Talk

Advanced search

College are making a huge deal of changing two letters of dds name on the register.

(50 Posts)
PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 14:37:04

Can anyone explain why?

Dd was born as one name (think Jennifer Smith)
When she was in secondary school, this later legally changed to Jennifer Jones legally.

She hated 'Jennifer (not the actual name) for reasons relating to her Dad who she is now no contact with so when she was 16 she by deed poll changed it to Jennie literally talking two letters out legally by deed poll.

She applied to college as Jennie.
The bank is now Jennie, her bus pass is now Jennie, her passport is in the process of being changed to Jennie.

Her results certificate from school came as Jennifer as that is what it was when she was at school so college have changed it to that.
She has no external exams this year so it isn't a problem apart from her things are coming as Jennifer which is working her up.

I offered a bank statement to prove her name and her bus pass which both required ID obviously but they want the deed poll.

That's fine I can provide it once it comes back from the passport office eventually but I just wondered why it was a big issue in the first place really given at 16 kids can do their own deed poll legally anyway?

Purpleartichoke Wed 18-Sep-19 14:41:35

It is completely normal to need to provide legal documentation of a name. A bank statement doesn’t count.

Minxmumma Wed 18-Sep-19 14:43:39

College have to see the deed poll regardless. Went through this with my twins when they were 17.

However short term could college add a note to her file stating prefers to be known as Jennie?

Petalbird Wed 18-Sep-19 14:45:48

Why do you only have one deed poll certificate. Some places keep them can't remember if passport may be one of them ......

PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 14:48:37

Thanks Minx that's what I'm trying to sort out now.
Petalbird dd did it herself as she is 16 and only ordered one. If passport office keep it she will have to get more!

FiddlesticksAkimbo Wed 18-Sep-19 15:18:18

I don't see why the number of letters matters. You must be able to see that they can't give out certificates in any name of your choosing without proper legal verification.

WhatTiggersDoBest Wed 18-Sep-19 15:19:23

I changed my name (think Elizabeth to Beth) and even though my passport etc are all in my new name, I still have to show my deed poll sometimes. Honestly if she'd already changed her name before she did her GCSEs the school should have entered her in for the exams under the correct name as she's now going to have to explain that she changed her name every time she uses those certificates (which isn't often, admittedly, once she's out of education). The college are NBU to be sure there's a link (the deed poll) between the certificates and the person studying. But if the school knew, they were definitely BU to enter her in for exams under the wrong name. It might be worth writing to the exam board explaining the situation, sending in the deed poll, and getting new statements of results or certificates sent out in the correct name if they'll do that given the circumstances (that the name was wrong at the time the exams were taken)? It's not like she changed it afterwards and wants new certificates.

Toooldtocareanymore Wed 18-Sep-19 15:25:56

a friends mother and brother made a slight adjustment to their surname, many reasons for this, mainly,two people at the mothers place of work with exact same name and first initial, so she made a small change, which one of her sons copied, when that son went to uni he had exact same issue they said their offer of place was to x person based on his school and exam results, the degree would also have to be to the same name unless they had deed poll proof, to avoid fraud.

butteryellow Wed 18-Sep-19 15:30:30

Depending on how/where you got it, can they send you a duplicate? I just went through a very established website, and they sent me one, and kept one on file, so when I realised I couldn't find the original, they DHLed me a new copy - very efficient, and saved my bacon!

PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 15:35:13

Oh absolutely FiddlesticksAkimbo
Just with it being such a small change and obviously from the same name I didn't really consider how big of an issue it was really as I have a friend whose son was one name at primary school and a different name due to marriage of his Mum and Dad by the time he started at his small (might be relevant) private secondary school, now at college with his new name but no one has ever checked that it had been changed legally, Mum just went in and told them and because he had been telling them all about the wedding they just changed it. So it seemed a bit hit and miss!

Birdsfoottrefoil Wed 18-Sep-19 15:38:04

If she says she is exploring her gender they will fall over themselves to change her name (and recorded sex) with out any further identification.

verticality Wed 18-Sep-19 16:01:59

Changing your name is actually quite a big administrative headache - and it goes on for a lifetime I'm afraid. She'll need that deedpoll evidence over and over again so make sure it's kept somewhere safe!

museumum Wed 18-Sep-19 16:03:05

Pretty sure they need to be absolutely sure that jennie really is the person who gained the qualifications in Jennifer’s name. I don’t imagine that it’s unheard of to attempt qualification fraud to get into college.

OrangeCinnamon Wed 18-Sep-19 16:12:27

It doesn't matter how big/small the change is they have a legal duty to record her under her legal name with the appropriate evidence. You wouldn't expect a bank to just change it without proper evidence so why would you expect a college to? It is really not worth getting het up about they are just doing their job.

whitershadeofpale Wed 18-Sep-19 16:12:41

You can just get a free deed poll template online and print it out, doesn't need to be on fancy paper or anything. I did it when my deed was at the DVLA and I needed to apply for a passport, it was fine. I'd just do that to save the fuss.

PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 16:24:43

I might just order some more verticality.

Yes I didn't think about stealing results really as dds results were not that great. I was thinking they have the same date of birth, same surname, same address and same photo as what info school provided (her senco stuff also had a photo) was enough to check she was who she said she was.
Makes sense though.

What's worrying me is the reason she got this deed poll is we lost her previous deed poll that said Jennifer Jones for the previous name change so when we did the new one and she decided to use Jennie Jones instead she was advised to do the name she was changing from as her birth name so that it would always tie back to her birth certificate rather than having a Jennifer Jones to Jennie Jones deed poll which didn't correlate to her birth certificate at all and had only been used officially for school so I reckon that will confuse them even more!
I'm going to have to get a third deed poll to link all three versions aren't I blush

PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 16:28:35

butteryellow thanks I will check.
I'm not getting het up OrangeCinnamon , I just wondered really. Dd is having a crisis but she will just have to wait!

whitershadeofpale so places accet those though? I have heard mixed reviews.

PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 16:29:35

Omg terrible spelling. My fingers are too podgy for the keys clearly.

00100001 Wed 18-Sep-19 16:37:59

Well, of course they need to make sure it's all official and correct. They might have the exam centre status revoked or the entire college could get shut down if they don't do things properly!

whitershadeofpale Wed 18-Sep-19 16:50:00

@PoppinsandPartridge the passport office did and I'm imagine they'd be the most particular. It's possible the college would be jobsworths about it I suppose, but it's free and takes all of 2 mins so you might as well try.

PoppinsandPartridge Wed 18-Sep-19 16:50:11

Yeah makes sense 00100001, as I said I just wondered really as I know so many people who have changed their kids names in one way or another and apart from reception applications no one has ever asked for ID. When I changed her name years ago at the doctors, and then recently with the dentist, opticians and even with HMRC no one ever asked for proof.

nokidshere Wed 18-Sep-19 16:50:40

I added letters to my name when I was In junior school (think Kate to Katy). I have never changed my name officially but my birth certificate is the only thing I own with my original name on. You don't have to change your name officially as long as it's not for fraudulent reasons. I'm almost 60 and I've never been stopped or asked for clarification, Ive used my birth certificate as proof for other things (such as passports, driving licence, bank accounts etc) ever since I was 18.

whitershadeofpale Wed 18-Sep-19 16:51:06

www.gov.uk/change-name-deed-poll/make-an-adult-deed-poll I just followed the instructions here.

AbsinthedelaBonchance Wed 18-Sep-19 16:56:27

If you go to your local Magistrates' Court and say you want to make a Statutory Declaration of your change of name they will give you a form to write out saying the name change that you want send you in front of the next available Bench/District Judge - you make the declaration on oath/affirm - stat dec signed - back down to office to get it stamped and pay the fee. Did this on suggestion of Court Legal Advisor to clear up confusion between names on two documents. Far easier and cheaper - and has been useful over the years

wibbletooth Wed 18-Sep-19 16:58:15

I would get her several copies - so that there's enough for her to leave one with her exam results, one to keep with her passport, one to put with her wedding certificate (just in case! bit early hopefully to be thinking about it for now but if you're getting some done it's probably cheaper to do several together than one each time you need it), one to have at home with her in case she needs it for anything, one to have with her driving certificate, a couple to live at your house in case they're needed for something and she has lost ones at home or if you need to send her one if she is away from home in the future...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »