Talk

Advanced search

To think 1 year old child is too young to compete?

(35 Posts)
TakeABreakAt12 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:38:03

A (currently) very famous celebrity has posted recently that her 1.5 year old DC is going to be competing in the Royal London Horse Show shock She qualified, apparently.

I've been out of the equestrian world for around 8 years now but the youngest child I remember ever competing was about 3, and that was surprising.

AIBU to think it's a bit young?

BalanchineBallet Mon 16-Sep-19 22:42:13

In what class?!

My daughter “rode” at less than 2 years old, but not competing like that!

ChangeOfTides Mon 16-Sep-19 22:43:15

How is it even possible?!

TakeABreakAt12 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:43:25

Balanch I have no idea! Perhaps lead rein?

I must admit she looks extremely cute in her canary yellow johds, tie, hat, shirt and blazer!

Slomi Mon 16-Sep-19 22:44:08

I have a one year old and there is no way hell on earth I would place her on top of a 500kg animal and let her off. She doesn't understand the concept of falling properly yet. WTF??

TakeABreakAt12 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:44:31

Here's the post

Skinnychip Mon 16-Sep-19 22:44:48

I don't know anything about horse riding but would imagine a 1 year old (child!) is too young to actively compete at anything?

TakeABreakAt12 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:46:04

Skinny I don't really understand how she qualified. She's extremely cute all suited and booted but even a lead rein class requires poise on top of the pony.

A 1/1.5 year old surely can't have the posture to do that?

AwkwardPaws27 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:53:03

She has a special saddle that basically "bookends" the child and holds her in position - no posture or balance needed.

TakeABreakAt12 Mon 16-Sep-19 22:59:12

I didn't think those special saddles would be allowed - They alter the riders position completely.

Obviously it's a child's competition class but even still, the world of horse show/eventing is usually very strict across the board

Bringonspring Mon 16-Sep-19 23:07:13

It’s beyond ridiculous to put a 1 year old on a horse. What if the horse bolted? I imagine someone must have to hold the reins but really it’s craxy. Plenty of time when older. She probably thought the outfits were cute

AwkwardPaws27 Mon 16-Sep-19 23:14:49

A lead-rein class isn't judged on the child but on the pony - so although those saddles do seem a bit unfair, the child's job is mainly to not cry look like they are enjoying themselves. The judges will be more interested in the pony and how it responds to the leader (who is the person actually controlling it).

Starksforthewin Mon 16-Sep-19 23:19:43

Having watched Rosie on the trotting pony, I am extremely concerned about her neck and spine. The saddle only supports the lower back and when trotting her neck is absolutely bouncing, with the helmet on top.

Absolutely no need for a child that young to be doing this, all for her mother’s Instagram lifestyle. 🙄

westcountrychicken Mon 16-Sep-19 23:23:15

I used to have one of those saddles, great for children but designed to fit no pony I have ever owned. My one year old does have her own pony and loves horses but there's no way she'd sit through a showing class. She does enjoy the odd little trot though but literally about 10 yards!

User09201224 Mon 16-Sep-19 23:45:23

At 1.5 years old a child can't ride. She's purely sat bouncing along on what I deem to be a made pony. That's not riding. But each to their own.

BalanchineBallet Mon 16-Sep-19 23:55:45

I’ve also just had a look. The “Royal London” is not remotely connected to the big shows. It is a nice achievement, but not HOYS. It’s at a venue not far from Milton Keynes.

And to qualify, she just had to get placed or for the above her to have already qualified. I doubt there’s much riding involved ;)

Rubyupbeat Tue 17-Sep-19 00:05:13

Mine 'competed" on their show ponies from around 2.5, but it was lead rein, they sat there, very well I may add, or led them out, but it was our ponies being judged totally, .

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Tue 17-Sep-19 00:30:27

q

roseenglishrose Tue 17-Sep-19 00:45:06

Very famous celebrity? I have absolutely no idea who she is!

Otterseatpuffinsdontthey Tue 17-Sep-19 00:58:14

"Mummy" needs to contact the North Mymms Riding Club. They have published the results for the 4th August 2019.
According to what they have printed, Rosie wasn't 3rd place in the Tiny Tots Lead Rein winkwink

1forAll74 Tue 17-Sep-19 01:22:37

Who is this very famous celebrity, I have never heard of here. What is she famous for? But whoever, I hope she keeps her small child safe.

FrancisCrawford Tue 17-Sep-19 01:37:42

My late DF swore blind he had bandy legs bcos he was put on a pony at too young an age.

Shetlandponyranger Tue 17-Sep-19 01:48:21

Maybe it was tack and turnout? So just sat looking pretty and walking around the arena once or twice.
Is that’s class at Royal London? Bit far for us so never competed there.

JustMe81 Tue 17-Sep-19 01:52:38

Samantha Faires and her friend Luisa Zuisman both have their young kids doing horse riding lessons and classes. Luisa especially is very passionate about horses and owns a few of her own If I remember correctly. Im sure at that age it’s not really about competing for the child, more just sitting nicely and looking cute.

JustMe81 Tue 17-Sep-19 01:53:46

@1forAll74 she started on The Only Way Is Essex I think, she now has her own reality show “The Mummy Diaries”

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »