Talk

Advanced search

UPDATE: AIBU to ask who you think will win GBBO 2019? (Spoilers!)

(73 Posts)
StellaMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 29-Aug-19 14:27:02

Hi folks,

It's that time of year again, when Paul, Prue, Sandi and Noel join a troop of eager bakers in the Great British Bake Off tent... and we cancel Tuesday night plans for the foreseeable future to watch them, cuppa and several slices of cake in hand.

With two bakers already off home (farewell, Dan and Jamie), GBBO 2019 is well and truly underway, and not without a few customary disasters, either (anyone else feel strangely comforted when Jamie forgot to add the eggs to his showstopper in week 1? Or relieved that you're not the only one who could make a fig roll turn out like a sausage roll? No? Just us then).

Update 1: Week three in the GBBO 2019 tent saw the 11 remaining bakers tackle bread - never an easy feat. Paul was impressed, though, giving out the very first Hollywood Handshake of the series (there’d been four dished out by this episode last year, apparently) to Michael for his tear-and-share Keralan Star Bread. It was farewell to Amelia - not before giving Prue a coughing fit with her spicy loaf - leaving 10 bakers remaining for next week’s Dairy Week.

With just three bakers down, there's still all to play/bake for, and we'd love to know who you think will win GBBO 2019. Let us know by voting in the poll below.

Update 2: Week four in the GBBO 2019 tent was Dairy Week, a new addition to the Bake Off calendar. Some of the bakers thrived, some struggled, and Paul Hollywood almost stormed off set after some characteristic honesty, announcing “They’re awful, they’re really bad”. Steph was awarded Star Baker, and the group said goodbye to Phil, leaving nine bakers remaining for next Tuesday’s Roaring Twenties Week.

There's still all to play/bake for, and we'd love to know who you think will win GBBO 2019. Let us know by voting in the poll below.

HarrietMWelsch Wed 04-Sep-19 14:35:06

Helena all the way! cake

HairyFloppins Wed 04-Sep-19 14:39:58

Alice I think, she is a brilliant cook.

hayfeverlastsforever Wed 04-Sep-19 14:47:30

Alice to win!

BearSoFair Wed 04-Sep-19 14:50:53

David the early favourite to win in this house!

adaline Wed 04-Sep-19 14:56:05

Alice!

bluebeck Wed 04-Sep-19 14:57:24

I think Alice will win although I don't want her to!!!

merryhouse Wed 04-Sep-19 15:36:29

Awww, poor Jamie!

I confess to a soft spot for Henry (mildly geeky organists are kinda my thing - daddy issues wink)

I voted Michelle (she has both style and substance, though her dragon went a bit awry) but I like both David and Michael. What can I say, I have sons in and approaching young-adulthood.

Bread week next week! Usually a pretty good pointer.

SalemTheTeenageWitch Wed 04-Sep-19 15:40:22

Helena because she is amazing!

dollydaydream114 Wed 04-Sep-19 15:56:37

I'd absolutely love it if Helena won, but in reality I suspect it will be goody-goody Alice...

SilverySurfer Wed 04-Sep-19 16:05:00

No idea, haven't watched it since it moved from the BBC and dislike both Toksvig and Fielding.? How are the viewing numbers on ?

SilverySurfer Wed 04-Sep-19 16:06:18

on C4 that should say - oh for an edit button.

St0pTryingT0MakeFetchHappen Wed 04-Sep-19 16:13:30

@MNHQ you really need to put a spoiler warning on this thread!

Foxyloxy1plus1 Wed 04-Sep-19 16:14:27

Alice or Henry

taytosandwich Wed 04-Sep-19 16:14:26

@St0pTryingT0MakeFetchHappen how is it a spoiler, the show has already aired!

Worgust Wed 04-Sep-19 16:18:01

I predict Michelle will win.

BearRabbitPants Wed 04-Sep-19 16:20:30

I'm not sure yet! Too early to tell... is this going to be the GBBO thread for 2019? If so place marking for future chats smilecake!

TokyoSushi Wed 04-Sep-19 16:21:23

Alice, or maybe Michelle

DontCallMeShitley Wed 04-Sep-19 16:41:18

Am not up to date with it yet but if Alice is the arm waving, grinning one I sincerely hope she is gone soon or I fear I will smash the TV screen in annoyance at the over projecting.

I did like the man with the bun (hair bun, not baked bun) so was sorry he has gone. Other than that it is a bit too soon to guess.

ArseholesOnToast Wed 04-Sep-19 17:17:52

I voted Henry but who knows? All I know is now I’m low-carbing it’s torture watching it...all that cake and I can’t have any 😂

FuzzyPuffling Wed 04-Sep-19 17:33:14

No idea. But
1) they don't seem very age-diverse this year, all rather young.
2) the challenges are more about presentation than baking.

C4 who are you trying to appeal to?

BonnesVacances Wed 04-Sep-19 17:38:12

David seems like a dark horse. He's been in the background which I usually think is an editing decision so he doesn't stand out from the beginning.

iklboo Wed 04-Sep-19 17:49:37

Is Alice the one who can't stand still when she's talking?

adaline Wed 04-Sep-19 17:55:34

I don't get the Helena love, she seems like she's trying a bit too hard to be individual/stand-out and it's not really working....

dottiedodah Wed 04-Sep-19 18:12:43

Jamie went home this week .Felt a bit sorry for him really ,seemed a bit out of his depth TBH!I think Rosie and Alice are both very good Who knows? still early days !

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »