Talk

Advanced search

If govt can repeal law on foreign students, can they repeal rules about child benefit?

(6 Posts)
EmeraldIsle81 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:27:16

I saw a thread on here a few days ago asking for opinions on child benefits. All responses were that the CB rules are unfair given earnings rules and difficult to adhere to via self assessment process.

I see today the government has reversed decisions/rules made about foreign students so I wonder if the same reversal can be made regarding Child Benefit rules?

Does anyone know if that is possible? Is it something we could raise with our MPs/campaign for?

Thanks Mumsnet!

Verily1 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:30:44

Of course the government can change rules that’s the whole point of government!

FinallyHere Wed 11-Sep-19 23:35:39

Of course, they have to want to...

MsVestibule Wed 11-Sep-19 23:44:00

They can pretty much repeal/amend any law they want to! Whether they want to or not is a different matter.

If you're referring to the 'earning £50k(ish) = no Child Benefit' issue, I think that was introduced by the then chancellor, rather than it being enshrined in law? Happy to be corrected.

EmeraldIsle81 Thu 12-Sep-19 00:12:47

Yes that's it,the 50k rule and you have to complete s self assessment to get it etc. did any one else see that thread last week asking Mumsnet for their experiences of child benefit? I was looking for it again but can't find it using the search function.

BogglesGoggles Thu 12-Sep-19 00:20:21

No Parliament can bind a future parliament. So yeah. They can repeal of enact a contradictory law which has the effect of repeal.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »