Talk

Advanced search

Prince Harry - AIBU?

(1000 Posts)
barniee Tue 03-Sep-19 14:13:50

Prince Harry saying "we can all do better" has really irked me- aibu?! He has every want and need satisfied while the majority of us and trying to do right by the environment whilst making ends meet. He is becoming very sanctimonious!

MythicalBiologicalFennel Tue 03-Sep-19 14:15:18

Doesn't that mean that nobody's perfect and that we can all do our bit, however small?

Or did you just want to have a go at him?

NoSauce Tue 03-Sep-19 14:16:21

We can all do better though. He’s not wrong.

barniee Tue 03-Sep-19 14:17:39

Just reeks of "do as I say, not as I do"

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 03-Sep-19 14:24:34

I don't think you are being unreasonable its very easy to say things like that when you are living a very privilege lifestyle.

Its a little bit like when people say if you work hard you can achieve or do anything. Its unrealistic to think a young child from a chaotic household living in poverty for example can achieve or do anything just by working hard. They will have so many more obstacles to overcome that those born into privilege would even begin to understand.

AryaStarkWolf Tue 03-Sep-19 14:26:39

Should he just shut up then and not say anything on the subject? Should someone who owns their own house and has a good job not give their opinions on stuff because they have more than a person who's renting and has a low paid job?

malificent7 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:27:01

It is somewhat annoying but good that he is highlighting an issue. On the other hand im concerned his attitude willl spark a backlash. The private jet thing was annoying too.

sue51 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:27:08

Of course we can all do better but he's not exactly leading by example.

malificent7 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:28:02

Horrid attitude towatds renters there Arya.

IsobelRae23 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:28:24

We can all do better. I don’t see your point sorry.

BongosMingo Tue 03-Sep-19 14:28:51

We CAN all do better!

But accidentally taking a private jet 4 times in 11 days looks like carelessness. Poor Hazza’s not terribly bright, is he?

Pitterpatterpettysteps Tue 03-Sep-19 14:31:26

Given his private jets and extravagant lifestyle, he seems the worst possible person to encourage others to 'do their bit'.

I'm embarrassed for him and his wife -- they are totally oblivious to how badly they come across.

Itsnotmesothere Tue 03-Sep-19 14:34:49

Arya That's one massive generalisation. OP YANBU. Harry and his wife come across as sanctimonious hypocrites.

AryaStarkWolf Tue 03-Sep-19 14:37:02

Horrid attitude towatds renters there Arya.

Horrid in what way?

TheFairyCaravan Tue 03-Sep-19 14:38:05

We can all do better, he's not wrong.

HeadsDownThumbsUpEveryone Tue 03-Sep-19 14:40:24

Should he just shut up then and not say anything on the subject?

I don't think he is really in a place to comment. Most families listening to his speech will at most have a 1 or 2 week break somewhere abroad each year (if they are lucky). Even then these people know they can do better, and many are doing just that by opting instead to stay in the UK for those 1 or 2 weeks.

We don't need to be told by someone who travels by private jet to make changes when most of us are already doing our bit way more than he is.

BogglesGoggles Tue 03-Sep-19 14:41:04

@AryaStarkWolf presumably because you are implying that renters are less successful than home owners. Obviously that’s not the case.

AryaStarkWolf Tue 03-Sep-19 14:43:29

presumably because you are implying that renters are less successful than home owners. Obviously that’s not the case.

That's not what I meant no, maybe it was a hastily written post.

TFSRM Tue 03-Sep-19 14:51:17

I used to like him but he's not exactly leading by example is he if he's flown 5 times in the past month.

7salmonswimming Tue 03-Sep-19 14:53:51

He’s not wrong. His mistake is in thinking that he’s the right person to say this.

Just like Charles and Andy and Philip etc. They really do have an inflated sense of self (to put it very politely).

Rachelover40 Tue 03-Sep-19 14:54:26

We can all do better, it's a fact. I'm glad he is aware of the fact that he can do better, some people are so complacent.

I can certainly do better in many ways and am now going to think of how I can achieve that :-).

You're piling on to Prince Harry for no good reason.

LegoMam Tue 03-Sep-19 14:55:34

I think the media present should have pressed him harder when he suggested that he had to use a private jet as he has concerns about his family's safety. If it is possible for him to fly commercial on some occasions, can't they select their holiday destination to take that in to account?. Obviously it's different for his official engagements where he has to attend.

MauritiusNext Tue 03-Sep-19 14:56:42

'But accidentally taking a private jet 4 times in 11 days looks like carelessness. Poor Hazza’s not terribly bright, is he?'

He doesn't seem very bright no, certainly not media savvy which is surprising.

I wish he had a good PR person to help turn this around, but he just seems determined to keep digging himself a bigger hole.

WaterOffaDucksCrack Tue 03-Sep-19 14:57:02

I'm not a royalist at all. But there seem to be an awful lot of people who just don't like him due to the family and circumstances he was born into. I didn't realise we could choose those things!

I also think he's possibly been told to do this or a lot is being made of it to take the focus off his uncle.

Meghan will no doubt be brought up too, people seem to make whatever Harry says her fault. I like Meghan, she had a career etc of her own rather than waiting for a man to marry her.

paddlingwhenIshouldbeworking Tue 03-Sep-19 14:57:40

Its a bit Bono.

Yes we can all better, a lot better. I don't dislike Harry but its a bit ridiculous for him to jump on private jets if this is his chosen message.

This thread is not accepting new messages.