Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that ds (2.9) was handed a crucifix by a complete stranger today?

(68 Posts)
beansprout Mon 06-Aug-07 17:49:33

We were playing in the park. Dh called so I was just having a quick word with him. Ds was next to me and a beatific looking couple came up and handed him something. I didn't quite register this until they were walking away. Ds said, "what's this mummy?" and I realised it was a crucifix attached to some beads.

WTF?!!!

filchthemildmanneredjanitor Mon 06-Aug-07 17:50:21

a rosary.

you can disapprove but i think you should accept the caring sentiment that it was given in.

LazyLineLegilimens Mon 06-Aug-07 17:50:23

Should have shouted at them to keep their make-believe claptrap to themselves.

beansprout Mon 06-Aug-07 17:52:18

Personally, I'm with tolerant but respectful. This would include not foisting my beliefs on other people, e.g. I wouldn't go up to their children and give them a book which explains that there is no god.

JeremyVile Mon 06-Aug-07 17:52:49

Aaaww, how lovely, somewhat misjudged but sweet nonetheless.

3Ddonut Mon 06-Aug-07 17:54:01

How odd! I'd have been 'unsettled' by it. It's not the kind of thing to give a young child really.

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 17:54:04

appreciate the sentiment behind it
think 'what lovely people to share something obviously so precious to them with DS'
then put it away and forget about it.

beansprout Mon 06-Aug-07 17:55:01

Well, I didn't exactly bring it home. It's on the ground in the park where we left it, not having any need for it and all....

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 17:55:07

(and to be fair they did just give it to him, they didn't say (eg) 'Can you see the little man on that cross? He's dead and it's all your fault?'. That would have been unreasonable.)

kyala Mon 06-Aug-07 17:56:36

I would've been gobbsmacked if it were me, I'd give it back to them to give to someone else who could make use of it and ask them to ask parent's permission in future as this was quite a disrespectful act (IMO)

I know a few very religious folk and they would NEVER think to do this without a parent's permission first!!

The only type of people that would do this are those that want to force their religion upon the young and impressionable, this comes down to individual folk rather than particular religions though!!
I have a couple of pagan friends who do the same (and get a thorough ticking off from me for it too) but it's just a case of everyone being different.

LazyLineLegilimens Mon 06-Aug-07 17:56:41

<snort> MrsBadger

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 17:57:52

I find that rather offensive actually

HectorsHouse Mon 06-Aug-07 17:58:21

someone having the temerity to give my child an obvious religious symbol I mean

bookwormtailmum Mon 06-Aug-07 18:02:36

I'd have given it back to them and asked them to think about how they distribute symbols of their faith in future, especially to children.

JeremyVile Mon 06-Aug-07 18:05:32

Was there smack in the crucifix?

<just wondering>

edam Mon 06-Aug-07 18:07:38

I'm with you on the astonishment at the cheek of some people but can't help feeling a bit shocked at the idea of leaving a crucifix on the ground. Even though I haven't been to a church service in years. Early conditioning tells...

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 18:09:09

bookworm, I'm not sure what effect you think that'd have.

If they're religious enough to be handing out rosaries they're probably fairly convinced re the whole 'spreading the good news' thing.
It's a central tenet of many people's Christianity that the whole point is to tell other people about it.
I agree this is unfortunate if you never want to hear about other people's religion, (or have your children hear about them either), but it's a bit of an impasse.

edam Mon 06-Aug-07 18:10:32

I think there's an important difference between sharing the good word verbally and handing a crucifix to child while the parent's attention is briefly diverted. Sneaky.

beansprout Mon 06-Aug-07 18:11:10

I have no problem with children hearing about other people's religion, (our CM is a staunch Catholic and ds eats his meals under a big picture of Jesus when he is there!) but I think there is a time and a place, oh and a reasonable expectation that the parents may have a say in that. He is 2yo!!

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 18:12:25

actually you're right Edam but I am trying to be tolerant and appreciate the sentiment...
[grits teeth]

bookwormtailmum Mon 06-Aug-07 18:13:19

Oh I don't mind my dd learning about faiths or anything else come to that, it'd just be way of me letting off steam about it . I'd have thought a leaflet either with it or instead of the crucifix saying who they were and what they were about would be more to the point if they were legit.

filthymindedvixen Mon 06-Aug-07 18:14:53

I'd have been tempted to start writhing to the ground wailing ''it Burns, It BURNS....''

(kidding, kidding...!)

beansprout Mon 06-Aug-07 18:15:54

Seriously, what is the sentiment? Because it comes across as "we think you should believe in this too" which doesn't strike me as very respectful.

bookwormtailmum Mon 06-Aug-07 18:17:32

Maybe they didn't want it either? .

MrsBadger Mon 06-Aug-07 18:18:01

I'd interpret it as 'We have found this to be very important and helpful, maybe you will find it so too'

but I am far too ncie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now