Advanced search

To be really annoyed with this teacher?

(299 Posts)
tomboytown Tue 10-Sep-19 16:29:40

Ds-first week of senior school.
Mon- supposed to have History homework
Mon- gets given a worksheet
Monday night- completes the worksheet

Tuesday-gets detention for completing the worksheet.

It’s his first week!
Punishing a child for actually doing more work than is necessary?!

ScreamingValenta Tue 10-Sep-19 16:33:11

I'm confused - was the worksheet not his homework? Had they been told they were to complete it at a later time?

dollydaydream114 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:34:21

I suspect there might be more to this than meets the eye. Did he misunderstand something?

Starlight456 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:36:03

I am also confused. What was dc day about detention . All sounds odd

tomboytown Tue 10-Sep-19 16:36:21

He couldn’t remember being told anything about the worksheet, so he hedged his bets and figured it was the homework, because they are supposed to have history homework
Yes, it turns out it was today’s lesson.

Cohle Tue 10-Sep-19 16:37:58

Detention for accidentally doing more work than necessary seems harsh. I'd be inclined to think there was a little bit more to it than than that though e.g. DS was messing around so missed clear instructions.

I'd encourage your DS to see it as a lesson in the importance of paying attention. If you really want to talk to the school about it I certainly go in open minded about exactly what's happened.

HoneysuckIejasmine Tue 10-Sep-19 16:38:23

That's absolutely batshit. As a teacher, I wouldn't give something out if I didn't want it doing, and I certainly wouldn't punish for it. Try to contact teacher/HoY to ask what's happened.

pinksquash13 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:38:25

Ahh really mean! Sounds like teacher is stamping her authority (in the wrong way imo). I'd advise child to apologise and say they were overwhelmed and anxious about starting school. Please can I be excused from detention.

tomboytown Tue 10-Sep-19 16:40:19

A couple of them did it as homework.

Todaythiscouldbe Tue 10-Sep-19 16:40:54

Did everyone else complete the sheet? Or did your son not listen properly? I know it seems harsh but, as a parent, I learnt that my son often doesn't hear what everyone else does.

ScreamingValenta Tue 10-Sep-19 16:41:10

Did he complete it to a good standard - correct answers or whatever else was required?

Bitchfeatures Tue 10-Sep-19 16:42:53

Absolutely ridiculous. Id be complaining.

lazylinguist Tue 10-Sep-19 16:43:11

That's bloody ridiculous! I mean yes, presumably the teacher would have said if it was homework, and in the future no doubt your ds will be careful to make sure he knows what is homework. But in the first weeks of secondary school a bit of leniency would be reasonable! Especially as he did too much work rather than not enough!

SachaStark Tue 10-Sep-19 16:43:24

What is the school system for recording homeworks? Do the students have a homework diary, or do they use Show My Homework?

tomboytown Tue 10-Sep-19 16:44:09

I just think it’s way too harsh
First history lesson, first homework
They’re just getting used to homework diaries and how things work
He came in from school and did it straight away, which is a miracle in itself!

TheSmallClangerWhistlesAgain Tue 10-Sep-19 16:44:17

Do you know any parents of other kids in the class who might be able to shed some light informally? It does sound excessive.

sweetiepie1979 Tue 10-Sep-19 16:44:51

Just phone or email and get the right story! Something seems a bit off!

BelleSausage Tue 10-Sep-19 16:45:51

Ask the question and find the answer. This does not sound like the whole story. Have you e-mailed the teacher?

tomboytown Tue 10-Sep-19 16:45:58

They have a diary- he’d written ‘history’ !!

MonChatEstMagnifique Tue 10-Sep-19 16:46:00

Have you spoken to the school? I suppose it's not impossible but I think there is more to this than your son is telling you or he has misunderstood something. I'd speak to the school.

Do the school have an online homework portal that parents have access to?

steppemum Tue 10-Sep-19 16:46:36

That is batshit.
detention for, very understandably, making a mistake in first week, where he does too much work!

Nuts.
Normally I stay out of secondary school interaction, but if this detention is going to go on record on be a pain 9eg he misses school bus) I think I would be droppign an email saying - I am confused, can you explain why.....

tomboytown Tue 10-Sep-19 16:47:22

But what other story could there be?

He said he saw the teacher being told off later and reckons it’s something to do with this. Haha!

BogglesGoggles Tue 10-Sep-19 16:47:48

Why is it a bad thing that he did the worksheet before the lesson? Is the teacher to lazy to find them something else todo? Or did he not do the actual homework?

GetUpAgain Tue 10-Sep-19 16:48:36

Normally I would say shrug it off. However DD got a similar wierd detention which I didn't get involved with, then later that term wasn't eligible for an opportunity because she had this mark against her. If I had realised the implications I'd have contacted the school at the time to 'clear her record' iyswim. So it might be better to contact the school and ask them wtf?

MrsMaiselsMuff Tue 10-Sep-19 16:49:55

He said he saw the teacher being told off later and reckons it’s something to do with this. Haha!

He's trying to cover his back. Teachers don't get "told off" in front of students.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »