Talk

Advanced search

To think if you're skint, it affects your children's outcomes in life

(135 Posts)
jellycatspyjamas Thu 22-Aug-19 15:43:00

Of course being skint impacts your child’s outcomes. Yes there are free activities, parks etc but financial hardship contributes significantly to social exclusion whereby things that people take for granted simply can’t happen.

Financial hardship also means your more likely to live in an area with fewer amenities, your less likely to access discounts on goods and services, more likely to pay over the odds for any credit you do get meaning an even further reduction in ready cash. It’s shit for everyone concerned. I’m not at all saying you can’t be happy, but it does impact the opportunities available to you and your children.

Andysbestadventure Thu 22-Aug-19 15:40:27

How old are you, how old are your kids, where is their father?

racetogether Thu 22-Aug-19 15:39:57

I work pt and dh ft- both on low paid jobs. I guess that's the reality of living life on low wages.

We live in a pretty crap northern town so theres not much to do here and the kids have been so many times to the things here that they've become bored. We live 30mins from a decent city and if it wasn't for that I don't know what on earth I could do!

AiryFairyMum Thu 22-Aug-19 15:39:56

If it helps, I grew up like that, and it made me really good with money! I was lucky and I had lots of love at home and a really creative mum so we made something out of nothing. I also worked really hard at school because I was determined to have more in life one day. Now I do, and I am grateful every day for it. A poor childhood gave me a comfortable adulthood, if you look at things that way.

Grasspigeons Thu 22-Aug-19 15:38:52

Do your children qualify for pupil premium funding at school (possibly not as lost of prople fall just outside) if they do - make sure you claim it and speak to the school about how its used to help your children.
In terms of clubs - brownie/scouts is normally cheap and has a good range of stuff to get involved with. A lot of churches run good youth groups. Also ive found a few brass bands do free music tution. All worth looking at.
It must be frustrating if they enjoy football as the clubs are pricey. Sat morning clubs are often a bit cheaper than the afterschool ones esp if you can volunteer to help.
Also focus on what you are providing, presumably love warmth and food and a home even if small is a home.
My only othet suggestion would be are your children young carers if your mental health is bad? Some support is available for young carers sometimes.

Frequency Thu 22-Aug-19 15:37:26

YANBU.

Being skint is shit, especially when you look around and see how much your children's peers have than they do but I think the depression is playing a bigger part than the financial situation.

I understand who easy it is to slip into that black hole of despair. Trust me, I've done it myself and it is hard to claw your way out and make changes but until you do nothing will change.

As pointed out bikes can be picked up for free, walks in the park are free, many train and bus services run cheap tickets over summer. You can take a packed lunch to the nearest beach. Your finances are not stopping your kids having days out, it is limiting them but it's not stopping them, your depression is.

HeyMonkey Thu 22-Aug-19 15:35:31

Do you have a partner and both work?

Have you checked that you are receiving all financial assistance you are entitled to?

If you are not already can you add yourself to the list for council/HA housing?

Bookworm4 Thu 22-Aug-19 15:30:42

Firstly bikes can be found free, freecycle etc
Do you definitely need a car? As that’s expensive.

OneRingToRuleThemAll Thu 22-Aug-19 15:29:08

Is there no give in your income at all? Are you heavily in debt and payments meaning no money left over? It's worth talking to a debt charity if that's the case.

Is there not free local things you can do? I'm similar in terms of accommodation - flat with no garden, but we go on walks, to the park, woods etc. It does seem like a restrictive childhood if your children can't do anything at all.

racetogether Thu 22-Aug-19 15:17:24

We have always been skint. We don't particularly have a good quality of life- very small house, needs alot of work, no Garden, . My kids have never been away on a holiday, they don't have bikes- we can't afford it. We can't afford trips out even it it's free as we need take into account cost of petrol so they are few and far between. Things like going to zoos etc is out of the question. They've been wanting to join a football club for several years but at £40/m there's no chance.

I feel sad for my kids. They don't have the same opportunities as I would have liked to have given them. I have mental health issues and suffer from depression on and off and this also I find affects the way I parent.

I feel I'm really letting my kids down.

Ok the other hand, their friends holiday regular ansn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »