Talk

Advanced search

To pump on the train?

(251 Posts)
jamtomorrow1 Wed 18-Sep-19 08:51:02

My train journey is an hour each way. There are plug sockets. I feel that this is wasted expressing time and also my boobs hurt. Part of me fears getting the buzzing Tommee Tippee pump out but part of me really wants to see the facial expressions of the elderly male commuters around me. Thoughts?

KittyKel Wed 18-Sep-19 08:52:35

You can put a nursing cover on and be discreet. I doubt anyone would give it more than 2 seconds thought. The sound of the train will probably drown the sound out. You can get battery packs for most pumps these days, or get an Elvie for a really portable version.

TheQueef Wed 18-Sep-19 08:54:04

Pump away.

Celebelly Wed 18-Sep-19 08:54:59

I've found a manual pump easier to use in situations like that. I used it in the cinema a while ago and I don't think anyone even noticed.

Duchessofealing Wed 18-Sep-19 08:55:39

If you want to do it go ahead, but why be gleeful about upsetting or making your fellow commuters uncomfortable?

jamtomorrow1 Wed 18-Sep-19 08:56:22

Thanks guys. Has anyone tried an Elvie? It is a lot of money to spend but sounds potentially life changing...

sparklefarts Wed 18-Sep-19 08:57:39

Sorry I have nothing to add, I opened as I really thought this was going to be about farting on the train 😁

KittyKel Wed 18-Sep-19 08:57:47

I have one, it is life changing.

sparklefarts Wed 18-Sep-19 08:58:11

Ps , I think you should bash on with breast pumping

BlingLoving Wed 18-Sep-19 08:58:29

As a fellow commuter, I couldn't care less about you pumping except.... the noise of a pumping machine is extremely annoying and I would probably send you death glares for that. If you were using a quiet one (do those exist) or a hand pump that I wouldn't hear, I don't think I'd care.

jamtomorrow1 Wed 18-Sep-19 08:58:57

Duchess of Ealing - I am not normally a dreadful person but the last three months of commuting whilst heavily pregnant and quite uncomfortable introduced me to a lot of men who wouldn’t give up their seats when sitting in the designated pregnant lady spot. My childish comment was rather directed at them.

Butchyrestingface Wed 18-Sep-19 09:01:05

Sorry I have nothing to add, I opened as I really thought this was going to be about farting on the train 😁

I thought it was gonna be about a shagger. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

LakieLady Wed 18-Sep-19 09:01:27

Same here!

On a crowded commuter train, a stealth fart is probably the best way of getting yourself a bit of space.

TheQueens Wed 18-Sep-19 09:04:17

I thought farting, then changed my mind to exercise, boobs never entered my mind 🙈 to be honest I dont commute by train nor have I ever breast pumped but I'm sure there will be wiser people that will help smile

KUGA Wed 18-Sep-19 09:04:34

HAHAHAHAHA
That message has made my day I can`t stop laughing.
Thank you sparklefarts

Courtney555 Wed 18-Sep-19 09:05:43

part of me really wants to see the facial expressions of the elderly male commuters around me. Thoughts?

Thoughts would be grow up.

Of course use your pump. These "I'm breastfeeding/pumping, what's your problem" when it's done in a deliberately attention seeking manner get right on my nerves. No one cares. No one wants to randomly get presented with your unnecessarily over exposed tit on the morning commute either, and no, it's not their job "not to look" if you're already planning on taking enjoyment from making them notice. Have a bit of decorum and use a cover, no one will even notice that way. Why would you want to draw attention to yourself hmm

Celebelly Wed 18-Sep-19 09:06:03

I have two Elvies.

They are good but very expensive and do have some design issues. Also some women don't respond very well to the type of suction - I lent them to a friend and she got barely anything compared to her usual pump. I think I'd want to test one first before shelling out as they are not cheap.

SinkGirl Wed 18-Sep-19 09:07:54

Could you import some freemies if they make them for your model of pump, or hack them? I exclusively pumped for my twins for 7 months, every 2 hours and would definitely have done it on the train. I got some of those H&M nursing tops and jumpers that have layers draped over the front which were handy for covering up

TirisfalPumpkin Wed 18-Sep-19 09:08:20

Go for it. In terms of anti-social train activities, it doesn’t even feature in the top 20. Looking at you, woman with KFC family bucket, Prosecco party and man live-blogging his train experience loudly into his phone.

Bookworm4 Wed 18-Sep-19 09:08:29

Your attitude is what pisses people off, look at me I’m so special & different because I gave birth 🙄 Billions of us have and have no need to shock people, grow up.

DoctorAllcome Wed 18-Sep-19 09:09:25

No way would I pump on the train. They are very unhygienic places.

DoctorAllcome Wed 18-Sep-19 09:14:46

You know you are sharing the train with hundreds of cockroaches, fleas and bed bugs. Not to mention the fungus, bacteria and viruses at 14,000 times higher level than the average kitchen.
No way would I be pumping my baby’s food in that filth.

Unknownanon Wed 18-Sep-19 09:15:53

I always pumped on the train. I had a warm shawl over me as it was winter anyway. I used a manual pump, pumped both into one bottle on my commute. No one ever noticed and it was such a relief.

Schuyler Wed 18-Sep-19 09:18:44

I mean, I wouldn’t but other people do all sorts of personal things on the train...

SinkGirl Wed 18-Sep-19 09:23:22

There’s some ridiculous responses here. Some people clearly have no clue how funny others can be about pumping - it’s viewed totally differently to breastfeeding.

When my twins were 9 weeks one had to be admitted to the children’s HDU as he was really ill - one doctor acted like I was urinating on the floor when he came in and I was pumping, and a nurse hurriedly pulled the curtains around me because there was a father in the next bay (asleep, with his curtains drawn, in the middle of the night).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »