Talk

Advanced search

To find this infuriating.

(205 Posts)
Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 03:31:43

New family just moved in to a rented house technically down the side of our house. They have 4 cars, one parking space. The street has space for 5 cars in total, so they deem this a suitable place to park - right across our drive.

Having asked them to move it, I got told they have nowhere to park and he doesn’t want his daughter walking too far to get to her car. Aibu to think we shouldn’t be inconvenienced because these people didn’t think ahead when deciding to rent this house, and what the hell can you do in these circumstances?

Ozziewozzie Thu 12-Sep-19 03:33:55

If they are renting, could you report it to the landlord. Also the council. They can’t block you in.

Ozziewozzie Thu 12-Sep-19 03:35:05

And if that doesn’t work, park your car at the bottom of your drive, on the road, so they cant block you again.

Monty27 Thu 12-Sep-19 03:36:13

You might need to apply for a controlled parking zone which sadly the council will charge you for. Or you could lower the pavement if you have a drive in which case they would be parking illegally.
They sound like selfish twunts tbh.
You could also try the reasonable route and talk to them. Good luck with that brew

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 03:49:15

I don’t know the landlord but I know the estate agent who manages the house so I may give that a go.

I’ve tried the council before, it’s been a problem since we bought the house, although before it’s only been slightly overlapping our drive and they couldn’t even be bothered to respond.

We live on a weird, relatively new build estate where the majority of houses are town houses, this is at the end of a cul de sac and the road ends just before our drive so this whole area is dropped curb with no footpath, presumably because wherever you park in this area, you’ll be affecting someone’s access to their drive. But, I guess that’s easier than having to walk a bit further.

RebootYourEngine Thu 12-Sep-19 03:49:33

Every single time you want to go anywhere knock and ask them to move. Make sure that some of those times are late at night and early morning. Even if it is just a trip around the block. They will soon get fed up of it.

NoSauce Thu 12-Sep-19 03:53:11

What happens when you want to go out? Do you have to keep going round to ask them to move it? That would annoy me.

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 04:00:05

@nosauce apparently so. Or cut across our neighbours drive apparently.

Monty27 Thu 12-Sep-19 04:00:38

Put your wheelie bins there? Which would be a pita for you to have to keep moving them.
Get a copy of the clauses outlining the parking in the close and put a copy through their letter box.
Rapping on their door each time and/or approaching the landlord and complaining is a sound approach.
It would drive me nuts angry

snitzelvoncrumb Thu 12-Sep-19 04:01:26

I agree keep annoying them, I would be asking them to move the the middle of the night. Could you try to get around their car? Perhaps once it has a few scratches she will stop parking there.

NoSauce Thu 12-Sep-19 04:04:02

That’s just ridiculous OP. Could you park there instead?

Derbee Thu 12-Sep-19 04:09:42

It looks like you’ve got space to get in and out of your drive. I don’t see the problem tbh. I live and let live as much as possible

madroid Thu 12-Sep-19 04:13:58

You can ring the police. It's an offence to park across someone's drive.

It could be dangerous. You could need to get out fast to a and e for example.

But their problem of too many cars in the household is not yours to solve. They are taking the Mick.

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 04:14:44

@derbee maybe, if our car was a shape shifter, that is.

@NoSauce it might be our only option, the only reason we don’t at the minute is because husband is worried his car will get scratched or damaged, there are young kids that play football on the street so he prefers to keep it safe on our drive.

Derbee Thu 12-Sep-19 04:15:57

@Burtie what’s to the left of your car then? It looks like there is space to get out?

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 04:19:25

@derbee our neighbours drive but, funnily enough, they like to park their car there sometimes so we can’t really use their drive as access to our own.

Durgasarrow Thu 12-Sep-19 04:19:45

What would happen if you called the police?

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 04:22:50

@durgasarrow I’m not really sure, would they respond to issues like this?

Derbee Thu 12-Sep-19 04:23:59

I’m clearly missing something. I assumed the dark car was yours, on your drive, and the white was your neighbours. It looks from the photo (to me at least) that you could aim the dark car to the left and drive off the drive, past the white car. But I must be missing something!

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 04:39:06

@Derbee we have an adjoining drive with our neighbour, to the left of our car is our neighbours car. We can aim for that gap as long as they’re not parked there. I wouldn’t really think it fair to ask them to leave their drive empty so someone else can block ours though.

MarieG10 Thu 12-Sep-19 04:39:32

It might be the angle of the picture but it looks like your car is blocking the path as well? If so you are both committing the offence of unnecessary obstruction of the highway. Can be dealt with by police as warning, fixed penalty or court in the extreme as long as the kerb is dropped

Derbee Thu 12-Sep-19 04:52:13

Ah, sorry, I thought the driveway to the left was theirs. I think I’d park all the way at the front of your drive, so that they can’t block you in. Presumably if it’s all dropped kerbs everywhere, parking is a bit of a free for all anyway.

IncrediblySadToo Thu 12-Sep-19 05:27:33

WTAF?!

Go back around and tell them to stop parking there or you will call the police/council/agent

That’s ridiculous. If his daughter is old enough to drive, she’s old enough to park legally and walk a few meters more

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 05:32:07

Hopefully the diagram helps, don’t really want to photograph our neighbours house and drive.

It’s a weird set up, but there’s no footpath for us to block @MarieG10. The footpath runs across access to the houses on the cul de sac so nobody really regards it as a footpath, but that’s another issue for another day.

We probably could squeeze off if the neighbours weren’t in but it’s somewhat impossible when they are, without driving into someone that is. But he doesn’t want his daughter walking too far so this is apparently acceptable.

We are trying to extend the drive across the garden (green squiggle) to stop this happening but the quotes are extortionate and I’m on maternity leave so it’s a no go at the minute.

Burtiebojangles Thu 12-Sep-19 05:32:59

Sorry, diagram didn’t post.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »