Talk

Advanced search

WIBU- washing dishes under running hot tap

(152 Posts)
Naughty1205 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:15:41

Just a heated discussion between dh and I now. Who fills their sink with hot water to wash the dishes and/or who washes each item under the running hot tap? I've been told that no one does it my way and he's gone off in a huff. Just curious!

ooopsupsideyourhead Wed 11-Sep-19 20:16:39

Fill with hot water. The other option is so incredibly wasteful!

Templetonstunafish Wed 11-Sep-19 20:17:07

First way, I have a middle half-sink to rinse in though. Running hot tap sounds very wasteful and I bet it was your DH.

Alwayscheerful Wed 11-Sep-19 20:17:51

I tend to use the dishwasher because when I hand wash dishes everything has its own squirt of washing up liquid and everything is rinsed under the hot tap 😩

Onceuponacheesecake Wed 11-Sep-19 20:18:15

I wash dishes with running tap. I'm super quick so not worried about wasted water and not a chance in hell am I going to wash my dishes in a sink/ tub with soggy food crumbs etc floating around in it 🤮

Thehop Wed 11-Sep-19 20:19:22

Wash under a hot tap by choice but trying to save water

amylou8 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:20:38

Running hot tap

Naughty1205 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:21:47

Yes I do the fill the sink method but also rinse them as we have a double sink, fill that too and dip. I start with the cleanest things and obviously replace the water if it gets that bad! We do have a dishwasher but some kids stuff, pots etc don't go into it. Nice pile left for me in the kitchen now, just because I told him he was wasting water.

ZenNudist Wed 11-Sep-19 20:22:25

It would be really wasteful and kind of gross to just run the hot tap. Unless you smear your plate in washing liquid first. Then its even more wasteful.

RogueV Wed 11-Sep-19 20:22:42

Running tap (never understood washeing dishes in dirty water confused)

But most go in the dishwasher here

KipperTheFrog Wed 11-Sep-19 20:22:43

Bowl of hot water. Running hot tap is so wasteful.

PickAChew Wed 11-Sep-19 20:22:43

Dishes in bowl of hot soapy water. Give a few moments to soak so they are easier to clean. Wash, then rinse. Most stuff goes in the dishwasher, anyhow but our water bills are high enough without just letting water run straight down the drain.

EmmiJay Wed 11-Sep-19 20:24:30

I run the hot tap. Between the fairy platinum and boiling hot water I can get through a full sink in 5 minutes.

Nextphonewontbesamsung Wed 11-Sep-19 20:24:53

I don't use a washing up bowl. I fill the sink with only an inch or two of very hot water and washing up liquid, wash a sink full of cleaner things, then rinse them under the running hot tap and put on the drainer. So by now the sink is half full. Wash the next sink full. Rinse under running tap and repeat. By the end, when you want to wash saucepans and oven trays, the sink is full of water. Rinse those last things over the half sink bit. I absolutely wouldn't keep the hot tap running for a whole session of washing up but I do insist on rinsing everything.

museumum Wed 11-Sep-19 20:24:56

Things like this I think couples should let each other do it their own way. There is no right answer and no need to conform to the other persons choice.

Imustbemad00 Wed 11-Sep-19 20:25:09

Running tap. I can’t bear the idea of dirty water, putting my hands in it or how the plates can be clean.
I have a sponge attached to a handle you fill with liquid, or just put it on a normal sponge, rinse, scrub and rinse again. I probably don’t use anymore water than I’d use to fill a sink.

covetingthepreciousthings Wed 11-Sep-19 20:25:38

Fill sink with hot soapy water here and wash. Some items will get rinsed first before this, then cleanest items first get washed etc etc.
We don't have a dishwasher.

Though I do admit at work when it's 1-2 cups or 1 plate , I will do it by running the hot tap as I feel filling the sink for that small amount would be more wasteful.

NavyBlueHue Wed 11-Sep-19 20:26:27

Running tap done quickly with lots of washing up liquid.

Find it quite gross to wash dishes in a tub of water that is instantly dirty from the first dish washed.

Quaffy Wed 11-Sep-19 20:28:11

If I’m doing a few things I’ll run a bowl to save water but if I’m just doing one or two things I run the tap

theconstantinoplegardener Wed 11-Sep-19 20:35:36

I wash up in a bowl of hot soapy water, but rinse in fresh water. I do cups and glasses first, then cutlery, then crockery, then pans, then recycling, so the water doesn't really get dirty until the end. And I can change the water if necessary! Having items soak in hot water while something else is being washed means burnt-on food etc comes off easily.

Fluandseptember Wed 11-Sep-19 20:36:03

@Nextphonewontbesamsung - same here. Feels like the best of both worlds! I do all the cleaning/scrubbing in a small amount of (increasingly grubby) water, and then rinse everything carefully under a v thin stream of hot water that I then use for the next lot of scrubbing. I also try to use a large pan/mixing bowl as my washing up basin (so it gets washed by being washed up in - and is then itself washed last of all.

ooopsupsideyourhead Wed 11-Sep-19 20:45:16

30 litres in 5 minutes is quite a lot! More than people realise I think.

Shehz21 Wed 11-Sep-19 21:36:28

Running tap here. Just cannot bear the thought of washing dishes in dirty water.

However I wholly agree with @museumum.
Things like this,there is no need to conform to a to a specific way in between a couple. There is indeed no right or wrong.

DanielRicciardosSmile Wed 11-Sep-19 21:41:16

I fill a washing up bowl. It fills in less than a minute, even allowing for running off the cold water first, I'd definitely use more than that washing each item under a running tap.

DramaAlpaca Wed 11-Sep-19 21:44:30

Running tap if it's just a couple of items. If there's more I fill the washing up bowl with hot, soapy water to wash, then rinse over the half sink with running cold water. Mostly I use the dishwasher.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »