Talk

Advanced search

Manager won’t let me go to my wedding

(245 Posts)
Biggobyboo Sat 31-Aug-19 18:36:20

I’m a mature student (Master’s degree) and I’ve previously worked in professional office jobs. I’ve recently started a part time job on a make-up counter to earn some pin money and to get me out of the house. I always thought it seemed like a fun job and I like skincare and cosmetics.

When I sent back my contract to HR I mentioned I had my wedding coming up and a week off for my honeymoon. They said that was no problem.

I started the job and discovered my manager has the week of my honeymoon booked off for a holiday and flies out on my wedding day. The full time assistant is being a bridesmaid at another wedding that day so there is no cover in the store.

My manager said I cannot have the time off. I thought she was joking so I said “sure, I’ll just re-arrange it for the following week then!” She said that I should make it at least a couple of weeks after HER holiday. I explained that it wasn’t possible to cancel my wedding and she said it was a shame I wasn’t showing my dedication to the brand and being a team player so early on in the job. No more has been said as she has gone off sick so it’s just me and the other assistant. I can’t do too much (paid) overtime as I’m studying so she’s being funny with me. I’m contracted for 15 hours a week but I’m doing 22.5 hours currently to cover. The brand is recruiting for another part time assistant.

So should I just hand in my week’s notice now or wait until the week of my wedding? If I leave now, the other assistant will have nobody else so there will be no cover. The store is open around 60 hours a week but I’ve noticed the other brands leave their counters unmanned a lot of the time where they have no staff.

If I leave just before the wedding there will still be no cover for that weekend.

Any ideas? I’ve never worked anywhere this crazy before!

UtterlyUnimaginativeUsername Sat 31-Aug-19 21:00:32

I was stacking shelves a large supermarket when I was 19 and overheard the manager of the fruit and veg section tell a Colgate-Palmolive rep that the floor staff were 'a shower of stupid cunts'. I walked out and never went back.

Some workplaces don't deserve loyalty.

TheKarateKitty Sat 31-Aug-19 21:01:45

Since you don’t need it, definitely quit. I worked retail cosmetics for years, and it was horrible for a variety of reasons.

The manager reads like the typical cosmetics managers I worked with. Run!

19lottie82 Sat 31-Aug-19 21:07:32

They can't legally dictate in this situation
as previously booked holidays have to be
honoured

This isn’t true. Legally an employer can cancel pre approved leave as long as they give enough notice.

Obviously I’m not saying the OP IBU but they are within their (legal) rights to cancel her leave, even after agreeing to it previously.

malificent7 Sat 31-Aug-19 21:12:30

Noone to cover? Not your circus; not your monkeys. Just quit.

Frankola Sat 31-Aug-19 21:14:02

I'd put in a massive complaint about her and then leave tbh..she sounds like a right dick

gilliansgardenbench Sat 31-Aug-19 21:15:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StrangeLookingParasite Sat 31-Aug-19 21:19:30

She said that I should make it at least a couple of weeks after HER holiday. I explained that it wasn’t possible to cancel my wedding and she said it was a shame I wasn’t showing my dedication to the brand and being a team player so early on in the job.

Hah. She is hilair. A complete dickhead, but funny, too. She's also completely insane if she thinks you'll be rescheduling your wedding to flog slap.

StoneofDestiny Sat 31-Aug-19 21:19:57

Take your leave if it's been agreed. Your manager is wrong

ShellieEllie Sat 31-Aug-19 21:22:55

I wouldn't worry about it, she's off sick. You informed the recruiters about your wedding and they employed you... end of!

Mummyoflittledragon Sat 31-Aug-19 21:23:58

Ha ha ha. She’s hilarious. She can eat shit with that attitude. Why are some of the worst paid people treated so awfully?

EdithWeston Sat 31-Aug-19 21:32:19

Basically, HR fucked up when they approved your dates without reference to what the others in the team you were joining had already booked. None of you shouid be giving up your leave because of someone else's mistake

I'd bat it all back to HR to draft in cover from another store.

MagicKingdom Sat 31-Aug-19 21:34:28

If it's a beauty counter in a department store you might not be leaving them unstaffed. I work for a company that provides temp cover for various brands of makeup/skin care counters. Basically temp work. They can find cover if needed, good luck for the wedding and have a fantastic honeymoon!

VaggieMight Sat 31-Aug-19 21:34:40

Don't go in tomorrow. Life is too short to put up with crap like this. I was temp working abroad and had a similar situation, I just quit in the end and still remember how good it felt not to go back.

I feel for people who aren't in a position to quit and have to put up with low pay and terrible managers.

LatteLove Sat 31-Aug-19 21:40:18

I’d just chuck it, it’s a part time job on a makeup counter, no one will die if there isn’t any cover. If you want another job in a shop there will be plenty on the run up to Christmas.

LittleLongDog Sat 31-Aug-19 21:43:21

Life’s too short to go in tomorrow if it makes you feel like shit.

But, if you do go in: treat it as a bonus day and buy yourself something frivolous with the money.

gilliansgardenbench Sat 31-Aug-19 21:47:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ZiggyB Sat 31-Aug-19 21:51:04

What a witch! I’d be phoning up HR and explaining why I’m not coming back.

You’ll get another similar job in a heartbeat. Good luck OP.

PerkyPomPoms Sat 31-Aug-19 21:51:59

Hope hr sorted it out for you?

Winterlife Sat 31-Aug-19 22:03:02

Why are some of the worst paid people treated so awfully?

Because, unfortunately, employers can get away with it.

Aderyn19 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:12:27

I think this is HRs fault - they shouldn't have hired you without checking that your dates didn't clash with other leave booked.
The manager is bonkers to say what she did but I kind of feel a bit sorry for her. She needs that job and now maybe faces HR cancelling her leave because they fucked up.
Retail is a bloody awful job. I wouldn't just not turn up. It's rude and drops other employees in the shit. Give your notice when it suits you to.

sugar88 Sat 31-Aug-19 22:26:57

You manager said you wasn’t showing my dedication to the brand and being a team player so early on in the job?? What is that about honestly.

Hopefully HR can make the decision over your manager and grant the holiday, especially because you made it clear before you joined. How can they say that to someone about booking time off for their wedding?? Some people.

Are the people there being funny with you/making your life hell cus of it? If not I would wait for the HR response before resigning just to get as much money as you can before your wedding/honeymoon. If you're not really bothered about money either then I wouldn't blame you for handing in your notice now. Hopefully HR aren't stupid as it's obvious you wont be there those weeks whatever their decision is.

merrymouse Sat 31-Aug-19 22:34:33

If you don't need the money I would resign immediately.

I'd find it too difficult to lie at work - would you say that you had managed to move the wedding?

merrymouse Sat 31-Aug-19 22:35:36

She needs that job and now maybe faces HR cancelling her leave because they fucked up.

Agree.

Nonnymum Sat 31-Aug-19 22:35:56

,NoBaggyPants,she took the job on the understanding she could take the time of. Of course it's not her fault. If it's anyone's fault it's HR for not telling the manager about the agreement.
OP I would mention it to HR. If you decide to resign they would want to know why anyway. Your manager sounds terrible

youaremysunshine Sat 31-Aug-19 22:50:38

What mind of of oersin says someone cant have honeymoon off, tell HR

katewhinesalot Sat 31-Aug-19 22:53:03

When I was a student in your position I was told I needed to work Xmas Eve. I said that I would resign in that case. The manager told me not to blackmail her. I replied that I wasn't blackmailing her, it was just the way it was. She changed my shift.

I felt, and still feel very sorry, for the staff that really need those jobs and have to put up with any old shit that managers throw at them.

AdoreTheBeach Sun 01-Sep-19 06:05:39

I do think this ridiculous because your manager knows you’ll quit over this. They can also get cover if they know in advance. I’d just point out something though. “Mention” has different connotation to told/informed/spoke about. That’s more about saying something in passing. Are you sure HR made note of this?

As your manager is off sick and they’re recruiting another sales person - is this for your position or because your manager is long term sick?

Get in touch with HR to remind them it’s your wedding coming up and you plan to be gone xx days. That you wanted to ensure they remembered/planned for given your manager is offf sick. You’ll find out from that conversation a bit more - will you have a job to come back to? Would it be paid? Part paid?

Lastly though, you said this was for pin money so don’t get too stressed out. You don’t need that in the run up to your wedding nor while you’re studying, if it doesn’t pan out, get another job. It’s worth while now chatting with the other cosmetic brand salespeople that you’re getting married and given your manager is off sick, your co-worker has that time off too, worried about your position as the newbie. As they struggle for coverage, should things not work out, let the other brands know you’re interested and they’ll know of your managers unreasonableness regarding your wedding so any poor recommendation wouldn’t really be listened too.

Oops, sorry- another lastly lastly - buy all your cosmetics now while you have your staff discount!

Best of luck with the wedding. If you’re doing this many hours, you’ll need gone in the run up to the wedding so plan to leave giving yourself enough time for all the things you’ll need to do to prepare.

sueelleker Sun 01-Sep-19 08:23:34

I've mentioned this before; after I returned to P/T working at Asda from a knee replacement, I was told to ask for help shifting stock cages onto the shop floor.
I asked a new supervisor for help, and was told 'if you cant' do the job you shouldn't be here.' So I went upstairs, left a resignation letter in the office and walked out. Never heard from them again.

Its2oclockinthemorning Sun 01-Sep-19 17:19:11

If u can do without the money just hand in your notice

DarlingNikita Sun 01-Sep-19 17:25:09

I was going to say wait for HR (and I'd still be interested to hear what they have to say), but TBH your colleagues sound really unpleasant, making faces about what you do and sneering about your 'fancy degree'.

Fuck the lot of them. Leave them to the chips on their shoulders.

Oct18mummy Sun 01-Sep-19 17:26:39

Not your problem. Hr have said you can have the time off, therefore they can’t take any action against you it’s your wedding!!

I would quit if you can easily get another job after your wedding.

Tigerlilly17 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:28:06

Just be careful as if you don’t give notice, they can withhold pay. It’s better to go off sick then hand in your notice whilst off sick x

ahmadsmom2015 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:31:56

Not your problem. Just leave and enjoy your wedding don’t worry about anything else. HR can deal with it. don’t feel guilty.

GoneToTheDock Sun 01-Sep-19 17:32:39

FFS, HR can cancel the leave

The company can cancel your leave if they want to.

www.landaulaw.co.uk/holidays/

Can my employer cancel a pre-booked holiday?
Yes, your employer can cancel a period of annual leave, which is notice of at least the same length as the period of leave to be cancelled. For example, if you have booked a period of four days’ annual leave, your employer must give at least four days’ notice of cancellation.

Passenger42 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:32:53

Get a medical certificate that states work stress and enjoy your honeymoon as relaxing is good for your stress .. you can sign off without need for medical cert for 7 days. Don’t resign as that makes life easy for them if they are not going to honour your prearranged unpaid leave.

Caramagoo Sun 01-Sep-19 17:33:53

Apologies if you've already done this, haven't read entire thread, but I'd name the brand. If social media is good for one thing, it can force employers into treating staff better. She's your manager and therefore acting on behalf of the company. I wouldn't just walk away. Others don't have that luxury. If you don't make a stand, she'll treat someone else like shit.

Deathraystare Sun 01-Sep-19 17:34:05

I worked at a supermarket when I was doing my A levels and some of the supervisors were like this, they made sure I was rotated on whenever I had an exam just so they could yell at me about being "difficult" - I got told I would lose my job if I went to my chemistry exam, so I walked out mid shift, fuck that.

I came across this mentality when 'bullied' by the job centre to get a job i a factory. A real eye opener for someone who had worked in an office. I was due to take some exams and mentioned it to the line manager who then had to contact whoever was above her. It was weird because you were not allowed to speak to the managers when in an office situation the boss got a Hi john from me every morning!

I was told they would not give me leave and had they had known when I started, they would not have employed me anyway.

I quit and mum was so glad. It worried her that when I came home I barely spoke and went straight to bed.

For the record the job was cutting off thread from skirts, no talking allowed. It was hell..

Bunnyfuller Sun 01-Sep-19 17:35:06

Sounds like HR didn’t actually firm this up with your manager. A ‘yeah, that should be fine’ doesn’t sound very binding and not really their place to ok it without liaising with the relevant department. Did they give you this in writing?

perfectstorm Sun 01-Sep-19 17:36:06

It's not crazy, is it? You started a job without getting your annual leave authorised in writing. That's no one's fault but your own.

@NoBaggyPants, she did get it in writing. Why didn't you just ask, instead of making an unflattering assumption and having a swipe on that basis? confused

OP the manager is being ridiculous. Talk to HR, as you are doing. If annual leave was agreed and that was the basis on which you took the job, then the manager's being disgraceful. Team playing doesn't mean cancelling your wedding for a temp job! It would in fact mean supporting a team member so they can enjoy their wedding, surely.

perfectstorm Sun 01-Sep-19 17:37:29

OP, at 16.41: I have the email back from HR before I started the job confirming my annual leave was okay.

She got it in writing.

Catforaheadrest Sun 01-Sep-19 17:38:16

@Biggobyboo so what happened today??

@LightsInOtherPeoplesHouses what on Earth was your job??

Supermum29 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:38:52

I’d quit and make HR are fully aware of the reasons why... manager will wish they’d just agreed the holiday!

Radoy Sun 01-Sep-19 17:40:19

Definitely notify HR of this unreasonable behaviour on your manager's part. Secure the time off for your wedding with HR and continue there but actively look elsewhere. I don't think anyone could succeed working for someone with this attitude. You have one career and you owe it to yourself to work for people who value you.

BogglesGoggles Sun 01-Sep-19 17:44:25

Your annual leave has been confirmed by HR. Don’t say anymore and take your annual leave as planned. Hand in your notice the day before you leave.

LellyMcKelly Sun 01-Sep-19 17:46:24

I’d keep going until you find another job or until just before your wedding. Max out your staff discount and then hand in your notice the week before stating why. I think that’s honest and transparent, while at the same time benefitting you and landing your manager with some tough questions to face.

proseccoaficionado Sun 01-Sep-19 17:47:45

This actually got my heart rate up. I really can't believe someone can be this stupid. Leave and don't look back. This takes crazy on a new level

Pawsandnoses Sun 01-Sep-19 17:50:59

Okay, a few clarifications:-

1) An employer can dictate when annual leave can be and could cancel it... but in this instance you absolutely wouldn't and an employee could take out a civil suit for loss as there is an email confirmation. Besides, on balance of probability, would you fail to tell a new employer about leave you needed for your own wedding.

2) It's not HR's fault that leave clashed. You wouldn't recruit on the basis that someone else might have the same holiday week.

3) There is no law that says you have to be granted a day off for your wedding or that you get an extra days' leave. If you're an existing employee, normal rules apply, a joining employee, no Manager in their right mind would refuse in this scenario.

4) You can't bring a constructive dismissal claim without 2 years service.

To be honest though , this Manager sounds like an arse. Personally, I'd go in as contracted and serve my contractual notice, but their only remedy if you chose to just never turn up again would bevto sue for breach of contract and you would have to pay them notice. It's never goingvto happen as legal costs woild exc

Pawsandnoses Sun 01-Sep-19 17:52:16

Would exceed.

Finally, you do have to be paid for the work you have completed and if they withold, you phone acas and raise an early conciliation for breach of contract.

PonderingPanda Sun 01-Sep-19 17:55:51

@Biggobyboo - how was today?

Sb74 Sun 01-Sep-19 17:59:01

Why are you even asking? Just quit. I’m sure there’s plenty of other pin money jobs you could get. What a stupid attitude the manager has.

Snazwark Sun 01-Sep-19 18:00:44

@Biggobyboo I’ve worked for various brands . As a manager and assistant , I’m assuming your in a department store ? I would go and speak to your department manager as they can provide some sort of cover for the counter with department store staff, Although your manager ( counter ) is in charge of the rota she/he doesn’t have the authority if your area manager / H.R has already given you annual leave .
Counters are often left unmanned and it just means that targets won’t be hit , I would speak to your area manager and your department store manager and explain the situation, they can draft in cover staff if need be .

BernadetteRostankowskiWolowitz Sun 01-Sep-19 18:03:14

I'd give HR til Tuesday to respond. If they don't, then just don't go back.

Jack80 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:04:17

If you told them about your wedding and honeymoon then they need to honour your time off, I've never had a problem when stating holidays before. They honoured them as they ask what holidays you have.

FelicisNox Sun 01-Sep-19 18:05:24

I was going to recommend going back to HR as your manager clearly knows she's in the wrong - hence the sick leave.

However: I really don't think it's worth the aggravation you will get on her return if you do fight your corner.

You said it yourself, it's pin money and a way to get out of the house and you can do that anywhere. It's also not your problem re: staffing.

Find another job ASAP.

cherish123 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:13:32

HR have okayed it so it's no problem.

If things get too awkward - just leave (if you can afford to. If not I am sure you would get something else). You don't need a reference.

chipmunksmummy Sun 01-Sep-19 18:15:03

I've reset my long forgotten mumsnet password just so I can log in and find out how this saga ends 😆

Manager sounds like a complete fallus!

lisalobe Sun 01-Sep-19 18:15:58

Get in touch with your area manager, presumably she did your interview?
If you have it in writing that it's agreed you have nothing to worry about and they can be taken to an employment tribunal for breech of contract.
I understand that you don't want the hassle for a fill in job, but why should they get away with it? It could have been someone who really needs the work/money?
They can sort out cover with an agency.
I worked in cosmetics for 20 years as management. Good luck x

Yappy12 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:20:37

OP if you need the money and like the job just go off sick a day or two before the wedding and stay off a fortnight. They can't prove you're not sick.

Twinkled Sun 01-Sep-19 18:22:30

Leave now . You want to and also don't need a reference from them. Good riddance to them. Let the manager figure out cover. If she'd treated you fairly you would not have resorted to leaving suddenly but you are better off out of there . Also others in the store sound petty and bitchy by their response to you. Best of luck finding a new job where you are appreciated and treated better.

DungballInADress Sun 01-Sep-19 18:23:48

So no, it's not HR's problem, but as someone who used to work in retail and now in HR, we would ask people about pre-booked leave at interview stage, but may not check this with the manager, we generally just honour it, and would certainly honour it for a wedding, even if the entire department was on holiday that week. However, where HR is not on-site, managers can be a law unto themselves; I worked in one store where a manager arrived drunk or very hungover quite regularly, and another where the manager actively favoured all male members of the team and told us that they didnt need to vacuum, clean displays or tidy up, because that was "women's work".

I would call HR and act confused "I have an email from you stating that would be fine, but the manager is now advising me I need to cancel my wedding because she is on holiday". Failing that, I would quit.

Enjoy your wedding OP!

Vynalbob Sun 01-Sep-19 18:45:29

Quit on the grounds that the manager didn't uphold the agreement to HR. It is not your responsibility to worry about staff. If they are at all worried they will ship someone in temp.
Have a good wedding and don't look back.

doublesheesh Sun 01-Sep-19 18:55:08

NoBaggyPants you are one of those people who has to be nasty. The OP clearly stated that she told them of the wedding and honeymoon dates and they approved. She also got it in writing. But hey, you go and tell her that it is still all her fault. You just come on here to try ot make people feel bad. Didn't work. You just made yourself look bad. To everyone. Nice one.

PinkP65 Sun 01-Sep-19 18:58:21

I hope there is somebody in HR who will admit the conversation transpired with you, and when.

So many slippery people, right?

It is your wedding. Just find another job. It sounds like you're an intelligent, able person. Stay until the last minute, pack your things and just bail.

Seriously. Do not allow the slimy-comings of others to stain your wedding day. Make it a day of powerful fun, strength and how you mean to go forward in your life.

And, in the future, get everything in hardcopy, no matter what they tell you. If they say you do not need it, just tell them to humor you, that you feel better with hard copy. Once it becomes a habit, you will be so glad you did.

I hope you have a lovely wedding day, night, and that your honeymoon memories last a lifetime!

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sun 01-Sep-19 19:01:25

I would raise it with HR as they were the ones who said it was ok when you accepted the job - did you get anything in writing?

Similar thing happened to DH - except it wasn't a new job - all holiday requests (your entire 25 days) had to be submitted the year before And was first come first served - he submitted his forms the exact same time as several others on the same day at same minute on online system and it was declined!

(Until I went bat shit bridezilla crazy and went storming down there!)

definitelyshouldknowbetter Sun 01-Sep-19 19:02:55

As others have said this sounds like the counter manager you have dealt with, she is probably thinking she needs to cover her arse as where I work you can’t have two people off at once so she’ll be in the shit for authorising another team member to be off at the same time as her, when you go in and say you’re off too then her line manager will/should be asking her questions as to why there is no cover.

I would do as PP suggested and contact your area manager and the store dept manager and be quite assertive about it, “I’m just letting you know that I’m off xxxx for my wedding, tillyfloss has said that it’s an issue but it was authorised via email from HR prior to my starting” end of conversation, you know you’re not there for the long haul so I’d turn up, get the commission and staff discountgrin

PinkP65 Sun 01-Sep-19 19:03:26

One other thing:

Yes, just leave. Your manager is there to pick up the missing hours and workload of the staff, not you! Teach her a lesson in character. Show her what it means to be a true professional. All the while, you on your honeymoon, she will contemplate the move you made every minute.

Sometimes you just have to lead by example.

TanMateix Sun 01-Sep-19 19:05:45

It seems like the perfect job to walk out off.

BUT...

It is not your boss’ fault (although I admit s/he sounds like an arse), surely you cannot expect them to cancel their holidays, or the bridesmaid to re arrange. It is just a matter of finding someone else in the store to cover the day for the three of you.

Talk to HR, they said it was ok, they can help find someone to cover.

Now, if the wedding is far into the future or next week, find another job, it is not as if you are leaving a highly regarded career break opportunity if you are just using it to help support yourself through your studies.

PassMeAnotherCoffee Sun 01-Sep-19 19:06:06

Did you go in?

bigKiteFlying Sun 01-Sep-19 19:07:47

Your annual leave has been confirmed by HR. Don’t say anymore and take your annual leave as planned.

This - just keep saying HR have approved it.

I'd go in and quit when I had a better job or when it suited me.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Sun 01-Sep-19 19:08:39

I’d hand in week before as it will screw them over to a greater degree tbh

ShimmeryShiny Sun 01-Sep-19 19:19:46

Quit YANBU

Emmas1985 Sun 01-Sep-19 19:30:48

no baggy pants she told HR hmm god the attitude of some mumsnetters grin

AnotherAdultHumanFemale Sun 01-Sep-19 19:36:01

Sounds terrible, I would leave asap OP and look for a new job. It's insane for your manager to expect you to postpone your wedding. A normal person would see the problem and arrange cover from elsewhere or close up shop for the day.

millimat Sun 01-Sep-19 19:42:27

Did hr confirm the exact dates?

AppleKatie Sun 01-Sep-19 19:42:36

Did you go in OP? Have you made any decisions?

cannycat20 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:07:28

They do sound pretty awful to work for; but in my experience over the years (as both a manager and an employee), whenever you agree ANYTHING verbally you MUST back it up in writing, or at the very least an email which you then print out and keep until you have left that job. (For some documents, longer than that.)

Context - I have had over 20 jobs in my life (many of them temporary in the early days when there was very little work to go round) and I have worked for every size and type of organisation from huge international mega-corps to the public sector.

I hope you get this sorted.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 01-Sep-19 20:10:56

Come back, OP —i’m— we’re all very invested in this grin

Jeeperscreepers69 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:11:52

If you told them at your interveiw they have to honor the holidays. Simples

GoodbyeRosie Sun 01-Sep-19 20:23:46

I walked out of a job in PC World mid shift because the manager had a go at me for not selling an extended warranty to a couple of nuns buying a laptop.

The satisfaction was amazing..I always find petty managers hilarious. I think the resentment they have for people that don't see retail/ call centre management as the holy grail of employment is quite sad.

I haven't read all the thread, but I'm guessing a notice has been handed in ?

Biggobyboo Sun 01-Sep-19 20:28:00

I ended up walking out today, had a really rude customer, had to call an assistant manager over who sided with the customer. I had been told to always follow policy and the manager went against this particular policy to shut the customer up. Yet if I hadn’t followed the policy I would have been told off.

So I walked away, got my bag and went home!

Jeeperscreepers69 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:31:47

Enjoy your wedding. Take your holidays as pre arranged with head office and piss your manager off for being a unprofessional arse hole and not checking your holidays. Then bounce back with a tan and a smug smile and a box of cakes😍 keep your freinds close your enemies closer i belive is the saying. 🎂🎂🎂 If she says anything ask her for it in writing as you cleared holidays at interveiw with h. R. And you will need to send them a copy of your reaction. She will cack a brick.

Jeeperscreepers69 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:32:36

*her reaction sorry

PinkPanther27 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:47:35

I had a manager like that- wouldn't let me take leave to sit my accountancy exam (the job was in accounts as well!) She sounds awful, find something else asap and leave

WhisperingJesse Sun 01-Sep-19 20:48:25

Good for you! I bet that felt good.

healththrowawayx Sun 01-Sep-19 20:54:35

God I’m glad I left retail. Some managers can be so jobs-worthy, and I actually liked my managers! The undermining, telling people to do unreasonable things for the sake of being a ‘team player’ and problems with pre-approved holiday are problems I know well. But imagine telling staff to rearrange their bloody wedding??!

Look, if they’re understaffed it’s their own fault. It a counter within a store, not the actual store. Best case scenario, they find cover from elsewhere or hire someone else. Worst case, the counter is closed and staff from other counters check customers out instead. Not that serious and not worth worrying about!

Iain789 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:54:43

Terrible situation I would hand in my notice immediately there's no shame in leaving a company and you obviously can't really on them in the future. If the brand is so important to the manager what chance of her cancelling her holiday? Probably 0. You can do much better and work for good people. Best of luck.

pam290358 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:55:07

Frankly I would tell your manager she must be having a laugh if she really expects you to rearrange your wedding. So unreasonable as to be laughable, and if you OK’d it at the interview before starting the job, AND have the email to prove it, I don’t see that they can do anything other than honour it. Sounds like an utterly crap place to work and I don’t blame you if you quit now.

Straycatblue Sun 01-Sep-19 20:55:33

Good for you!
Most of us only get to dream of doing that at our workplace grin

Very seldom in jobs do we have the chance to say fuck this for a laugh when we are getting royally screwed so to be able to do it in this instance must have felt very satisfying. Hope you're celebrating tonight. grin

Iain789 Sun 01-Sep-19 20:56:45

Good for you!! Now look forward to the wedding with no worry. 😁

rededucator Sun 01-Sep-19 20:58:53

Well done for standing up for yourself. Have a wonderful wedding and honeymoon x

Biggobyboo Sun 01-Sep-19 20:59:08

To be honest, I just feel really tired and anxious. My fiancé works away a lot so I just have weeks on my own now really with no reason to leave the house. Oh well, at least I don’t have to work there as I wasn’t enjoying it.

healththrowawayx Sun 01-Sep-19 21:02:58

Promise not all retail jobs are like this, you can actually enjoy working with your colleagues and be treated with respect! Its up to you whether it’s worth looking for another job for something to do or not. You can also spend your free time just ticking things off your bucket list eg visiting museums, exploring your city, going to the gym - just doing things you don’t have time for when you’re working/studying again.

Drum2018 Sun 01-Sep-19 21:14:34

You'll find something else and you don't need to put that job on your cv at all. It sounds horrendous. That shit of an assistant manager going against policy annoyed me no end. Happened to me years ago and I got into touble. I was following policy and customer complained and I was ate the next day in front of all the staff. Good on you for leaving.

SpiralHecate Sun 01-Sep-19 21:23:13

Ridiculous. You do have it in writing that you had authorisation to take time off for your wedding, it's HR's fault if they didn't run that by the manager before she made her holiday plans.

Hand in your notice if they won't arrange adequate cover, if they don't care about you, you don't have to care about them.

Alicia147 Sun 01-Sep-19 21:27:41

Legally they have to honour your time off. I would personally speak to a no win no fee employment solicitor as you have a case and take that manager and the company for all there worth. People please stop allowing these awful managers and companies get away with such atrocities. Please enjoy your wedding and stop this from happening to other people.

I completely understand that you and your partner may not need the money, which is great but there will be a single mother with a sick child or something else who is treated as atrociously, stand up for yourself and the poor person who comes after as you definitely deserve better than the way you’ve been treated and I hope that you have a fantastic wedding.

justilou1 Sun 01-Sep-19 21:31:51

I have worked in the industry. They’re like sharks, aren’t they? There is no logic to this and they are jealous, bitter women. I think ultimately you probably did the right thing.

CokeAndCrispsAndDip Sun 01-Sep-19 21:42:21

Could you do some voluntary work anywhere to just have people contact? Any charity shops or animal sanctuaries near you? I would go crazy stuck in all the time.

Good on you for walking out. Life's too short.

LatteLove Sun 01-Sep-19 21:44:33

I would personally speak to a no win no fee employment solicitor as you have a case and take that manager and the company for all there worth

Even if she had a claim, which I doubt, its unlikely to be worth expending any time, effort and cost in doing this. Likewise complaining to HR, going off sick etc. It’s a 2 bit part time job on a makeup counter, not worth doing anything other than jacking it in and moving on.

healththrowawayx Sun 01-Sep-19 21:44:40

In my experience, certain people that are essentially stuck in retail for life get annoyed with students, almost treating them like a nuisance? Like my old manager would always schedule my shifts that would conflict with my university schedule and actually wanted me to miss university to be stuck behind a till all day

GoneToTheDock Sun 01-Sep-19 21:58:41

@Alicia147

Legally they have to honour your time off. I would personally speak to a no win no fee

No! They dont
I'll paste it again for you

The company can cancel your leave if they want to.

www.landaulaw.co.uk/holidays/

Can my employer cancel a pre-booked holiday?
Yes, your employer can cancel a period of annual leave, which is notice of at least the same length as the period of leave to be cancelled. For example, if you have booked a period of four days’ annual leave, your employer must give at least four days’ notice of cancellation.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »