Talk

Advanced search

Was this nursery worker abusive ? Should I report them ?

(23 Posts)
Lardlizard Thu 12-Sep-19 00:12:04

If so who too

Anyway overheard something as I was waiting outside a nursery school local to me

A nursery worker banging loudly on a saucepan with possibly a spoon whilst singing a song in a very nasty aggressive manner
Then she said to the child did you enjoy that ?
The child must have said no in a quiet voice

Then she said in a shouty voice
no, I don’t think you would
Shut you up though didn’t it

Goodlookingcreature Thu 12-Sep-19 00:13:25

I would, that’s horrible the poor child

Lardlizard Thu 12-Sep-19 00:14:05

I should have filmed it on my phone as evidence

cherryblossomgin Thu 12-Sep-19 00:14:44

Maybe the child was doing it before. I would still say something to the nursery. Sounds a bit off.

MsVestibule Thu 12-Sep-19 00:15:09

How awful. If it's a school nursery, report it to the headteacher, if it's a private nursery, to the manager.

PlinkPlink Thu 12-Sep-19 00:54:17

Report to Nursery manager, if they have one?

That doesn't sound very nice, warm or welcoming.

Ididit2019 Thu 12-Sep-19 00:55:56

That sounds awful, I would definitely flag it.

TinyGhostWriter Thu 12-Sep-19 06:54:40

Absolutely speak to the manager/head about this.

That’s awful, regardless of what the context may be!

Igetknockeddownbutgetupagain Thu 12-Sep-19 07:11:19

It’s harsh...but I don’t understand how it’s abusive. Do you know what came before or after that scenario? And you were outside, so you didn’t see as well, just overheard?

I’d think carefully before complaining about that particular one, especially if other than that your child seems happy and well cared for.

lilypips Thu 12-Sep-19 07:18:54

I should have filmed it on my phone as evidence

From outside the building confused

TheBananaStand2 Thu 12-Sep-19 07:20:36

It’s bullying and an unpleasant, demoralising way to speak to a small child and could do long term damage if it’s repeated behaviour. That person shouldn’t be working with children if they have no basic respect for them as fellow people. My concern about reporting to the nursery would be that you might be reporting to the person who was being bullying in the first place. I would tell them it was unacceptable. If my child went to that nursery I’d also seriously consider moving them and telling the nursery why.

Pikapikachooo Thu 12-Sep-19 07:22:26

Nasty
Report her but do it in a very professional
Way as that
Always gets better results, so frame as constructive critique

Lardlizard Thu 12-Sep-19 08:38:37

I don’t have any children at the nursery
I heard this all from the path outside
Where I was standing waiting
The path is next to the garden

Lardlizard Thu 12-Sep-19 12:49:28

Reason I say I should have recorded it, is because it would have recorded the sound and where I was etc

sendinallthesheep Thu 12-Sep-19 13:09:20

Yes please report it, that is a horrible way to behave towards a child. That sort of thing will not be a one off. I would also consider contacting child services.

To a PP who suggested it wasn't abusive, children in a nursery will be 4 and under. I cannot imagine what you think they might have done to prompt or deserve being "shut up" in an aggressive manner? There is no reason to shout at anyone, especially small people who can't defend or protect themselves.

Didyoujustbreak Thu 12-Sep-19 13:16:52

When my son was 10 months he climbed in a chair and fell off just as I was entering the nursery.
His key worker said to him "that'll teach ya."

Cunt.

I reported her.

pooopypants Thu 12-Sep-19 13:39:55

She sounds like a charm. I'd report.

dollydaydream114 Thu 12-Sep-19 13:50:53

Even if the child had been misbehaving, it's hard to see how that could be a reasonable way of disciplining a nursery-age child.

'Abusive' might be a bit strong but I would certainly feel uncomfortable about anyone shouting or speaking aggressively to a baby or toddler in their care, or talking about 'shutting them up'. It's harsh and unnecessary. Fine to be firm, but it sounds like what you heard went way beyond that.

NoTheresa Thu 12-Sep-19 13:52:38

That is unacceptable and would be regarded as such. Report it.

Sunshine93 Thu 12-Sep-19 13:53:17

16Didyoujustbreak Why do people like that work with children? Did she get sacked? Did you change nursery?

Sunshine93 Thu 12-Sep-19 13:53:37

Op I would also report to whoever is in charge

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 12-Sep-19 14:00:07

Singing a song in an aggressive manner.
I maybe a tad dramatic but The child must find the song scary and traumatising, as She’s obviously using in as a form of punishment. Well that’s what I’m getting from your post.
There is no question or debate to be had. You have to report her.

That’s shocking @Didyoujustbreak.
I bet you went sick. Horrible bitch

LolaSmiles Thu 12-Sep-19 14:03:15

From your limited observations it sounds unprofessional and out of order. It's worth raising in a calm and factual manner with the nursery.

Labelling it abuse is way over the top.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »