Talk

Advanced search

Aibu children don’t want to go anywhere

(52 Posts)
PumpkinP Thu 22-Aug-19 14:32:07

Does anyone else’s children not want to do anything ever?! I’m always reading on MN that people take their children out every day but mine don’t want to go out. They are 8,7 and 5 (also have a 2 year old but she doesn’t mind) I bought a lot of picnic food to go to the park with them today but none of them want to go. We’ve hardly done anything during the holiday. Aibu to wonder if any one else’s children are like this?

Steerpike902 Thu 22-Aug-19 20:43:42

I think it's okay if they're not just watching TV or playing games all day long. But have you tried asking them what they'd like to do in advanced? We started doing family meetings once every couple of weeks just after dinner and it's really helped them communicate with us.

RoseMartha Thu 22-Aug-19 19:29:36

Glad you went out and they enjoyed it . Well done

PumpkinP Thu 22-Aug-19 19:08:29

Well we went in the end and have only just got back, typical they liked it in the end and was moaning when we had to come home! CharityConundrum I think it’s true what you said about the transition and actually being bothered to get ready and go out.

CharityConundrum Thu 22-Aug-19 18:13:43

Mine hate transitions - they want to go out and do fun stuff, but find the process of getting ready exhaustingly dull and end up complaining! It's not too bad if we're not in any hurry, but if we are just getting up, having breakfast and going out you'd think they were being tortured to hear them complain about the idea of both finding AND putting on their shoes!

Stapelberg Thu 22-Aug-19 18:10:50

Definitely agree w a precious poster, you're the parent! Tell them to get shoes on, and get in the car (or on their bikes or scooters, even better!)

1forAll74 Thu 22-Aug-19 17:05:35

It's strange isn't it, and you have probably heard all this before, but in the oldie days,kids played out all day in the school holidays,, in the streets,in the woods and fields and in my case,down by the canal, and watching trains go by etc..

I know things have moved on now, and screens and gadgets are a big thing, but also,it's maybe the safety factor of children going out that is a real problem for some parents and children.

drowningincustard Thu 22-Aug-19 16:58:32

mine can be like this - we allow relax at home days just pottering but will enforce days out as well so they get a good mix of activities...

pipnchops Thu 22-Aug-19 16:56:47

Mine are way younger, 2 and 4, but definitely enjoy days at home the most. They love playing together and with me, they love the garden which is large and lots for them to do like sand pit, trampoline, swing etc. They have a bit of screen time when I need to get on with something. They are comfortable in their home surroundings and I actually like this about them and am glad they don't need constant day trips and stimulation as that would be exhausting and expensive. However for my own sanity as a SAHM I need to get out of the house sometimes and I don't give them the choice. They are often reluctant and don't want to stay out for long, it's hard work but I'd go crazy at home all the time.

DisgruntledGuineaPig Thu 22-Aug-19 16:55:07

I wouldn't give them a choice, but also at this stage of the holidays, going to the park and playing with your siblings again does seem boring. I've learned from previous years, this week and next week needs to be full of playdates. Even if it's meeting at the same park, it's with a friend for each.

It's also worth holding back some different places /things to do for this point in the holidays.

noeyedeer Thu 22-Aug-19 16:35:02

My eldest (8) can be like this. He doesn't want to go out, but enjoys it once he's doing something and often then doesn't want to come home. He doesn't often get the choice of going out or not, and he definitely likes his screen time. But, he ADHD and works so hard to "behave" in school that by the time the holidays roll around he's knackered. Sometimes he just needs time to unwind.

SolsticeBabyMaybe Thu 22-Aug-19 16:23:49

YES! If 6 yo had her way we would have spent the entire holiday in the living room, her on her tablet. I'm not averse to letting her relax, but too much sitting about definitely makes her stroppy! We've had to tempt her into activities as she needs to burn of energy for all of our sakes!

ElleDubloo Thu 22-Aug-19 16:19:28

My kids are quite homely. Sometimes they just want to stay at home, potter about with their tea sets and draw. I think it’s fine. (They don’t get screens or TV)

FrenchJunebug Thu 22-Aug-19 16:18:48

My son is 8 and I don't give him the choice whether he wants to do things or not, otherwise he will be forever in front of Netflix. Why do you give your kids so much power on what they can and cannot do?

XXcstatic Thu 22-Aug-19 16:16:15

Turn the telly off. But, as long as they are active, I can't see that it matters whether they are chasing a ball at home or in the park. I don't think most 7 and 8 year olds are bothered about the park, if they are lucky enough to have enough space at home for ball games.

ooooohbetty Thu 22-Aug-19 16:14:15

Mine were like this sometimes. I always took them out on trips a few times a week. The other days they played outside in street with friends, played inside or we went to the cinema. I'd drive quite far to country parks or coastal walks. The drive filled up some of the time. Sometimes I took them to museums or galleries. They did complain sometimes but they had no choice, that's what we did. This went on until they were about 14.

BrunettesDoItBetter Thu 22-Aug-19 16:07:20

I dont drive so dont have access to a car in the week.I try and get ds 5 as much as possible to break up the day,sometimes we go out for a few hours with my parents or we take the dog for a long walk whether he wants to or not.Yesterday we walked 2 miles,he was whinging the whole time but I just distracted him as much as I could.Im the parent and if i want to go out then we go out! gin

threecatsownme Thu 22-Aug-19 16:03:14

Mine are the same but it's only because they want to be playing out with their friends on bikes/scooter etc

We took them to a local (ish) abbey with beautiful grounds etc for a picnic and they both couldn't wait to get home to play out 🙄.

They only have iPad/switch etc after tea before baths for an hour or so then reading before bed.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 22-Aug-19 15:59:22

Start by turning off the TV.

If they're doing a good deal of active-type play (playing catch, kicking a ball around the garden, playing chase or tag, playing in the sprinklers) then I think 'getting out' isn't such a big deal. It's being active that's important, not where they're being active. But I'm not talking 10 minutes here and there (although that's better than nothing). I mean that they're out doing sustained activity for 30-60 or more minutes at a stretch at least once a day.

DS1 was always wanting to get out & about, DS2 was much more my 'stay at home'. We had a large outdoor pedestrian mall (US) nearby that also had a small play area that was a good compromise. Fresh air and both of them enjoyed the window shopping.

Areyoufree Thu 22-Aug-19 15:50:28

Yup, I've got one of those too. My five year old hates to leave the house, most of the time. And when we get to the park, he often wants to go home again. Not screens either - I can ban all technology, and he will happily play for hours on his own, with lego or super-hero figures. Just prefers to be inside!

MsTSwift Thu 22-Aug-19 15:47:04

Mine were like this. All these jolly mothers saying how they had to get their kids out like dogs etc mine just weren’t like that. They preferred playing at home or in the garden / doing craft / reading. No screens so wasn’t that.

Picklypickles Thu 22-Aug-19 15:42:41

I have a 7 and a 5yr old, the 5yr old is currently making life very difficult due to his terror at all living creatures. He's been stung by wasps twice this year and its left him traumatized, I've just taken him to my mums house and he was freaking out about flies and wanting to come back home immediately. I do drag him out but he often makes things really difficult, he's scared of dogs and ponies and pretty much anything that breathes. My 7yr old loves getting out and about as often as possible and I would rather have them out using up their energy as much as possible but really struggling with it this summer!

CassianAndor Thu 22-Aug-19 15:36:46

I'd turn the TV off for a start.

But they sound like they enjoy each others company so an hour in the park is fine.

Toneitdown Thu 22-Aug-19 15:34:42

Maybe it’s because it’s the summer holidays then maybe they’ve had enough

Could be this. I remember travelling the world with DH when we were younger. It was spectacular and I have so many good memories of the trip. However by the time we'd gotten into month 6 I was a bit fed up and stopped appreciating all the genuinely amazing things we were seeing. I was just burnt out and wanted to laze around the house in my PJs watching Netflix and playing with cat. Sounds spoilt, I know, but I think some people do have an emotional limit on the amount of stuff they can take in over a certain period of time. We need to recharge our batteries at home.

Daylily34 Thu 22-Aug-19 15:19:24

Mine doesn’t want to go out today - football in the garden , board games and making cookies .. oh and a small amount of screen time

Other days this week we’ve been out - obviously tired this morning so I didn’t push it

Pinkblueberry Thu 22-Aug-19 15:16:27

It is a bit strange. A bouncy ball and chasing each other indoors where there isn’t really space to run wouldn’t keep my DCs occupied for long - and would drive me mental. If they’re that easily entertained surely a trip to the park with a football would be wildly exciting? If not, I have no advice. You have stumped me OP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »