Talk

Advanced search

AM I BEING UNREASONABLE TO ASK WHY WE CAN,T MAKE OUR

(105 Posts)
portocristo Fri 23-Aug-19 12:19:59

OWN INSULIN THE UK AND NOT HAVE TO GET IT FROM GERMANY ETC?

WeShouldOpenABar Fri 23-Aug-19 12:20:38

WHY ARE WE SHOUTING

ChardonnaysPrettySister Fri 23-Aug-19 12:20:42

Go away.

MyCatHatesEverybody Fri 23-Aug-19 12:21:18

Your caps lock is stuck.

HauntedPinecone Fri 23-Aug-19 12:22:09

I KNO, ITS DISCUSTIN

BillywilliamV Fri 23-Aug-19 12:22:50

We probably do make it here but the nature of global trade is such that we also get it from elsewhere, which was fine until we decided that Brexit would be a good idea.

TheRealShatParp Fri 23-Aug-19 12:23:03

IM RAGING FOR YOU!!

Throckmorton Fri 23-Aug-19 12:23:54

For the same reason we don't make our own in [any town of your choice] - because we didn't bloody need to until evil bastard politicians convinced people to shoot their own country in the foot!

DappledThings Fri 23-Aug-19 12:24:12

FUMMIN

Drpeppered Fri 23-Aug-19 12:25:33

We could but no immediately as we don’t currently have the infrastructure.

Factories can’t just pop up over night.

SciFiRules Fri 23-Aug-19 12:28:11

Why would we have lots of small expensive manufacturing sites? The whole point of supply changes is to improve efficiency and safety. It's just another "benefit" of Brexit that we'll end up with insulin as expensive and variable as the USA.

MinisterforCheekyFuckery Fri 23-Aug-19 12:29:28

Well, we may have no choice from now on. But the point is that we didn't need to, getting it from Germany or wherever wasn't an issue until the enormous clusterfuck that is Brexit. I don't know much about the manufacture and sale of pharmaceuticals but I don't imagine it's something you can set up overnight just like that.

LambBeefandHedgehog Fri 23-Aug-19 12:29:32

Why are you shouting?

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Fri 23-Aug-19 12:30:17

Because three global pharmaceutical companies make all of the UK's insulin and none of them are based in the UK.

If you want 'us' to make it you need to persuade a pharmaceutical company based in the UK to produce insulin. They might. They might not. That's how global trade works hun.

LipstickTaserrr Fri 23-Aug-19 12:30:40

I read this as insults and then went off to Google German swear words blush

Spinnaret Fri 23-Aug-19 12:32:38

Because it isn't that easy to just build a full manufacturing site like that. When a product is authorised by the regulatory agencies, it specifies exactly where a product is allowed to be made, including the manufacturing site, not just the country. It would require every single company which produces an insulin product to build a manufacturing site, and go through all the very expensive steps to get a transfer of manufacturing site authorised. For what would then be a very small market relative to the EU. The economics of it would not stack up.

Now stop shouting, sit down and listen to the grown ups.

Ravenblack Fri 23-Aug-19 12:32:57

I HONESTLY DON'T KNOW!

FamilyOfAliens Fri 23-Aug-19 12:32:58

I guess when there are no answers to why Brexit was ever a good idea, shouting is all the Leavers have got left.

SciFiRules Fri 23-Aug-19 12:34:02

*supply chains

Bravelurker Fri 23-Aug-19 12:46:34

Why can't we just all grow our own food, I suppose, if we're going to go down that route.. I can't as I don't have a garden or nearby allotment.

MrsKittyFane1 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:49:41

Google tells me this...
'Insulin in the UK comes from three main pharmaceutical manufacturers, Lilly, Sanofi and Novo Nordisk. ... They do manufacture some drugs in the UK, but insulin is not produced in the UK by them. A fourth provider, Wockhardt, manufacture animal insulin and have a plant in Wrexham.'

darkcloudsandsunnyskies Fri 23-Aug-19 12:50:28

Stop shouting.

Post it on the brexit board.

Travis1 Fri 23-Aug-19 12:51:07

Because quite clearly the Pharmaceutical companies do not think it is cost effective.

EvadeHer Fri 23-Aug-19 12:51:42

Snakes everywhere hun 🐍 🐍 🐍

GummyGoddess Fri 23-Aug-19 12:52:06

It's cheaper and more efficient to export from a central manufacturing plant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »