Talk

Advanced search

To think the school holidays should just be August ?

(413 Posts)
yellowbeard Tue 20-Aug-19 16:15:25

It's too long. I think a break in routine does kids good, but it's too much all at once. I think in Italy August is considered Holiday month ( not sure about the school holiday length ) but I know a lot of businesses close down for August there. Aibu ?

massistar Tue 20-Aug-19 16:16:53

Kids are off school in Italy from June through till beginning of September! Now that's long!

I think we've got it just about right in this country. The longer break is good.

Sirzy Tue 20-Aug-19 16:17:39

Compared to most countries ours is short.

6 weeks is about right I think

roseapothecary Tue 20-Aug-19 16:18:17

YABU. The summer holidays in this country are already a lot shorter than most.

Washpot Tue 20-Aug-19 16:18:28

6 weeks is a good length of time. Time to really wind down. Mine still isn’t ready to go back.

Ohyesiam Tue 20-Aug-19 16:18:33

Kids need the break.

JacquesHammer Tue 20-Aug-19 16:18:36

No thank you!

DD has seven weeks this time, she used to have 8 and we love the time we get together! I’ve really noticed the one week less!

whattodowith Tue 20-Aug-19 16:19:25

Yes I have always said this. I am a teacher and even I think six weeks is too long. The four weeks of August is sufficient imo.

lazylinguist Tue 20-Aug-19 16:19:28

YABU. Kids need a long break, teachers need a long break. In lots of countries they have longer.

AbbyHammond Tue 20-Aug-19 16:20:23

We only had August this year. First day off was Friday 26th July.

Venger Tue 20-Aug-19 16:20:30

I think the kids do need a nice long break in summer to recharge after the school year but that four weeks is enough then the other two weeks could be used elsewhere in the year. I also think the Easter holidays should just be a long weekend for the two bank holidays and that those two weeks could be used elsewhere too.

It would never happen but my ideal would be three weeks at Christmas, two weeks for each of the three half term holidays, then four weeks for the summer.

nutbrownhare15 Tue 20-Aug-19 16:21:45

Undecided. Why do you think it's too much OP? I'd potentially be up for slightly shorter summer to make longer Xmas and Easter breaks.

Flerkin Tue 20-Aug-19 16:22:05

Nope. Its good.

My kids broke up around 20th July and go back at beginning of september

Personally, I would be happy if they were longer. Definitely not shorter

picklejimmy Tue 20-Aug-19 16:22:38

I'm a teacher and 6 weeks is perfect I think.
Good amount of time to prepare for the new year and rest. Also it's quite nice getting lots of whole days with my dc.

BikeRunSki Tue 20-Aug-19 16:23:06

About this time of year I always think that the summer holidays should be about 5 weeks long, and that there should be a few more days at Christmas and Easter.

Saucery Tue 20-Aug-19 16:23:11

I’d prefer 5 weeks summer and an extra week at Christmas (before, not after).

BanginChoons Tue 20-Aug-19 16:27:21

My children's school has 5 weeks in Summer and 2 weeks in October.

pontiouspilates Tue 20-Aug-19 16:30:13

I'd like 4 weeks summer and then 2 weeks in May and October half terms. But love having holidays long enough to get out of routine.

Titsywoo Tue 20-Aug-19 16:32:30

I think 6 weeks is perfect. I suppose it depends how much you enjoy the holidays as to whether you'd prefer it longer or shorter. I work part-time so for me the holidays means more lie-ins, days out and a more relaxed life than normal so I love it.

Gottoloveabagel Tue 20-Aug-19 16:32:40

Holidays are sneakily getting shorter, this year mine don't have 6 weeks and I only get 5 weeks and 2 days! The outrage wink

I miss not having a full 6 weeks, we have so much to do and fit in. Mine have never had an issue getting back into routine and love the full break and proper family time that we just don't get during term time.

But then I've not had to find childcare, kids have come into school with me when I've been at work and love helping out!

Branleuse Tue 20-Aug-19 16:34:10

no way. I think they need to be longer. I think July and august

bumblingbovine49 Tue 20-Aug-19 16:35:47

Italian children are off school from around 12 June to around 7 Sept so around 13 weeks - Not really a good comparison

DS has 5 week's 22July to 3 Sept which is fine for us . No way is it too long.

LoonyLunaLoo Tue 20-Aug-19 16:39:15

Hell no! August is a miserable moth, all it does it rain! I think we should have the Scottish holidays when it’s actually nice weather. I’m sure having audits off is lovely in Italy where it’s hot but not here. 6 weeks is perfect but we only have 5 weeks and 3 days here 🙁.

thesockgap Tue 20-Aug-19 16:40:30

I'd prefer them to be longer myself, not shorter! I can't believe we are over 4 weeks in already, I seem to have blinked and we are here! On the whole I think the balance in England is pretty good, 2 weeks is definitely long enough for Christmas holidays when it is dark, cold and you can't get out and do much. 2 weeks at Easter is just about right to recharge batteries, and a week at each half term for similar reasons.
If the "rule" is that they have to have no more than 13 weeks off, then I think the current split is about right. But I'd like longer summer holidays, 8 weeks would be lovely for them to have a real rest and do everything we'd like to do.

BarbariansMum Tue 20-Aug-19 16:42:44

I think they're too short, if anything. And the thought of the whole country try to holiday over the course of 4 weeks bloody awful. Everything would be yet more busy a d prices even higher. I'd prefer July and August (8 weeks). Or, as a compromise, 2 weeks end of May/June, 6 weeks in the summer a d 3 weeks at Christmas.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »