Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be absolutely disgusted with myself?

(224 Posts)
Buginmyrug Sat 14-Sep-19 02:32:57

NC because of the shame involved.

Back in May I started getting an itchy scalp. I tried to ignore it and hoped it would go away by using different hair products, the change of season, blah blah. It has been getting worse, though, so I googled and deduced I probably had seborrhoeic dermatitis. I booked a GP appointment and was considering buying some Neutrogena T-gel.

Then this evening A BUG FELL OUT OF MY HAIR. I have fucking LICE and I didn't know! My DD (16) spotted it and was really shocked. She then had a good look at my scalp and could see at least 4 or 5 creatures crawling about. Even typing this makes me want to curl into the foetal position. I freaked out and rushed out to the nearest 24-hour supermarket, and have spent the last few hours scraping my scalp with a nit comb until it practically bled (I cannot tell you the stuff I pulled out) and applying the overnight treatment to shampoo off tomorrow.

I'm ashamed, mortified and disgusted. Four months! I have stayed with friends, been to the hairdresser, gone on holiday... How did this happen? Is this normal? Do other adult women randomly get nits? My DD hasn't got any, we don't think (of course we'll do the treatment on her tomorrow too, just in case). Should I have thought of it sooner? Is it my fault? And is it like an STD? Do I have to warn anyone I might have infected? The shame!

I'm sitting here freaking out, wondering what the heck I will find on the towel that is currently wrapped around my head tomorrow. Sleep seems an impossibility.

If this has ever happened to any of you, please put my mind at ease. I've never had lice in my life - just in case this seems a bit of an overreaction.

BitchyArriver Sat 14-Sep-19 02:35:58

Poor you! I’ve never had nits as an adult but always thought it would be the BEST excuse for being off work.

Sorry

Misses point of thread completely

flowers

Jupiters Sat 14-Sep-19 02:40:05

I'm really not an expert, but I think if you'd had nits since May you would have found out before today, so the itchy scalp and the nits may not be connected.
I have had flaky scalp before and T-gel completely cleared it up.

Shelvesoutofbooks Sat 14-Sep-19 02:40:16

It's just lice - make sure to wash all your bedding on a hot wash, change your hairbrush and you're pretty much good!

madcatladyforever Sat 14-Sep-19 02:42:11

Poor you. I too have been similarly misled by the little beasts and I'm an ex nurse.
You don't always realise you have them.
I usually catch them off friends kids. Itching now lol.

Mediumred Sat 14-Sep-19 02:43:41

Aww!! It’s a long time ago (before kids, I was in my 20s) and I went to the doctors with my itching and he said it was probably an allergy, and then I later found a bloomin nit!! Gah!! They are fuckers! I didnt even know any children at the time, I always thought it must have been the tube/bus, who knows, but, yes, random adult women can get nits! Try not to freak out, you are treating them now!

madcatladyforever Sat 14-Sep-19 02:45:03

BTW tomorrow you will be lice free and the buggers will all be dead. Just make sure you do a thorough final comb to get the eggs off. Onectreatment does the job. It will be such a relief you won't believe it.

Jozen Sat 14-Sep-19 02:45:43

I'm surprised the hairdresser didn't notice! As pp was saying perhaps the itchy scalp and lice aren't connected and the lice are recent.
I do feel your pain though, I caught headlice from DD years ago. My hair was easier to treat than hers as I was more patient with the treatment and combing.
You'll soon be rid of them. I wonder where you picked them up from though.

SweetMarmalade Sat 14-Sep-19 02:49:03

I haven’t had headlice but Ds has.

The only thing I used was the nitty gritty comb and conditioner. Combed through for ages, rinsed, repeated.

Hope you get rid of the bleeders soon flowers

OwlBeThere Sat 14-Sep-19 02:50:09

It’s only headlice. Calm down. It happens, you’ll want to check the rest of your family for them too. There isn’t any need to boil wash bedding or change hairbrushes either, they don’t live anywhere except the hair.

Oddbutnotodd Sat 14-Sep-19 02:52:54

There is no need to be ashamed. If you had lice when you had your hair cut the hairdresser would have seen them and told you. Also they would probably have fallen out when brushed your hair. I caught lice from my children once and I can remember the slight horror I felt. No need to really freak out!

As long as you repeat the combing every few days to check they’ve gone you’ll be fine. I used to comb my hair over a sheet of white paper to see if anything live fell out! Hope your scalp isn’t too sore. 💐

pollyglot Sat 14-Sep-19 02:59:41

I worked in a very posh boarding school, and one of my duties, as a house parent, was to check the kids' hair for nits in the shower every night. Every kid had them, at some stage or other. Nits are rife..anyone, anywhere can get them. Surprised that you hairdresser didn't spot them - i remember the first time my boys had an infestation, the barber refused to cut their hair - I was mortified that I hadn't seen them.

Urskeks Sat 14-Sep-19 03:05:49

I've had to treat myself before, when my youngest caught them, because I had dreadlocks and couldn't tell if my itching was psychosomatic or not. I've always been funny about putting my head that close to kids heads (since they both reached the most likely to catch nits age) and I'd check them often as well. So I think I was lucky but I've had to do the treatment.

fudgefeet Sat 14-Sep-19 03:10:46

I lived in a housing coop as a teenager and had an itchy head for a few months. It never occurred to me that it might be nits.
I only found out when I went to the hairdressers and they had to turn me away. I was mortified!
I combed through my hair that night and it was awful. I still cringe about it 20 years on. Turned out everyone in the coop had them and even worse many refused to do anything about it as it was “just nature”
I had to comb through my hair every day for about 6 months until I moved out.
I panic every time my head itches even today but one positive thing is I am great at de-licing my children.

ClaireElizabethBeauchampFraser Sat 14-Sep-19 03:15:35

I was getting my hair cut when a young girl came in for a hair up appointment for her prom that evening. She was being prepped by the junior when the junior let out a scream, dropped the brush and ran to her manager. What followed was my hairdresser refusing to style the girls hair due to nits, the Mother said ‘I know she does but I don’t have time to sort it tonight, can’t you just put her hair up’. The hairdresser gave her a dressing down for knowingly bringing her daughter in when she had nits!

I doubt your hairdresser would have continued with cutting your hair if you had nits when you were there! If there were only four then it’s a relatively new infection. I caught them after a hearing test at hospital, using the same earphones for every patient. I was newly married at the time and mortified to have to tell my husband! Thankfully his hair was so short that it was easy to treat (we caught it very quickly - I am pretty allergic to the blighters so my head feels like it is literally on fire)

pasturesgreen Sat 14-Sep-19 03:22:06

I'd be extremely surprised if the hairdresser didn't notice, more likely you haven't had it for as long as you think.

It's the middle of the night and things are bound to look worse than they are in reality: it's headlice, it happens, now you're treating it...So overall nothing to be ashamed or disgusted about.

Buginmyrug Sat 14-Sep-19 03:27:02

Thank you all for your kind words. I feel better and somewhat reassured. Onwards and upwards!

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 03:33:30

Ahh, the first time I had nits as am adult I was confused where they came from.

It's ok though.

They are just nits.

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 03:35:03

Nothing to be ashamed of.

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 03:37:31

And I've had them on and off for five years, it's FINE.

pallisers Sat 14-Sep-19 03:44:50

If it is any consolation when my kids got them we went to a nit nurse and she said they don't like older scalps ... so you are young!

Despite both my dds having them and occasionally sleeping with me, at the time I didn't. I was old!

I'd be amazed if the source of infection wasn't your dd. Check her out.

Also since you have live lice ... cover your head in olive oil, put a shower cap on and sleep on a towel. leave the oil in for 12 hours. Then wash out. It will smother/kill the live lice. Not the nits though - you need to comb them out with a nitty gritty comb using conditioner and kitchen paper.

Russell19 Sat 14-Sep-19 03:59:18

I have an electric lice brush that I use regularly to brush through as I am a teacher. It beeps if it comes across anything and zaps it. It's great.

Luckily never had lice but I get paranoid.

LiveInAHidingPlace Sat 14-Sep-19 04:01:28

I've had nits as an adult, it wasn't a very nice thought but it's not like I could help it, it just happened.

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 05:22:04

They bloody do like older scalps, not older men though.

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 05:25:48

They are just nits though, no need to freak out OP, what are you worried about?

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 05:26:38

It's npt shameful, how is it shameful?

ILikeyourHairyHands Sat 14-Sep-19 05:29:48

STDs aren't shameful either. It's just stuff that happens, don't go mad about it!

Toastymash Sat 14-Sep-19 05:35:26

Another person here who thinks it highly unlikely that a hairdresser wouldn't notice nits. I think you caught them recently.

lovemenorca Sat 14-Sep-19 05:42:58

Op
You need to wash everything! I had my sofas professionally cleaned!
And all family members should treat aswell

Surfskatefamily Sat 14-Sep-19 05:50:27

It's not that big a deal...dont kick yourself. Don't forget to retreat yourself in 2weeks

TheVoiceInTheShed Sat 14-Sep-19 05:58:05

Are you using a standard bit comb by the way? The chemicals didn't work and eggs were left in until I went to the expense of buying a 'Nitty Gritty' comb, it is amazing has sort of crossed tines and works properly, it's all you need to use with conditioner, gets the eggs out too.

MsTSwift Sat 14-Sep-19 06:01:28

Chill out! I sometimes get nits as do most of my friends. Perils of having affectionate kids at primary school. We nitty gritty with lots of conditioner after every other hair wash. Don’t just rely on the chemicals (bitter experience) you need to throughly nit comb regularly too. It’s no drama in the grand scheme of things.

MsTSwift Sat 14-Sep-19 06:02:14

You need a decent nitty gritty comb. The little plastic ones free with the stuff don’t cut it

Mouthfulofquiz Sat 14-Sep-19 06:08:12

I don’t think you have to have furniture professionally cleaned... the lice can only live on hair. I would have my furniture cleaned if there were fleas or bed bugs though!

Bifflepants Sat 14-Sep-19 06:24:38

It's no big deal. I work in a special school and I get nits at least once a year. A thorough combing once every three days soon sorts it out. It's very common.

autumnboys Sat 14-Sep-19 06:24:48

I get SB on my scalp & have recently had the joy of bits from my youngest too. I’ve also had my lovely hairdresser murmur into my ear that I’ve got nits and then she got me out of the salon on a pretext without a scene.

I’m sure you haven’t had them since May. You would have been crawling with them by now. Also, your hairdresser would have noticed, definitely. And the sore spots and itching of SB & nits really are very similar ime.

Hope you’re feeling better this morning. 💐

lovemenorca Sat 14-Sep-19 06:25:57

No you don’t have to have them professionally cleaned

But the advise is to clean on very hot wash bedding, towels, toys etc and what you can’t - bag up for a few days

And your dd and other family members should be treated

Crochetymum Sat 14-Sep-19 06:30:40

I caught nits off my daughter and it is embarrassing but happens to us all, and the stuff I put on was greasy for ages! Lyclear I think, but they were gone by the morning. As others said I don't think you'd have had them four months because there would be thousands of them and they would be massive. If you've got little ones then they've hatched on you but if they are all big then they have jumped on you! Not much to add, just I've been there, you can get rid. Change all you bedding/towels and clean your hairbrushes xx

Calledyoulastnightfromglasgow Sat 14-Sep-19 06:49:56

Same thing happened here and I’m meticulous about checking. My daughter had an itchy head for weeks. I said it was dandruff.

Thing is, little lice burrow deeply and are hard to see. I now undertake how they can be missed!

In my daughter’s case, I would check for lice and not see any.

After TWO months, the itchy hair was worrying me and I said we should go to the GP and she had her hair up for her dance show that night. She came out and her head was CRAWLING. Five of the fuckers. Just crawling.

Took me two weeks of daily combing to get rid. Other kids had them too by then.

They are just little insects. So try not to freak too much!

Janicejaniceahmfallin Sat 14-Sep-19 06:51:32

Aah, bless you - calm down, dear, it’s only nits grin!! I’ve had them a couple of times (DD’s school was rife with them at one point and I think quite a few of the mums copped a headful).

It’s a bit ick but nobody dies - just do as everyone’s suggested, bedding/towels on hot wash, dunk your hairbrushes in boiling water after use, treat with Hedrin or similar, Nitty Gritty nit comb. No need for sackcloth and ashes or drama-llama insomnia! Have a nice cup of tea and breathe ... wink

Vulpine Sat 14-Sep-19 06:54:52

You do not have to wash everything!

BillywilliamV Sat 14-Sep-19 06:55:00

Crumbs, if this is the only reason you have for being disgusted with yourself OP, then you must be a saint!
I’ve had nits and worms since I was an adult, it’s not nice but a trip to the pharmacy deals with it.

BillywilliamV Sat 14-Sep-19 06:56:40

And they don’t do well off the body, wash your hairbrushes and combs, pillowcases if you must but otherwise you’re good to go.

Now if you had cat fleas,,they’re a real pain in the ...

Somebodystired Sat 14-Sep-19 06:57:41

Exactly the same thing happened to me a few months back and I was equally as horrified. I'd picked them up from my 2yo who must have got them from nursery.

My scalp had been itchy for at least a month before I figured out what it was. I didn't realise until I had a good scratch one day and then found one under my finger nail and I nearly threw up.

Janicejaniceahmfallin Sat 14-Sep-19 07:00:32

Oh, and you DO NOT need to have your furniture professionally cleaned, fumigate your entire house, wrap everything you own in cling film, put your dog in the freezer, etc. I mean, by all means give any other kids in the family a quick once over, but all the rest of it is bloody bonkers.

WTF0ver Sat 14-Sep-19 07:01:06

I got them when I was a teenager. Was itchy for a while before my mum noticed them. Yuck. I remember they made a very satisfying snapping sound when you pinched them with your fingernails.

I got the smelly lice shampoo asap and it sorted them. But I was finding the dead egg cases in my hair for years after shudder

GhostCurry Sat 14-Sep-19 07:05:42

“a young girl came in for a hair up appointment for her prom that evening. She was being prepped by the junior when the junior let out a scream, dropped the brush and ran to her manager.”

How incredibly unprofessional.

Thegullfromhull Sat 14-Sep-19 07:08:52

Surely that hairdresser thing didn’t happen. It’s totally unprofessional and dramatic? Hairdressers see lots of lice and other horrible things

ArgumentativeAardvaark Sat 14-Sep-19 07:26:28

Hairdressing juniors are often teenage girls who have only been there 5 minutes, I can well believe that one was a drama queen.

ArgumentativeAardvaark Sat 14-Sep-19 07:28:54

I have had an itchy scalp recently OP, you’re giving me the willies. I have a 3 year-old but never had them as a child so have never seen a nit before, would not have occurred to me either!

Carthage Sat 14-Sep-19 07:36:35

I've had nits. My children constantly got them as they got reinfected as soon as we got rid of them. They were discovered once by my hairdresser. It was fine. I'm sure it happens all the time. Don't worry OP and just check regularly.

everyonecaneffoff Sat 14-Sep-19 08:15:28

I had them once as an adult too.
I remember being absolutely mortified when I saw a big one in the mirror crawling through the hair at my forehead. I wondered how many other people had seen the fuckers crawling around and not mentioned it. I imagined everyone laughing behind my back.
I had absolutely loads of the fuckers. I got rid of them with a nit comb and conditioner - did this every other night for what seemed like months until I was absolutely sure they had completely gone.
Never had them again since then.

It's a rite of passage! Most people get them at some point in their lives. But yeah, they are horrible.

Beautiful3 Sat 14-Sep-19 08:15:44

You haven't had them for long. Trust me the hairdresser would have seen them and turned you away. I think your scalp condition is a separate issue from the head lice. So still see your dr about it. It's just headlice, no need to be embarrassed.

Ariadnepersephonecloud Sat 14-Sep-19 08:30:02

This happened to me once in my early twenties. I didn't have children so it never occurred to me it could be nits! It was about two months of an itchy scalp, trying various shampoos etc and not sleeping properly until one day I was visiting my mum and she saw one. I was horrified!

Ariadnepersephonecloud Sat 14-Sep-19 08:30:46

PS now I have children I've had them heaps but back then, Pre children, it was a nasty shock!

Neolara Sat 14-Sep-19 08:35:16

If you had 4 nits four months ago, by now you would have thousands. Nits breed like absolutele buggers.

CatteStreet Sat 14-Sep-19 08:35:53

Oh dear, OP. You are seriously overreacting, but going by some of the posts on this thread, you are not alone in your reaction to head lice ('nits' I believe is the term for the remains of the eggs).

'Oh, and you DO NOT need to have your furniture professionally cleaned, fumigate your entire house, wrap everything you own in cling film, put your dog in the freezer, etc. I mean, by all means give any other kids in the family a quick once over, but all the rest of it is bloody bonkers.'

This x 100000!

I am presuming the shame thing is a residual societal hangover from the days when human parasites (of various kinds) were common among people who lived in poverty and poverty was regarded as something to be ashamed of, but I would have hoped we were past that (both of those things) by now. We really shouldn't be passing these messages on to our children.

CatteStreet Sat 14-Sep-19 08:37:07

'human' parasites meaning 'parasites who pick human hosts'

starflake Sat 14-Sep-19 08:38:27

I would say the lice are a recent thing. Why many adult woman don't get them is because we dye & straighten our hair, both of which kill the lice. If u have dyed your hair or repeatedly straightened your hair in the last 4 months I highly doubt the lice have survived

OrchidInTheSun Sat 14-Sep-19 08:40:18

Nits =/= fleas

Uniformuniformuniform Sat 14-Sep-19 08:40:50

Hedrin is amazing. But whatever treatment you use please do it again 7 days later it will kill anything that hatched and comb. One treatment is not enough!

Onemorefortheroad Sat 14-Sep-19 08:47:20

Noticed others saying whole family need treated. When my daughter had them I treated myself and the pharmacist said that wasn't the right thing to do. Only treat people who have them. You can still go through everyone's hair with the comb and conditioner but apparently they are becoming resistant to the actual treatment stuff so should only be used when necessary apparently!

Good luck!

MarthasGinYard Sat 14-Sep-19 08:48:11

Op bless you thanks

I was heavily pregnant and being treated for all kinds of itching on my neck scalp etc. I Didn't work with dc, didn't have any myself etc.

I scratched my head about a month into this itching and saw something black under my fingernail.

My goodness it was horrific. I was completely lousy with lice. It took 3 treatments over a week and hours of combing through with my best friend to get rid. I was actually finding dead ones on my pillow throughoutsad

I felt as you do, but my friend and I look back and chuckle.

'True friendship is about spending 3 hour sessions with a tooth comb de lousing your bestie in need'

Dd is 9 she's only had them once but I was terrified. It was nothing like my infestation though.

StillMedusa Sat 14-Sep-19 08:49:12

My oldest friend is a high flying business woman.. spends a lot of time talking to no 10 Downing Street etc. One day she was in a meeting, absentmindedly scratched her itchy head and watched in horror as the dislodged nit tootled off across the table grin

Nits are a pain to deal with but nothing shameful. I work in school and unfortunately have caught them lots of times over the years.. I keep Hedrin in the house!

Just treat, get a good comb, and then retreat smile

MerryMarigold Sat 14-Sep-19 08:53:56

I don't think you had nits when you went to the hairdresser. They would have seen them when combing, parting, cutting etc.

I've never had nits and now my head feels itchy! We are dealing with our rental property in which the outgoing tenants have kindly left bedbugs and I feel itchy everytime I enter it. It's gross. I have never had bedbugs or nits, but not sure why as I'm not particularly clean.

Nextphonewontbesamsung Sat 14-Sep-19 08:59:15

Ffs. I thought you were going to admit to something truly shameful like voting leave or something. You need to get a bit of perspective. There are hundreds of posters on Mumsnet right now, this very minute, who have cancer in it's various forms. Ridiculous levels of drama over a few nits!!

AltheaVestr1t Sat 14-Sep-19 08:59:32

Nothing to do with cleanliness at all, I’m amazed that you have a 16yr day DD and you’ve never had them before! It’s not a big deal.

Thehop Sat 14-Sep-19 09:01:51

I work in a nursery, so I’ve had bits more as an adult than I did as a child.

I use a nitty gritty comb every time I condition now and that haven’t come back since

RandomMess Sat 14-Sep-19 09:05:54

I've only had them once as an adult I was so itchy had been to the pharmacy and everything.

I blasted with chemicals to kill the adults then painstaking not comb (nitty gritty comb is the best). My scalp was so irritated it took months to calm down.

I'm bloody allergic to all insects, I had long hair and hives on my back angrysad

VerbenaGirl Sat 14-Sep-19 09:07:33

I’ve got nit comb envy! I want an electric one like Russell19!! My DDs got through Primary School lice free, but it’s been a problem on and off since they went to Secondary School, because they are allowed to wear their hair down. I’ve recently had it for the first time in my life, aged mid forties. I’ve actually been less freaked out about it than I thought I would. Combed through with lots of conditioner and nit comb every three days until i’ve had a couple of sessions with nothing coming out. Think you just have to accept that it’s part of life and really common. My hairdresser has always told me that they don’t like colour treated hair, but i’m bleach blonde and it obviously didn’t keep them away! They are little buggers though!!

imnotinthemood Sat 14-Sep-19 09:09:46

Poor you , I've had them as a adult but only because I caught them off my kids .
I suppose it would be the last thing I'd think of now .

Buginmyrug Sat 14-Sep-19 09:13:18

Thank you all for the constructive advice and your own stories, which are really helping me feel better.

I note what so many of you say about it not being possible to have them for so long without noticing. I guess once I (hopefully) get rid of the buggers I will see what happens to my scalp. I will go buy a Nifty Gritty comb this morning.

gerbo Sat 14-Sep-19 09:13:45

Please don't be so hard on yourself OP! I'm an Early Years teacher and reasonably often we have them!! One of the team will catch a few and we all comb to be safe. Really not a big deal, no one ever feel shame....

Good luck clearing up the dermatitis. And if maybe check your dd as teens are not immune, as a pp said, their heads are often glued together for selfies!

Bonkersblond Sat 14-Sep-19 09:13:47

I know someone who suffered an itchy scalp for near on 6 months, drive her mad, went to the Drs twice, finally got picked up when her husband saw a lice drop out her hair, I guess she was older, not round kids much, and wasn’t on hers or Drs radar, her reaction was one of relief as after the nit treatment she got relief!

Buginmyrug Sat 14-Sep-19 09:13:58

*Nitty not nifty!

RandomMess Sat 14-Sep-19 09:23:42

I was utterly infested! Had black under my finger nails when I scratched my head 🤮

I was just told to take anti histamines to reduce itching.

73Sunglasslover Sat 14-Sep-19 09:27:50

I have hair which seems to hide nits well. If my scalp gets itchy I treat us all and that seems to keep on top of it. They spread like wild-fire round schools.

katewhinesalot Sat 14-Sep-19 09:28:13

I checked my DD's hair because she said it was itchy. It looked fine and I sent her on her way. A while later I saw something move. Her whole head was swarming with them. How on earth I didn't notice sooner I have no idea. I felt like the worse mother in the world.

In four months you wouldn't only have a few.

katewhinesalot Sat 14-Sep-19 09:29:17

A while later = a good few weeks later, I mean.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Sat 14-Sep-19 09:29:50

I feel for you!
The last time I was in the UK, we were about halfway through our trip (and had stayed at friends' houses as well as my Dad's) when it became apparent that my boys both had nits.
Not only that, but they'd had them since before we got to the UK (judging by the size and quantity of the fuckers).

AND - for the first time in my life - I had them too!! Never had them as a child, or any of the other times my kids have had them, but this time - yeah.
Thanks kids.

It did give me the chance to buy a Nitty Gritty though, which is an excellent comb. AND the best stuff to get rid of them was Nitwit (which is actually an Aussie formula, and since they were Aussie nits, it worked really well)

So I cleared the boys in 2 goes (because I used Vamousse first, which didn't do it) and mine went after one go with Nitwits.

Can't fault the Nitty Gritty though - heaps more effective than any other comb, even metal ones, that I've used before.

And now my head is itching...

AnybodyWantAChip Sat 14-Sep-19 09:31:40

I'm now sitting here scratching my head .... gringringrin

AsTheWorldTurns Sat 14-Sep-19 09:38:08

I called my surgery demanding an appointment for an itchy scalp, and explained to the nurse that I absolutely did not have nits and that it was a skin disorder and I needed a referral to a dermatologist.

Sadly, it was nits.

Really feel for you, it's so grim.

TheNoodlesIncident Sat 14-Sep-19 09:38:58

One of the treatments for head lice is based on an oily formula - insects don't have lungs, they breathe through tiny holes in their exoskeletons, so a coating of oil all over them suffocates them. They cannot become immune to this, as it's not a chemical reaction per se. I think it's Hedrin, would have to go up and look in our bathroom cabinet to be sure. We've only had one infestation some six/seven years ago so have been quite lucky.

The threadworms on the other hand... so grim.

Totally agree with other posters, you've only had them a short time, the itchy scalp you had before was from an unrelated cause I'm sure. That screaming junior in the hairdressers a PP mentioned would have been well and truly ticked off by me if I was her manager - just imagine how embarrassed the young customer would have been! So thoughtless.

Rocketmanager Sat 14-Sep-19 09:48:50

. I thought you were going to admit to something truly shameful like voting leave or something. You need to get a bit of perspective. There are hundreds of posters on Mumsnet right now, this very minute, who have cancer in it's various forms. Ridiculous levels of drama over a few nits!!
There’s always one.

Op I’m interested to hear the other stuff you pulled out!

Spacecudet Sat 14-Sep-19 09:50:22

This has happened to me. I went to a christening with my DSs and then stayed at a friends over night and the following day found out that my youngest DS and I were crawling with lice! I was mortified, spent the day treating the pair of us. I did tell my friends as thought it was only fair that they check to make sure they didn't have them.

BertieDrapper Sat 14-Sep-19 09:50:57

My DD 3 has been itching her head for a few days, I checked and couldn't see anything.... but wasn't really sure what I was looking for.
So I googled it.... and yep she has Nits.... confused sending DH down the pharmacy for some nit shampoo.. Happy Saturday!!

ItWentInMyEye Sat 14-Sep-19 09:54:40

Don't treat DD unless you find lice or eggs in her hair

Knittedfairies Sat 14-Sep-19 09:58:41

My daughter freaked out big time when she caught nits. I spent hours telling her it was nothing to be ashamed of etc etc. Then I realised I had them too... I did my freaking out (even bigger time) in private though. Your hairdresser would have noticed the nits if you'd had them then; I'd put it down to randomly itchy scalp for ages, followed by a coincidental short bout of nits. You'll be fine tomorrow,

Knittedfairies Sat 14-Sep-19 09:59:04

P.s. I'm scratching now.

DobbyLovesSocks Sat 14-Sep-19 10:00:23

Poor you OP. I had headlice pretty much constantly in my last two years of Senior school. My mum got to the end of her tether trying product after product (Prioderm is vile) and nightly wetcombing to get rid of the buggers. I got them again when my DS started school but I didn't realise for a week or so as he has itchy/flaky scalp anyway and didn't connect the extra scratching until i bathed him and noticed something moving - gah!!
Cue a dash to late night pharmacy to treat us all.

I think nits are a right of passage and everyone gets them. If your hairdresser didn't notice then I doubt you had them then as they would have seen them.

Make sure to wash all bedding/towels on a hot wash, change your hairbrush and wet comb a few more times over the next week to catch any eggs and you'll be fine.

ThirstyGhost Sat 14-Sep-19 10:05:46

Yes you are massively overreacting, but it's like anything - if you're not used to it I guess it's a shock when you first get them. It's not remotely shameful though - I find that reaction, which I've only ever seen on MN, really weird. How is it any different to being bitten by a mosquito? It's not your fault. You can have nits without itching by the way. Not everyone itches so they're easy to miss.

Comb through once a week with a Nitty Gritty comb and conditioner to check and also that way they would never get out of control even if you do get them again.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 14-Sep-19 10:15:37

Throughout her (normal, wide social range) primary school, DD never got nits.
Now in what I consider an up-and-coming junior school she’s had them about 6 times in 2 years! Ballet schools are supposedly a hotbed of lice. Also synchronized swimming with all that gunk they put in their hair.
I’ve caught them from her twice (she’s a hugger) and now I clean out and scrutinize the hair from our brushes EVERY SINGLE DAY. As well as checking once a week with a nit comb when we do an intensive hair mask.
It’s not nice. Nobody wants to be infested with parasites and it’s very easy to look for someone to blame among her friends. I just privately inform the head of our parents’ WhatsApp group and they put out a call to check.

Do the treatment. Put all bedding, especially pillows, for 24hrs in the freezer. Wash all hats and hooded coats. Disinfect brushes and start again...

81Byerley Sat 14-Sep-19 10:17:07

Head lice and nits - Illnesses & conditions | NHS inform
www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/skin-hair-and-nails/head-lice-and-nits

How you get head lice. Head lice are spread by direct head to head contact. They climb from one person's hair to another's. Head lice: can't fly, jump or swim; are very unlikely to be spread by objects such as hats, combs and pillows; don't have a preference for dirty, clean, short or long hair; only affect people and can't be caught from animals

Buginmyrug Sat 14-Sep-19 10:20:09

Op I’m interested to hear the other stuff you pulled out!

Lots of lice. Some tiny and almost see through, some massive and dark, apparently due to having gorged on my blood. Many eggs, some with what visibly appeared to be tiny lice inside about to burst through. And lots and lots and lots of tiny black dots which, according to the paediatrician on the NHS website, are their droppings.

I'm trying to stay calm and retain perspective, but a part of me wants to go and shave my hair right now. I won't.

I'm sending DH to the shops shortly to get me a Nitty Gritty. I will use it on DH too without the chemical treatment, just conditioner, to check up on her. As some people have said, it'll be amazing if she hasn't got any.

Again, super grateful for all the advice and similar stories.

LimitIsUp Sat 14-Sep-19 10:21:03

I am a little surprised by how the hairdressers reacted up thread. I was discussing this with my hairdresser - he told me about a client who now comes to him because her teenage daughter was humiliated at a hairdressing salon because she hadn't been aware she had nits, and she was made to feel a pariah in front of other clients when her hairdresser announced the presence of nits to her (and everyone else at the salon!)

He said if he discovered nits he would get the client to come over to a quiet part of the salon on some pretext and then tell them calmly and without judgement out of earshot of others. He would even carry on styling their hair (obviously would take appropriate precautions with the combs, scissors he used etc) rather than have them abruptly leave the salon with damp hair etc, clearly unfinished (and thus immediately apparent to other customers what was going on)

Anyways - back to the thread. Op I have had nits as an adult (picked up from the children when they were at primary school). After the initial 'ick' response you do start to realise that its no big deal and you can effectively eradicate them without too much trouble

Another poster said she felt she may have picked them up on public transport - not easily done but it is feasible, if you happen to rest your head on a head rest of the seat which minutes earlier had been used by someone with nits.

NotTerfNorCis Sat 14-Sep-19 10:22:28

I have long hair, and I had lice regularly when the kids were small. I remember lying awake on the night before a holiday, feeling a stinging sensation in my scalp and thinking, 'they're back again'. A metal comb and chemicals from Boots sorted it out. No problems for well over a decade now - I'd almost forgotten it!

LimitIsUp Sat 14-Sep-19 10:26:08

Call your husband on the way to the shops and tell him to pick up Hedrin - it doesn't contain insecticides and other nasties. It works by coating the lice so they physically can't move or eat or excrete water. Its more effective then simply using conditioner and lice combing

Drum2018 Sat 14-Sep-19 10:30:28

She came out and her head was CRAWLING. Five of the fuckers. Just crawling

Five lice is nothing - if that's all she had she was hardly crawling with them grin. The most I've counted was 24 from Ds head - it was our first encounter and even dd who was about 4 sat and counted them as I wiped the comb on kitchen roll. Great way to occupy the kids for an hour grin I've had them but caught them early. However some of the empty eggs were still on my hair a couple of months later as they were further from my scalp when Dh spotted them. Pharmacist said to rinse with vodka as that would unstick the gluey stuff that attached them to the hair. Luckily I'd given up drink so I used the last of my vodka to do that.

@Buginmyrug make sure someone else goes through your hair. You really need to have someone section off your hair and literally pick the eggs out with their fingernails. The combs, even nitty gritty, won't catch them all. Do this for the next week at least, to ensure that there aren't any left to hatch. Hopefully your Dh will be co-operative.

ReanimatedSGB Sat 14-Sep-19 10:36:26

I got them loooong before having DS, when all my friends were also childfree and I was equally appalled, OP, so I sympathise (I am still not sure how I managed to get them - either standing too close to someone else's nitty kid while bending over a stall at the market, or from going on too many demos with crusties...)

I'm kind of hardened to haveing them now as DS was a nitmonster for about three years...

LimitIsUp Sat 14-Sep-19 10:37:17

I agree - the combs won't catch them all, which is why it is helpful to use hedrin (I don't have a commercial interest in hedrin - just found it very effective)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »