Talk

Advanced search

Please can I get some advice from people who know about iPhones? I’m in bits.

(89 Posts)
iphonemisery Thu 12-Sep-19 14:13:11

I’m sorry I know this isn’t really the right place to be posting this, but I need some advice. I think my battery is completely dead on my iPhone and this means I’ve now lost a lot of photos and videos of my children. I’ve tried plugging it in for a long time, tried the hard reset thing, and nothing is happening. Just a black screen!

I did have them backed up on GooglePhotos - or so I thought. They’re not showing on my google account at all sad

What can I do now? Can I replace the battery and still keep my data? I’m actually unable to focus on anything right now and my anxiety is through the roof because I’m so devastated about potentially losing everything.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? And did you have a happy ending with your phone?

totallynotsosure Thu 12-Sep-19 14:15:11

Could it be just the screen that has gone? I'd take it along to an apple shop they should be able to advise you.

Spingtrolls Thu 12-Sep-19 14:16:12

Log into Icloud. They should be there. Same with if you replace the battery/phone everything should transfer over.
Also, have a look on Apple they know of battery issues for certain models and are replacing the batteries for free.

Itsabeautifuldaytosavelives Thu 12-Sep-19 14:16:34

Will they be backed up on iCloud? Can you try logging into your iCloud account and see if they’re there?

Everything on my iPhone backs up there and the last time I got a new phone, all I had to do was login with my Apple ID when I set the phone up and it was all there.

WoollyFoolly Thu 12-Sep-19 14:18:40

Ok this has happened to us. It sounds weird but try heating it up with a hairdryer on the back of the phone, then plug it in to charge up. Heating it up gives the battery just enough juice to allow it to start charging up.

iphonemisery Thu 12-Sep-19 14:19:06

I never used iCloud I ended up switching it off because I found it too confusing sad

birdsbehindclouds Thu 12-Sep-19 14:20:59

Have you tried putting it in recovery mode on iTunes?

bestbefore Thu 12-Sep-19 14:22:22

Take it to an Apple shop, they are angels and will help. You won't need to pay

nononever Thu 12-Sep-19 14:22:29

Your best bet is going to an Apple store given you didn't back up on iCloud. Good luck.

ShirleyPhallus Thu 12-Sep-19 14:23:17

This happened to me, a few times

For me, leaving it overnight so it properly properly went dead (rather than the screen just being blank and making you think it was dead) and then charging it worked

Everything should be backed up on iCloud so you shouldnt have lost anything

iphonemisery Thu 12-Sep-19 14:26:19

Have you tried putting it in recovery mode on iTunes?

I don’t have a laptop or computer. All odds are stacked against me here!

Spingtrolls Thu 12-Sep-19 14:26:46

Ah turning icloud off will mean that you can get everything back from before then.
You really need to go in-store and see if anything will be salvageable.

Spingtrolls Thu 12-Sep-19 14:27:24

Odds are not stacked up. They can do it in-store.

iphonemisery Thu 12-Sep-19 14:31:32

I can’t focus on anything right now apart from my phone 😩 My photos are so precious to me. I just want tomorrow to arrive now so I can hopefully get it sorted.

onyourway Thu 12-Sep-19 14:31:41

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iphone/how-put-iphone-into-recovery-mode-3663242/%3Famp

PenelopeFlintstone Thu 12-Sep-19 14:32:02

I didn't think you lost everything if your battery died? Do you? Why? They're not digitally stored on your battery.

WoollyFoolly Thu 12-Sep-19 14:34:00

Heat it up with a hairdryer then charge it! Honestly this brought back a phone which had been dead in a drawer for months

Idontwanttotalk Thu 12-Sep-19 14:35:07

Take it to a shop - a reputable one will be able to recover your stuff. You could download software to recover it ('PhoneRescue or Dr Fone) but you will need to have a laptop to be able to plug your iPhone into. Can't you use a family member or friend's PC?

Don't fret. It will be okay.

Fatbutt Thu 12-Sep-19 14:35:29

Have you tried charging it, then giving it a call from another phone? If it rings/vibrates then its going to be the screen (you can break the LCD without damaging the outside glass)

Another vote to go and see Apple, but I'd recommend checking out iCloud when you get sorted, or plan to get a laptop and keep your images backed up

CloudRusting Thu 12-Sep-19 14:37:48

It will be ok OP, try and relax.

Given you don’t have a computer just go to an actual apple store. They will help you and unless you have physical damage to the memory it should be perfectly retrievable

And then turn iCloud on for future this is exactly what it is for!

TerribleCustomerCervix Thu 12-Sep-19 14:42:53

Check what Apple say in store, but even if they’re negative it’s still worth checking with an independent place.

My old iPhone’s battery was zapped and the Apple store refused to change it because some of the water damage indicators had been lit up. I took it to a local phone repair place who were very eyerolly about Apple and replaced the battery anyway, and I got another 18 months out of the phone.

LauraPalmersBodybag Thu 12-Sep-19 14:43:27

Op, take the broadest advice on here and go to the Apple shop. They’re very helpful, I’m sure they can retrieved so try not to panic.

RavenLG Thu 12-Sep-19 14:46:21

Don't try any crazy internet advice like heating it up, it could make it worse and void the warranty. Take it to a store, it could be a myriad of issues.

And when you get it working / a new phone, learn to regularly back them up and check it's actually done so. I see endless Facebook posts like this and think you must be crazy not to do so if photos are so precious to you.

Madcats Thu 12-Sep-19 14:49:04

My phone gets grumpy about charging cables (so often isn't even attempting to charge from a cable it happily used the week before). It might be worth heading to Poundland to buy a new one?

I hope you get things sorted OP

loutypips Thu 12-Sep-19 14:56:33

Take it into an apple store. They will be able to sort it out for you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »