Talk

Advanced search

Neighbour bashing on window

(68 Posts)
PumpkinP Wed 18-Sep-19 23:11:08

I live in a gf maisonette. I’ve lived here for 3 years and never had any trouble. I have a child with autism who has significant night time needs and gets hrc for this. A few months ago a man and woman moved in above.

The first I knew was him screaming out the window telling me about my daughter crying at night. He was very aggressive ranted about paying rent and not being council, whatever that had to do with anything. I just told him fair enough and went in. Nothing from him again but made a conscious effort to try to keep the noise down. Roll on to tonight my daughter is upstairs in bed but is struggling to settle, she’s chatting and I’m trying to get her to sleep. Bed time has always been difficult. I’m standing in her room and hear a bang on the window. I Was abit confused and thought I must be imagining it. Then again another bang, I look out to see the upstairs neighbour is bashing a broom against my window from his window above. Literally wtf, I was so shocked I’ve come down stairs with dd who is equally scared. I don’t know what to do? I’m honestly shaking. For context I think the man has some kind of anger issues as I regularly hear arguments between him and his partner.

WarshipWarrior Wed 18-Sep-19 23:50:55

Did you phone 101 OP? he sounds like such a twat.

PumpkinP Wed 18-Sep-19 23:51:41

Thanks SummerWhisper my daughter is terrified now and refusing to go back upstairs, surprised people can justify it!

PaulHollywoodsleftbollockhair Wed 18-Sep-19 23:54:28

I would challenge him directly and tell him you have a child with autism who was frightened by his behaviour tonight. Let him know you regularly tolerate unacceptable noise from his flat and that if there is anymore of his aggression you will involve the police.

LittleMy20 Wed 18-Sep-19 23:57:05

Call the police it’s harrasmrnt.

LittleMy20 Wed 18-Sep-19 23:58:17

Contact your children’s services too- if this gets worst they must move you. You should not have to tolerate this.

chickenyhead Thu 19-Sep-19 00:06:46

Outrageous

He could have broken the window in a child's bedroom. What ever happened to having a reasonable chat with neighbours rather than resorting to default aggression. Do not excuse his behaviour, he is a disgusting bully.

I would be tempted to video any further acts on your phone too.

I hope that your daughter is ok soon xxx

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 00:09:43

Hope it’s doesn’t get worse I don’t think I can even sleep now. Called 101 but they said they are going to pass it to my local safer neighbourhood team which feels abit like I was fobbed off I mean will they actually visit him? Definitely calling the council and seeing if I can call his landlord in the morning. I’ve tried to ask my daughter if this is the first time this has happened but she hasn’t been able to tell me.

hittheroadjack1 Thu 19-Sep-19 00:10:46

Open it and steal his broom.

I hope you and your dd are ok.

BananasAreTheSourceOfEvil Thu 19-Sep-19 00:14:47

Personally I’d call them back and tell them your dd can’t sleep because of the asshole with a broom.

If someone was bashing on my bedroom window this time of night I’d see it as a blatant act of aggression and intimidation and want them dealt with now- not a fecking email to someone who’ll put it on their to do list.

AdoraBell Thu 19-Sep-19 00:20:54

Definitely report to the police. And if DD doesn’t settle for the next couple of nights, or he repeats this I would tell your GP, or whoever is best for her support.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 00:29:53

How on earth do I find out who the LL is?? Looking on land registry. Is it title resister? Still so fuming that someone can act like that and think it’s normal. I don’t want him to get away with scaring my child like that

Itslookinglikeabeautifulday Thu 19-Sep-19 00:30:36

I would feel fobbed off by 101 too in your position. Definitely call the police. I think your neighbour’s reaction is deplorable. Hope you are able to get your DD (and yourself) settled tonight flowers

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 00:30:48

register*

Itslookinglikeabeautifulday Thu 19-Sep-19 00:38:26

I think you’re on right track re Land Registry, but it seems you’ll have to pay £3 to find out ( I looked here eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/eservices/FindAProperty/view/QuickEnquiryInit.do). Maybe someone else on Mumsnet can better advise....

BanKittenHeels Thu 19-Sep-19 00:40:01

You might be able to find the old listing for their flat on Rightmove if you google your postcode.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 19-Sep-19 00:44:34

Bloody hell OP he is a nutter.
Please do not challenge him. I think do call the police but at the same time I'd be worried about his behaviour after the police visit him, some people dont give a fuck about authority.
Definitely report him but be on your guard, I am not trying to scare you.
Goodluck it is awful how neighbours can ruin your home life. flowers

EmeraldShamrock Thu 19-Sep-19 00:47:56

Contact your local council to check if it is tenant registered, some parts of England need to register tenants.
If you are in Scotland NI or Wales it should be registered.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 00:55:45

I’m still awake, looks like a night on the sofa for me and dd as couldn’t get her back upstairs. We are in London. Im worried how he will act aswell as he seems unhinged.

TheTeenageYears Thu 19-Sep-19 01:20:18

Do you know if they rent through an agent? If so you could approach the agents and explain your circumstances for them to pass on. It will let the agents and potentially the landlord know of the tenants behaviour but also make the tenants aware of your situation. Hopefully knowing it’s not just someone allowing their child to scream the place down regularly and for no reason will make the tenants think and act differently- preferably with a bit of understanding.

EmeraldShamrock Thu 19-Sep-19 02:06:42

There needs to be harsher laws and action against antisocial neighbours.
Don't worry OP lock the place up well, go to the local police station tomorrow tell them you dont want them to call you but to note it as intimation, tell them you need a quick response if he kicks off.
I'd let this go as far as he thinks, keep a diary, he sounds like an absolute arsehole.
If he does it again, shout back at him then ring the police, he is a bully.

PatricksRum Thu 19-Sep-19 02:37:36

OP call 999.
I had an unhinged neighbour like this too, banging on my door because my hair straighteners were keeping him up confused
He then was trying to swing for me.
Not 101, 999 definitely.

Sausageandpicklesandwiches Thu 19-Sep-19 05:55:36

The register on Land Regi will tell you who owns the property. It might have several options, probably obviously but you want the freehold.

Hope you got some sleep.

PumpkinP Thu 19-Sep-19 10:07:16

Thanks everyone, we stayed on the sofa and it will probably be the same again tonight as she was still upset this morning. I called the council who said they would write to him. I’m just worried that this is going to escalate, I’ve found out who the landlord is, do I write to them or just leave it now? The thing is they are loud themselves they must think I don’t hear them, I hear them talking, every foot step I hear their baby cry, them arguing, I hear them hoovering etc I just think the sound proofing is very poor in the flats.

chickenyhead Thu 19-Sep-19 10:24:53

Definitely write to the landlord.

He might think twice if it could actually affect him, a letter from the council is unlikely to.

Neron Thu 19-Sep-19 10:36:47

I feel for you OP, and agree that his behaviour most definately is not acceptable. It's not fair you're now feeling as you do, and it's not your fault.

That said, I do see his frustration, which I feel this ultimately is. I live in a new build, the lack of insulation means I too hear everything. It's been hell. Secondly, in my second job I work with those who have severe physical and learning difficulties - when they are in the midst of it, they are exceptionally loud and they don't understand reasoning. In your case this is happening at night and it's keeping them awake too. I suspect his private comment was him trying to say (meanly) that he needs to sleep because he has to go to work, and implying you don't have to?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »