Talk

Advanced search

I have been really stupid, new car

(135 Posts)
OldGrinch Sun 25-Aug-19 11:07:48

Not really an AIBU but need to vent. I am currently on a personal contact hire lease for my car which is coming near the end of contract. The car went in for a service last week and the dealer asked me if I wanted to pop in for a "chat" afterwards. Now I know this was a v bad idea as they only ever want to flog you another new car and I couldn't really afford it. Work had spoken to me about doing some extra hours so possibly more money in future but nothing confirmed. Anyway, I thought I would just go for the chat with car dealer which was utter stupidity in itself. I have ended up signing an order form for a new car for September, I don't want the car anymore, but don't think I can cancel as signed the agreement on dealers premises. Also work have now said the extra hours won't be possible after all sad. Has anybody been in a similar situation and managed to get out of it? I know I've been a massive twerp.

Mamamia456 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:11:58

I thought you were given something like 14 days to change your mind on contracts.

What does the smallprint say?

deste Sun 25-Aug-19 11:12:44

Don’t quote me but I thought you had 14 days grace after signing a contract.

Alsohuman Sun 25-Aug-19 11:12:53

What were your plans for replacing the car when it went back? It’s currently an amazing environment for cutting a good deal as we discovered last week. Were you planning on buying your existing car? If so, how were you planning to finance it?

InterestingView Sun 25-Aug-19 11:14:27

confused just cancel it. Just phone and say statutory rights say I have a cooling off period I want to cancel and hand my current car back
Then if you need a car go and buy a £1000 banger from ebay and crack on.

plunkplunkfizz Sun 25-Aug-19 11:15:29

Distance selling regs allow for a 14 day cooling off period. This cannot in any way be construed as a sale at a distance.

They may, at their own goodwill, release you but they are not obliged to.

TheMobileSiteMadeMeSignup Sun 25-Aug-19 11:18:21

So why did you sign it?! You knew why they wanted to chat. You knew you didn't want a new lease. They didn't physically force you to sign the contract.

Check your terms and conditions and learn how to say no.

TempleCloud Sun 25-Aug-19 11:18:47

The key thing is to act quickly. 1. Read the contract - does to contain any cancellation rights? 2. Write to them immediately sending the letter by registered post stating that your work circumstances have changed and you need to cancel the car. There is no point in them flogging you a car if you can't pay for it. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Agree the 14 day distance selling cancellation does not apply.

Andysbestadventure Sun 25-Aug-19 11:20:34

There is always a cooling off period. Call them and ask them and say you want to cancel straight away as it's no longer financially possible.

Reallybadidea Sun 25-Aug-19 11:22:17

So why did you sign it?! You knew why they wanted to chat. You knew you didn't want a new lease. They didn't physically force you to sign the contract.

Helpful soul aren't you?

OP, I think you're just going to have to throw themselves on their mercy really. I would put something in writing saying that you just can't afford it and would like to cancel your contract at the end of this term. Be really persistent, write to someone more senior if necessary. It's probably better for them in the long run for you to not default.

Alsohuman Sun 25-Aug-19 11:23:10

No cooling off period.

www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/is-there-a-14-day-cooling-off-period-when-buying-a-car

Bezalelle Sun 25-Aug-19 11:27:55

Check your terms and conditions and learn how to say no.

This.

InterestingView Sun 25-Aug-19 11:29:12

Worst case say you felt pressured and put on the spot and you dont want to have to escalate a complaint as mis selling so can they just cancel it. Bit harsh on the salesman but if it gets it cancelled and he doesn't actually get into any trouble then needs must.

Deadsetgo Sun 25-Aug-19 11:31:35

Can’t believe you didn’t say no.

bobstersmum Sun 25-Aug-19 11:35:20

So what are you going to drive when current car lease ends?

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 25-Aug-19 11:48:47

Dh is motor trade, he says just cancel. He says kick off to customer services if they give you grief.

Cars fall out of bed all the time.

DontDribbleOnTheCarpet Sun 25-Aug-19 11:50:04

Phone them, grovel and explain that your work situation has changed and you simply can't pay. They don't have to release you from the contract, but may wish to avoid problems with non-payment later, so you might get lucky.
It will be embarrassing for you, but it's either that or being stuck with a payment you can't afford.

Namechangeforthiscancershit Sun 25-Aug-19 11:52:47

No cooling off period unless there's something in the contract (which is unlikely).

Can you appeal to them morally and practically? If you can't pay it, they will I cut so much money and hassle repossessing it. It's got to be worth a go.

Pardonwhat Sun 25-Aug-19 11:57:48

Ask if there’s a cooling off period. They’ve got to be responsible lenders. You can’t afford it. You don’t have the car yet. Insist.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Sun 25-Aug-19 12:03:13

If you are leasing rather than buying then I think there is a cooling off period.

Drabarni Sun 25-Aug-19 12:08:47

cancel the cheque grin

You should have 14 days cooling period.
I don't understand why you went in the first place if you didn't want a new car confused

Shadow1986 Sun 25-Aug-19 12:13:33

Call them today and say your circumstances have changed and you will no longer be able to go ahead with the new agreement. I’m sure there must be a cooling off period but you need to speak to them sooner rather than later!

BlueJava Sun 25-Aug-19 12:13:34

You have a cooling off period. Cancel the agreement immediately no hard done!

Cohle Sun 25-Aug-19 12:19:21

Check the terms and conditions. Distance selling protections don't apply on the face of it (so no 14 day cooling off period), but if you bought the car on finance a cooling off period may still apply.

Have you actually paid anything?

Lulualla Sun 25-Aug-19 12:22:22

Read your agreement. It will tell you if there is a cooling off period or if you can pay a small fee to get out of it.

Do you normally have trouble saying no? You could say no to the meeting. You couldn't say no to the new car. You should probably get some help for that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »