Talk

Advanced search

To visit the GP with such a minor thing?

(17 Posts)
TakeABreakAt12 Wed 11-Sep-19 18:49:42

It's my forearm. It's been painful for just over 2 days now. It seems to have gotten ever so slightly worse although not always noticeable.

Seems slightly worse when I increase my heart rate slightly, probably due to slight increase of pressure onto it.

I was driving along today and paused at a ref light. Suddenly it accrued to me that it was actually very apparent and really quite sore!

It's a strange pain. It's like an aching one. Feels worse if I flex my wrist backwards although the pain isn't at the wrist.

I've included a pic of where the pain is - You can tell where it starts because it's where the slight swelling increases. It's painful to press down on that area. The other side of the arm doesn't hurt at all!

Any ideas? Is this just a strain and am I foolish for wasting a GP's time? blush I know I shouldn't ask for medical advice online but I'm wondering if I should embarrass myself seeking medical help at all!

Teagoanngoanngoann Wed 11-Sep-19 19:05:40

Sorry. Cant see any swelling. Looks like a perfectly healthy arm to me. I would leave it a while before seeing someone. If you think its swollen have you tried taking ibuprofen? You could always ask your local chemist for their opinion. Hope you feel better soon x

Likethebattle Wed 11-Sep-19 20:50:22

Is it your ‘phone hand’ I have a similar pain from using my phone. I got a grip thing for the back of my phone which helps.

RosaLuxembourg45 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:22:50

Have you tried taking regular ibruprofen?

You would be very unreasonable to contact the GP after only two days of light pain. It’s akin to going to the GP because you’ve had a cold for a couple of days.

If it’s still hurting in 2-3 weeks, even when you’re taking regular painkillers, then you should contact the GP.

RosaLuxembourg45 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:24:23

(All a GP would say anyway is ‘wait and see’ at this stage. They’re not going to recommend any intervention or prescription painkillers based on 2 days of lower arm pain...)

WarshipWarrior Wed 11-Sep-19 23:24:37

Tendonitis?

RosaLuxembourg45 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:24:43

Oh, and I also can’t see any swelling at all in that photo.

LizzieSiddal Wed 11-Sep-19 23:29:13

I agree with others, it’s probably just a strain, please don’t bother your Dr about this.

If I were you I’d go to the chemist and get an elasticated bandage for your arm, it will support it while it heals.

Sunshine93 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:33:53

a routine appointment at my GPs would be about 4 weeks away so I would be inclined to maybe give it a day or 2 and then make an appointment. You can always cancel but if it is still a problem in 4 weeks then you will want it seen to. probably a muscle strain,

JoanieCash Wed 11-Sep-19 23:35:28

As per PP, try some ibuprofen regularly first

FairyDust92 Wed 11-Sep-19 23:48:24

It's not a waste of gp time and no one can see what's going on from that picture and no one here seems to be a doctor. Go to the doctors and get checked out especially if you're having discomfort. Good luck!

Rosere Thu 12-Sep-19 00:07:49

Is the pain on the side of your wrist with your thumb? Might be a tendonitis but obviously cannot diagnose you over a picture. The swelling may or may not feel a little crunchy. You can buy wrist splints but I think see your GP and they can refer you for physio if they think it's tendonitis or for an xray it they're suspicious of a fracture.
Its not a waste of time, see your GP. It's obviously sore 👍

BogglesGoggles Thu 12-Sep-19 00:14:47

You have an unexplained pain. Of course you should go to the doctor. Only in Britain would you get people telling you not to bother your doctor unless it’s falling off.

Walnutwhipster Thu 12-Sep-19 00:19:52

What about seeing a pharmacist first?

MrsPellegrinoPetrichor Thu 12-Sep-19 00:22:13

I can't see any swelling but I'd take nurofen and rest/ice it and give it a week before I'd make an appt.

Graphista Thu 12-Sep-19 00:37:02

I'm also thinking probably rsi/carpal tunnel

Perfectly possible to self treat with a tubigrip, painkillers and rest.

Only need to see a nurse (really not worthy of a dr in early stages) if no improvement within about a week or it gets worse.

Chloemol Thu 12-Sep-19 00:53:59

CAll in at a pharmacy and see what they say, then make a GP appointment if you need to

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »