Talk

Advanced search

To be embarrassed to have the same car?

(60 Posts)
KyraLittle Mon 16-Sep-19 17:02:05

Husband is buying a new car which we will be sharing. He’s been looking over the weekend and he’s decided on one he likes.

We currently live in a flat. It’s a block of 6 so we know each other well and one of them owns the exactly same model and in the same colour.

I said I don’t know why but I would feel embarrassed parking up on the same small driveway in the literal exact same car.

Husband said I’m turning down a good car for no reason.

(I’m not being a snob because it’s actually a nice car but ... I’d just feel like we were trying to copy them)

PizzaCrunch Mon 16-Sep-19 17:03:28

It seems silly and you'll get loads of replies saying youre ridiculous... but I know what you mean grin

GloriaMaximus Mon 16-Sep-19 17:18:08

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. Out of all of the makes/models/colours combos..having the exact same is a little odd 😬

Spam88 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:19:24

You're obviously more limited when you're buying second hand so it would be a silly reason to pass on a good car. I'm sure the feelings of ridiculousness will soon pass grin

PinkiOcelot Mon 16-Sep-19 17:19:32

I think I would feel the same OP.

Bunnybigears Mon 16-Sep-19 17:20:32

It is silly really but I would feel the same, just seems a bit odd.

Bluntness100 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:21:13

I think most people would feel the same seem deep down, there is literally thousands of car makes models and colour variations, to go for the exact same one in the exact same colour does smack of copying.

Densol999 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:23:56

Depends what the car is. A Ford or other popular make, defo not.
A Bentley or Lamborghini - bit more tricky grin

DementorsKiss Mon 16-Sep-19 17:25:21

I would at least choose a different colour, then it would be ok

missbattenburg Mon 16-Sep-19 17:26:04

My neighbour bought exactly the same car as me about three months after I did.

Such is life...

HopeClearwater Mon 16-Sep-19 17:27:21

^ to go for the exact same one in the exact same colour does smack of copying^

Not if there are thousands of grey Ford Fiestas in the UK ...

Ponoka7 Mon 16-Sep-19 17:27:27

Just look out for the thread about you copying your neighbour grin

Odoreida Mon 16-Sep-19 17:30:10

we were DELIGHTED when a family we were sharing with on holiday (accommodation allotted by the organisation) had exactly the same car as us - make colour year everything. It was magical. Maybe your neighbour will feel the same ... maybe not. I think if it's a good vehicle and you're buying it second hand so less choice you should definitely go for it. Maybe less so if it's new.

KyraLittle Mon 16-Sep-19 17:32:46

You're obviously more limited when you're buying second hand so it would be a silly reason to pass on a good car. I'm sure the feelings of ridiculousness will soon pass

I definitely wouldn’t think purchasing a second hand car is limited. He had bloody thousands to pick from.

He picked an Audi A1 if that’s relevant.

Nice enough car. But not nice enough for our neighbours to think “keeping up the Jones” type thing.

Honestly DH is pissed at me and when I gave him my reason looked at me like I had 3 heads.

bluebeck Mon 16-Sep-19 17:33:06

I had never thought for a second that anyone would have a problem with this blush

I have the EXACT same car as my neighbour. We both think it's hilarious when we are trying to unlock each others cars grin

BigFatLiar Mon 16-Sep-19 17:34:11

Just make sure you get in the correct car when you go out.

verticality Mon 16-Sep-19 17:34:36

I would turn it into a positive compliment. When you see them say "We just loved your car so much that we decided to buy the same one! It's a bit embarrassing, but aren't they just so lovely and perfect? So you're now definitely trendsetters around here!" Only someone insanely insecure and juvenile could think that a choice of car really singles you out as an individual. They make millions of the same models. You might as well believe that everyone with the same star sign shares the same characteristics!

EleanorAbernathy Mon 16-Sep-19 17:35:25

I accidentally bough exactly the same car as the lady who owns the business across the road from our house. Same colour and model and everything but hers is normally cleaner than mine!

It is a little bit embarrassing as she got hers first (we both upgraded from older models of the same car too....) but I love the car so sod it! It briefly confuses me sometimes when hers is parked in my usual spot.grin

KyraLittle Mon 16-Sep-19 17:35:34

we were DELIGHTED when a family we were sharing with on holiday (accommodation allotted by the organisation) had exactly the same car as us - make colour year everything. It was magical.

But why? What was the benefit? confused

lololove Mon 16-Sep-19 17:39:43

As children my dad and the house next door but one had the same car - not just once but three times. grin. It was the same colour and everything all the times over what... 11 years until we moved away! My dad couldn't care less what he drove as long as it was worth the money so unless our neighbour (who we were friends with as a family) actively copied it was just a co-incidence each time.

Expressedways Mon 16-Sep-19 17:41:00

I would buy the car I wanted and not be so worried about what the neighbours might think. Can you find the same model with comparable spec, mileage etc. for the same price or cheaper in a different colour? If yes then by all means go for that instead if you want but your DH has done his research and this is a great deal then I think you’re being a bit silly.

Also not planned as we bought the car first but we had the exact same car as our upstairs neighbours when we moved into our place. He just upgraded his to the newer model and we’re planning on doing the same next year (not because of him, I promise!).

Durgasarrow Mon 16-Sep-19 17:49:08

I understand--you don't want to be matchy-matchy

CakeAndGin Mon 16-Sep-19 17:53:30

I used to have the same make and model and colour as one of our neighbours. Hers was a 57 reg and mine was a 55 but they even had scratches in the same place. She bought hers after us but I didn’t think they were copying. It was a silver Ford Focus, so pretty common. No problems other than when she parked in my usual spot once and I forgot the next morning and wondered why my car wasn’t unlocking.

plunkplunkfizz Mon 16-Sep-19 18:03:36

It was magical.

That is a desperately odd thing to say.

Itsacakebaby Mon 16-Sep-19 18:05:59

I'd definitely feel the same as you too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »