Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I keep this covered up?

(19 Posts)
directline Tue 07-Aug-07 14:46:59

I am so mad at the mo, my MIL has just popped in to pick the girls up to take them out as I have a District Nurse coming. I have a nasty UTI at the mo and as I have a catheter fitted was told by the Dr to wear a drainage bag so I didnt have to keep going to the loo. Well to cut a long story short MIL has told me I shouldnt be wearing shorts(They are ones that come to my knees) but should instead be wearing a long skirt. I should in her words keep the bag covered up. I wouldnt mind but for goodness sake Im at home, if I went out then fair enough. She says its not fair on my DDs, the youngest one is 7 and a half. If they have friends around I do cover it then, but I feel that when its just family I should be allowed to relax(ha ha) alittle!

Am I being unreasonable, if so then I will keep my bag covered indoors.

TheQueenOfQuotes Tue 07-Aug-07 14:48:26

she's talking utter garbage - ignore her.

it's none of her business. if it doesn't bother anyone you live with why should it bother her??

EscapeFrom Tue 07-Aug-07 14:49:27

YANBU

Presumably her complaint is which you admitting you have bodily secretions in any way shape or form.

tiredemma Tue 07-Aug-07 14:49:48

Its your house- you can wear and do what you like in it. Tell her to mind her own business.

sweetcat Tue 07-Aug-07 14:50:14

YANBU. If it's just your family around, or the District nurse then wear what you like. Bloody MIL'S!!

NotADragonOfSoup Tue 07-Aug-07 14:51:17

Can you knit or crochet a lovely cover-up bag for it instead? Maybe your MIL would oblige. [rolls eyes]

No, you shouldn't keep it covered when you're at home with family. Sheesh.

directline Tue 07-Aug-07 14:51:34

Im so cross with her because she said all of this infront of the youngest two. So in my opinion she has now made them think that maybe there is something more to this as so far they have been quite natural about this.

bev1e Tue 07-Aug-07 14:52:23

Please don't take any notice of her. It's your bag you wear it how you want to wear it.

FWIW I had one for 3 weeks and the DCs were fascinated by it. Even went to a party with it strapped to my leg - would've been mortified if it burst though!

directline Tue 07-Aug-07 14:55:38

I must admit it is a talking point in our house at the mo, DH comes home from work and its not how are you dear BUT what colour is it today!!!

I too would be mortified if it burst, I do think its too hot to keep it covered thou, Im trying so hard to be normal at the mo, and try and think that things are OK, when she then comes out with this!

CrookshanksinJimmyChoos Tue 07-Aug-07 14:57:02

Tell her that when she's senile and shitting herself and wearing her own bag, you will make sure she keeps her bag covered up, even if its boiling outside!!!

MascaraOHara Tue 07-Aug-07 15:00:01

She is a MIL, her sole purpose in adult life is to wind you up. Nod, smile and carry on regardless.

jaynehater Tue 07-Aug-07 15:00:57

And I suppose she has a sign on her toilet door saying 'powder room', does she?

Your MIL is living in an antiquated world of denial, she'll live, YANBU.

directline Tue 07-Aug-07 15:55:32

Thanks guys, She did just for a short while make me think that maybe I should. She did say she thought it was damaging my childrens health.

WanderingTrolley Tue 07-Aug-07 15:59:20

She is mad.

Your house, your rules, your, er, wee.

Perhaps she watched The Royle Family the other night and thought you were going to empty it over the washing up?

Take off long shorts and put on hotpants for her return.

directline Tue 07-Aug-07 16:00:47

hotpants - LOL now that would give her something to complain about.

NotADragonOfSoup Tue 07-Aug-07 16:12:11

Blimey, hotpants would invite horrified comment in the Dragon household even without a bag...

kslatts Tue 07-Aug-07 17:06:10

Yanbu - your house, she should mind her own business.

directline Tue 07-Aug-07 17:46:22

DH is home now and so I am going to ask him the question and see what his response is. He is very alike to his mother.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now