Talk

Advanced search

Manager won’t let me go to my wedding

(245 Posts)
Biggobyboo Sat 31-Aug-19 18:36:20

I’m a mature student (Master’s degree) and I’ve previously worked in professional office jobs. I’ve recently started a part time job on a make-up counter to earn some pin money and to get me out of the house. I always thought it seemed like a fun job and I like skincare and cosmetics.

When I sent back my contract to HR I mentioned I had my wedding coming up and a week off for my honeymoon. They said that was no problem.

I started the job and discovered my manager has the week of my honeymoon booked off for a holiday and flies out on my wedding day. The full time assistant is being a bridesmaid at another wedding that day so there is no cover in the store.

My manager said I cannot have the time off. I thought she was joking so I said “sure, I’ll just re-arrange it for the following week then!” She said that I should make it at least a couple of weeks after HER holiday. I explained that it wasn’t possible to cancel my wedding and she said it was a shame I wasn’t showing my dedication to the brand and being a team player so early on in the job. No more has been said as she has gone off sick so it’s just me and the other assistant. I can’t do too much (paid) overtime as I’m studying so she’s being funny with me. I’m contracted for 15 hours a week but I’m doing 22.5 hours currently to cover. The brand is recruiting for another part time assistant.

So should I just hand in my week’s notice now or wait until the week of my wedding? If I leave now, the other assistant will have nobody else so there will be no cover. The store is open around 60 hours a week but I’ve noticed the other brands leave their counters unmanned a lot of the time where they have no staff.

If I leave just before the wedding there will still be no cover for that weekend.

Any ideas? I’ve never worked anywhere this crazy before!

bamboocat Sat 31-Aug-19 18:54:04

I'd just leave a resignation letter of the counter, walk out and not bother going back.

EnglishRose13 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:56:14

I'm surprised you didn't just laugh and walk out when she suggested you move your wedding!

TatianaLarina Sat 31-Aug-19 18:56:46

I’d tell her she’s damn right you have no brand loyalty as you’re doing the job for pin money during a Masters.

She has two choices: either give you time off for your wedding or you resign now.

HillRunner Sat 31-Aug-19 18:57:48

See what HR say, but If they're arsey about it, start looking for another job and leave ASAP.

GreyGardens88 Sat 31-Aug-19 18:58:17

I can't believe she said you're not a team player for not wanting to re-arrange your own wedding..fuck off. She sounds like a terrible manager. I would quit now and tell the HR why and also discuss the managers attitude!

BumbleBeee69 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:00:32

Resign and leave now OP, enjoy the days building up to your Wedding Day. flowers

However, I would write clearly, in fine detail, your reasons for leaving and exactly how your line Manager responded to your authorised leave, and how you were treated following that conversation.

I hope your Wedding goes well flowers

scoobydoo1971 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:00:50

Why not go on sick leave...lets face it, weddings are stressful anyway! If they dismiss you as a result, it is not a disaster as this is just a student job anyway. You may want to leave and find alternative employment anyway as the manager sounds like a control freak.

Pardonwhat Sat 31-Aug-19 19:00:52

Gosh. How powerful is she hey!? How impressive. Go to HR. What a cow!

Ilikethisone Sat 31-Aug-19 19:01:19

Fuck that. I wouldn't even go back.

Biggobyboo Sat 31-Aug-19 19:01:32

I’m meant to be working on my own tomorrow as it’s Sunday but I don’t want to go in!

Boom45 - yes, I’ve noticed that a lot of the old school store staff are funny with me because I’m a student. When they ask what I’ve done before they make faces at each other when I tell them. One of the ladies at another counter said “so what are you doing here then if you have a fancy degree?” I thought I had been really breezy and smiley when I said “oh I used to do xyz but I’ve taken some time out to go back to university” but they don’t seem to like that.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 31-Aug-19 19:01:52

I'd just quit. I know that weddings are important to everyone, but no decent company would expect an employee to face financial difficulties due to bad planning.

gilliansgardenbench Sat 31-Aug-19 19:01:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Cryalot2 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:02:01

She is asking you to rearrange your wedding! She was way out of order.
Do what makes you happy and enjoy your day.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Sat 31-Aug-19 19:02:55

*arent important.

gilliansgardenbench Sat 31-Aug-19 19:03:02

Babynut1 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:03:07

I’d resign at the time that’s going to cause them the most inconvenience 😁

gilliansgardenbench Sat 31-Aug-19 19:06:20

Biggobyboo Sat 31-Aug-19 19:07:29

Thanks for the nice comments, I was honestly expecting someone to say I was being unreasonable and my minimum wage job should comes first. Or how will I ever make counter manager if I’m not a team player.

Not that there is anything wrong with working retail or any job but the expectation from the manager that I sacrifice my wedding to sell moisturiser and lipstick in a shop!

Luckily we don’t need the money. I do have a couple of interviews for part time jobs at a university coming up which should be more suited to me. I’m studying via the Open University so I don’t get out of the house much!

londonrach Sat 31-Aug-19 19:08:42

Some things are more important...id resign. Go through hr first and tell them reasons re leave. Id be think job as manager sounds 👹

Biggobyboo Sat 31-Aug-19 19:09:35

Would I be totally unreasonable to not go in tomorrow and just to never go back again?!

Sceptre86 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:09:39

Leave now, really not your fault. The other assistant should just do her paid hours and no more. The store manager can look at pulling staff from other beauty counters to cover or even other stores. If you don't need them for your cv reference I would walk away now.

Alsohuman Sat 31-Aug-19 19:10:41

Tell the manager to stick her lipstick up her arse and leave. Ridiculous people.

Littlemeadow123 Sat 31-Aug-19 19:11:17

You don't owe them anything. Get out of there as soon as possible. Make sure that you email head office and explain fully why you are leaving.

Aridane Sat 31-Aug-19 19:11:22

I wouldn't resign - sounds a nice just job! See what HR can sort out

Nanny0gg Sat 31-Aug-19 19:11:37

I'd certainly not be going in tomorrow!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »