Advanced search

To go to A & E for this

(160 Posts)
Kiwidenter Wed 11-Sep-19 14:32:00

So I posted on the 28th of August to see DP could be having an allergic reaction or a bug. We thought it was a bug but I don't think it was as me or DS didn't get it. On Friday last week DP started vomiting again and feeling really sick same on sat.

I don't think this was a bug either as me or son haven't got it.

Partner still doesn't feel good and he can't eat because if he eats he vomits even if it's toast. He can still drink though.

He can't go to college either. This morning he called GP and was on a wait for a call back and they said they don't have any appointments until the end of the month.

Would he bu to go to A & E. Does any of you know what it could be? Or experienced this?

ElizaPancakes Wed 11-Sep-19 14:35:24

Well, I wouldn’t unless it was a child. It has been a long time but it’s not an emergency. Also you’re waiting for the doc to call back so wait to hear from them first.

Has he lost loads of weight then? Or is there maybe a little bit of exaggeration regarding ‘vomits every time he eats’?

riotlady Wed 11-Sep-19 14:35:26

If he’s keeping water down and not getting dehydrated then I don’t think a and e is necessary. Do you have a walk in centre? Or call 111 and see if they can get you an emergency gp appointment?

Vilanelle Wed 11-Sep-19 14:49:32

As hes keeping water down, no. Insist on an emergency appt

Kiwidenter Wed 11-Sep-19 15:00:11

No he hasn't lost alot of weight because he only started vomiting when he ate on Friday or Saturday. But in August it was like a normal bug but I don't think it was as me or son never got it

But then he was fine for about a week and now he's vomiting again.

The GP phoned him back and said they had no appointments until the end of the month. And I think they only use the emergency appointments for children

Petrichor11 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:00:32

I wouldn’t go to A&E in this case for an adult who’s keeping water down but I would push for an emergency GP appointment (probably tomorrow now) to try and get to the bottom of it and check for an underlying cause

Tigerwhocamefortea Wed 11-Sep-19 15:01:54

@Kiwidenter that’s not true. If you need to see a GP for an emergency medical problem you do not have to wait weeks. Phone them at opening tomorrow and ask for a same day emergency appointment. They have to see you even if it means you sitting and waiting for a while.

73Sunglasslover Wed 11-Sep-19 15:03:31

I think this is better at the GP and I'd call back and tell them you can't wait till the end of the month.

HollowTalk Wed 11-Sep-19 15:13:06

No appointments until the end of the month! That's terrible.

Is there an out of hours place he could go to?

easyandy101 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:16:51

I wouldn't go to a&e if he's managing to stay hydrated. If there's a change in that I'd be more worried

It's perfectly possible for 1 person to get a stomach upset and everyone in the house be fine

Fink Wed 11-Sep-19 15:17:59

As pp have said, he doesn't need A&E, he needs an emergency GP appointment. Find out what the procedure is for booking this with your GP and get one for tomorrow. They are handled separately from pre-bookable appointments and no, they can't just keep them all for children.

In the meantime, get him down the pharmacy for some advice and possibly an anti-emetic or something else to soothe the symptoms.

BeyondMyWits Wed 11-Sep-19 15:19:50

See a pharmacist just to make sure all the boxes are ticked. The pharmacist will say if he needs to be seen by a doctor today, or "if they are no better within so much time having tried x,y, and z". That gives a legitimate way of getting an emergency appointment rather than asking for one that may not be justified.

You ring the doc and say you spoke to a pharmacist at <wherever> and THEY said you need to <whatever they said - see doc, speak to doc, see practise nurse, etc> as you have tried x,y, and z for so much time. This is the value of pharmacy first. Gives you a strong argument to see the doc IF it is needed.

lilypips Wed 11-Sep-19 15:20:54

Is it an accident or emergency?


Call your GP surgery and ask for the on call doctor to ring you (they will fit him in if they deem it necessary after talking to him) or ask for an emergency appointment (that is appointment kept for 'needs to be seen today' not medical emergency) A&E is not a magic gate to a GP

Absolute example of what A&E is not for.

RosaWaiting Wed 11-Sep-19 15:22:11

Are you sure they only see children as emergency cases? That’s batshit.

Have a look for nearest out of hours?

RosaWaiting Wed 11-Sep-19 15:24:08

Also call 111.

MyKingdomForBrie Wed 11-Sep-19 15:24:54

Go to the out of hours or just wait outside the GP surgery before opening time to be in early enough for an emergency apt. At my surgery you have to be queued up by 7am to get an apt even for a baby, luckily we have a very good walk in half an hour away.

KUGA Wed 11-Sep-19 15:26:59

Try a walk in centre.

Fink Wed 11-Sep-19 15:32:17

The NHS website states:

'An A&E department (also known as emergency department or casualty) deals with genuine life-threatening emergencies, such as:

loss of consciousness
acute confused state and fits that are not stopping
chest pain
breathing difficulties
severe bleeding that cannot be stopped
severe allergic reactions
severe burns or scalds
major trauma such as a road traffic accident'

My emphasis. This isn't a life-threatening emergency so he doesn't go to A & E. Pharmacist and/or 111 for now; emergency GP appointment as follow-up if necessary tomorrow. As I said above, there will be emergency appointments, they will not all be reserved for children, you just need to badger them to find out the procedure for getting one. If the GP (rather than receptionist) has spoken to him on the phone, they presumably don't think he needs an emergency appointment.

IsobelRae23 Wed 11-Sep-19 15:33:01

Emergency GP appointment. Unless there is any other health conditions you haven’t mentioned etc. So are you saying in 2 weeks he hasn’t kept 1 mouthful of food down?

Peanutbuttericecream Wed 11-Sep-19 15:35:58

I vomited periodically with gallstones. All fine now following cholecystectomy. I would insist on a GP appointment. Speak to the practice manager if you can’t get one.

Jellybeansincognito Wed 11-Sep-19 15:36:18

Its not an accident or emergency so no of course he shouldn’t go to a&e.

Do you have a local walk in clinic?

Kiwidenter Wed 11-Sep-19 15:40:19

He said to them he can't wait until the end of the month but they put him on the list for cancellations and they will call and and check if he still needs the appointment.

He won't be able to go to the walk in centre as it's 15 miles away and my car is in the garage and he doesn't drive. He'd have to get 3 buses but he said he wouldn't be able to because he gets travel sick and with this sickness it would make it worse (he doesn't take tablets as they don't work for him).

I mentioned A & E as it's in walking distance though.

StroppyWoman Wed 11-Sep-19 15:41:11

Definitely not A&E

Ring the second the surgery opens and say you need an urgent appointment today - phone appointment if necessary. They'll get someone to ring your DP back and assess him. They can't keep emergency appointments for children only, they are for those with need regardless of age.

Kiwidenter Wed 11-Sep-19 15:43:20

@IsobelRae23 at first it was like a usual bug and it last for about 3 days and after that he could keep food down and was fine and went to college etc. But then on Friday he started vomiting again and Saturday. But now he isn't vomiting unless he eats but still feels sick.

Todaythiscouldbe Wed 11-Sep-19 15:48:58

Out of hours appointment?
Definitely not a&e, he's keeping down fluid, that's one of the first things you'd be asked.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »