Talk

Advanced search

AIBU . . . To use a similar name?

(91 Posts)
BabyCOnBoard Sun 08-Sep-19 19:23:36

Hi all,

I have a feeling I am being unreasonable but I just want to check . . .

My friend recently had a baby girl and I’m currently 39 weeks pregnant! I hadn’t decided my baby girl name to use but recently I love a particular name that happens to be very similar to hers (her DD is Lillian and I like the name Lilia) Do you think it would be unreasonable for me to use this name? she picked first and it’s not exactly a name I had my heart set on from the start so I worry it might ruffle some feathers!I don’t see her everyday as we don’t live too near each other but we are quite close. Can I get away with it as it’s slightly different or should I go back to the drawing board?

Fingers crossed I have a boy and I won’t have to worry! 😂 xx

Nonnymum Tue 17-Sep-19 08:59:06

I think it's fine. It's not the same name.ans names are not unique anyway. If you love it why don't you ask your friend what she thinks?

familycourtq Tue 17-Sep-19 09:05:16

Call your baby Dave - no-one else will be doing it and it won't annoy your friend.

How about Leela? (From Futurama). Good shout - how about Homer (from the Simpsons)

Mumofone1860 Tue 17-Sep-19 09:08:29

People may think it's a bit weird if you have friends in common or post on social media ect?

If I knew a friend with a child named Lillia and a few weeks before her child's first birthday she posted 'lovely time at Lillian's first birthday'. I'd honestly think she had copied the name and that it was a bit weird.

I know no one owns a name but there are so many names out there and you already said you aren't attached to the name and hadn't thought about it for long so it seems a bit like it's causing drama when there is no need?

OrchidInTheSun Tue 17-Sep-19 09:14:18

I wouldn't if you're good friends.

leliab Tue 17-Sep-19 11:42:50

I know I'm a bit late to the game but my name is (in my opinion but I'm quite biased) much better than Lilia and doesn't sound the same at all to Lilian.
Lelia is pronounced Leel-ya and has an amazing variety of roots depending on who you would like to ask. There a both people with Russian and Arabic ancestry with the name, but it used to be as popular as Celia and Delia in the 19th century among Anglophone communities in the United States and Australia as well.
Although Lilia is quite close to Lilian, I don't think your friend could be as annoyed about your choice if you were to go with Lelia simply because it sounds so different. If you were to choose Lilia or Lelia, or any other variant, it might be respectful to let her know but you have no obligation to name your child anything different because of someone else. At the end of the day, your friend should be mature enough to take the compliment as it is. smile

StillCoughingandLaughing Tue 17-Sep-19 13:24:56

Call your baby Dave - no-one else will be doing it

Especially if it’s a girl.

31RueCambon75001 Tue 17-Sep-19 13:27:10

She would be annoyed. There are lots of Lilys and Lillies out there now, so Lilian is refreshing but Lilia is a bit too close to Lilian if you're close friends.
WHat about Lydia? or Delia, or Camellia

31RueCambon75001 Tue 17-Sep-19 13:27:30

Or celia or Julia

YouBelongHere Tue 17-Sep-19 16:21:59

Maybe make it her middle name? My parents chose a name very close to my cousins so they made it my middle name instead.

autumntimebrowns Tue 17-Sep-19 18:25:22

But why is Lilian / Lilia any different than Tim / tom or Jane / June Julie / judy. Lisa/ Liza ? All pairs of similar sounding names.
I'm so happy to be in my fifty s and not having to worry about such nonsense.
Good luck with your baby.

Ringdonna Tue 17-Sep-19 18:31:57

No-one owns a name call her what the fuck you like.

Lanurk Tue 17-Sep-19 22:08:37

My twat of an ex wanted to call our dd Elizabeth Amy which I wasn’t keen on but then I discovered his niece’s name is Amy Elizabeth and said no. He was adamant til I told his dn who asked him not to and thankfully that was that.

Phimma Wed 18-Sep-19 07:47:28

@StillCoughingandLaughing

#sillyreason

#getoveryourself

Phimma Wed 18-Sep-19 07:47:50

@Ringdonna

Just that!

StillCoughingandLaughing Wed 18-Sep-19 09:04:59

😆😆😆

Damntheman Wed 18-Sep-19 11:23:36

I'd talk to your friend about it. She might be fine with it! She might not be.

I spoke to my cousin when my daughter was born as we liked her daughter's name (and had done for a long time). I was a bit worried about it being the same name but my cousin wasn't bothered at all! Our girls are a couple of years apart in age though.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »