Talk

Advanced search

Neighbours and the fire pit!

(127 Posts)
Fresta Sat 24-Aug-19 23:28:41

Returned home from an evening out, got out of the car on the front drive to the smell of burning wood like a bonfire. Looked around and no sign of anyone having a bonfire, go round to the back of house and the neighbour has a fire pit burning on the patio- she's gone to bed and left it smoking- the washing on the line stinks, the house stinks, had to close all the windows! It's been 25 degrees all day here and it was warm enough to sit out until well after dark tonight so what is the point of a stupid fire pit? And why would you light one on the first night in weeks that it's been nice enough to sit out! It must have made everyone else's gardens unpleasant to sit in! Luckily I was out sitting in my brothers garden tonight so that bit din't affect us- but if we had been in I'd've been even more livid! I know people like BBqs when it's warm but they only smoke whilst they are being used which is just the time it takes to cook the food- the fire pit thing is still smoking now and it's 11.30pm! Neighbour has form for being a pyromaniac!

GlassSuppers Sat 24-Aug-19 23:32:39

biscuit

Killerqueen2244 Sat 24-Aug-19 23:34:52

Why is your washing out at 11.30pm at night!?!

SamBeckett Sat 24-Aug-19 23:36:34

I'd fling a bucket of water over it if you are sure they are not coming back out

user1473878824 Sat 24-Aug-19 23:37:45

@Killerqueen2244 I mean it’s already been darked on so OP had to rewash it anyway.

Pennyeleanor Sat 24-Aug-19 23:37:49

YANBU! It’s selfish

Fresta Sat 24-Aug-19 23:38:07

Washing was out because we left it drying when we went out earlier this afternoon! It wasn't out at 11.30- I took it in when we returned home at 10pm!

WorraLiberty Sat 24-Aug-19 23:38:58

I think I'd be a tad more worried about having a pyromaniac as a neighbour, than them forgetting to put the fire pit out.

SamBeckett Sat 24-Aug-19 23:39:02

@Killerqueen2244
Op is living wildly and wants it to get dark on grin

gideonsmideon Sat 24-Aug-19 23:42:31

Spiders will have rubbed their willies over your washing (childish) the fire 🔥 pit 🤷‍♀️ they sat out and had a fire, you weren’t even there.

S1naidSucks Sat 24-Aug-19 23:43:10

Hose pipe over the fence and she can clean up the messy, sooty water in the morning. When she complains, tell her that some sparks had floated over the fence and you were afraid they would cause a fire. 😉

Fresta Sat 24-Aug-19 23:44:26

Every bonfire night she has a bonfire so big that it is still burning 24 hours later and is at least 10 feet in diameter. This is in a suburban back garden with houses all around! I am always amazed she doesn't scorch the fences around the garden.

S1naidSucks Sat 24-Aug-19 23:46:06

check the bylaws in your area. She may be breaking the rules.

LaBelleSauvage Sat 24-Aug-19 23:46:12

YABU and precious

mumwon Sat 24-Aug-19 23:47:15

would it worth while having a chat to fire service - tell them your concerns they might go & have a (educational) chat???

Fresta Sat 24-Aug-19 23:49:16

The hose pipe sounds a good idea!

LilacTreeShades Sat 24-Aug-19 23:49:40

Not sure if we are in the same area, but we have had to close our bedroom windows tonight, as the smell of smoke from outside is overpowering.

timshelthechoice Sun 25-Aug-19 00:07:08

Gawd, who gives a bloody fuck about this kind of thing? It's not every single day. Leave your wash out tomorrow and the smell will be gone.

darkcloudsandsunnyskies Sun 25-Aug-19 00:11:10

It’s the main cause of global warming.

gideonsmideon Sun 25-Aug-19 00:15:05

I’m sure the neighbours fire pit is not the main cause of global warming...

Nextphonewontbesamsung Sun 25-Aug-19 00:20:38

I can't stand the smell of any sort of bonfire unless it's dusk on a damp and gloomy November day, so YANBU op. It is selfish fuckery, that's what it is.

INeedNewShoes Sun 25-Aug-19 00:22:18

Our next door neighbours chose this evening to light an enormous bonfire. I don't understand the choice of today either in this weather. Gladly the wind was blowing the smoke away from our house.

CharlesChickens Sun 25-Aug-19 00:24:05

I hate this, Smoke makes me really wheezy. Bonfires are so anti-social. The particulates in wood smoke are terrible for lungs, they can cause lung damage and cancer.
One small well managed bonfire, put out promptly, and used with an eye on wind direction is fine occasionally, but leaving them to seep smoke into all the houses around is so selfish.

Marge2019 Sun 25-Aug-19 00:43:38

Theres a bonfire near be to can still smell it. Dont really care to be honest. Doing it in the late evening is probably more thoughtful than doing it early evening.dont see that it matters if its only now and then.

Lolwhat Sun 25-Aug-19 00:47:16

I get being concerned about her leaving it smoking but to moan about the smoke because you might of sat out in your garden is a bit ridiculous. She should get to enjoy her garden just as much as you do, it’s also unreasonable to get upset at your washing smelling because you were the one that left it out until 10pm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »