Talk

Advanced search

I moved out of my property two weeks ago and no one can get hold of the LL to get my deposit back.

(53 Posts)
OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:01:58

She will be in contact with the agency eventually because they got a new tenant in.

In the mean time the agency have emailed twice, sent texts and tried to call her phone several times.
I desperately need my deposit back. Even when she finally does sign it back, it takes the agency 5 days to release it (why?!)
So it's going to be at least 3 weeks by the time I get it and that's if she gets back to the agency today.
Which she hasn't so far.

Apparently she doesn't have a legal time limit. I need to start a dispute.

What the hell?

Travis1 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:04:39

Which protection scheme is it in?

Nowisthemonthofmaying Tue 20-Aug-19 13:05:21

Do you have the details for the deposit scheme?

ChicCroissant Tue 20-Aug-19 13:06:16

If you have the details for the deposit scheme (and you should have received a letter with them on when your tenancy started) contact the scheme directly.

mummmy2017 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:07:29

She could be abroad on holiday.

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:07:38

Ok I will call the agency now and ask

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:08:32

Yes apparently she is in Italy. But during this time she has been in contact with the people decorating the place but ignoring all requests about the deposit.

ChicCroissant Tue 20-Aug-19 13:11:38

hmm So you do know where she is and the agency have been in contact with her, which is not what you said originally hmm

She will probably check the place herself when she is home and return the deposit then.

NoSquirrels Tue 20-Aug-19 13:13:59

Flag it to the deposit protection scheme - I think there IS a time limit!

NoSquirrels Tue 20-Aug-19 13:16:23

So what if she’s abroad on holiday, though? She’s a LL, she knows her tenant is moving out and on what date and she knows she has a responsibility to get the deposit process moving ASAP. It’s nit some last minute unexpected issue that’s occurred whilst she goes away. She should have sorted it before she left.

[Am an ex LL]

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:16:24

No the agency havent been in contact with her.

The LL has been in contact with the people decorating so she has a phone and or email but she is ignoring everything from the agency asking about the deposit.

I've just found out that she is now in the Uk.

And still not answered any phone calls or messages about the deposit.

I guess she has no idea what it feels like to be broke.

AintNobodyHereButUsChickens Tue 20-Aug-19 13:17:59

What protection scheme is it in? Could you go through them?

MulticolourMophead Tue 20-Aug-19 13:18:32

There is a time limit of 10 days from when landlord and tenant agree how much is returned.

More info here

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:19:26

I didn't ask them what protection scheme in the end. I called he said she was back in the UK and has to collect keys from the office this afternoon.

If she hasn't done something by tomorrow then she is really really taking the piss and I will contact them again about the deposit scheme.

So damn annoying.

And why would it take 5 days to release the money once the LL gives the go-ahead?

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:20:55

They mentioned the 10 day thing and they said I need to start a dispute. They also said that would be pointless because she will probably be in contact before that is even gone through.

SayOohLaLa Tue 20-Aug-19 13:21:40

£5 says the money isn't in an insurance scheme, it's in her bank somewhere. The agency should have known which scheme it was in and have had permission to give you the details.

NoSquirrels Tue 20-Aug-19 13:23:48

You should have details of the deposit scheme from when you signed your tenancy agreement. Check your paperwork.

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:24:12

No I didn't ask in the end that's my fault. I was placated by the fact that he said she was back in the UK.

I should have asked anyway.

Mustbetimeforachange Tue 20-Aug-19 13:24:48

Yes I think you should have been registered with a deposit protection scheme. DD had a log in for hers & went directly to them to get the deposit back. The deposit protection people hold the money, not the landlord.

NoSquirrels Tue 20-Aug-19 13:25:32

But don’t you have any paperwork yourself?

If you are moving to a new rental, please make sure you get all the necessary paperwork up front.

TequilaMockingbird0 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:25:31

If you don't have details of what scheme the deposit went into I think you may be chalking this up to experience and learning that from now on you need to make sure your money is protected and you have the relevant paperwork to support it.

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:25:57

My paper work is in storage unfortunately. That's the first place I would have tried otherwise. We are in a stop-gap house while we purchase a property. Which is all going to shit at the moment as well.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Tue 20-Aug-19 13:28:40

You need the scheme info. If you record a dispute they will contact her and tell her your deposit will be automatically returned if she doesn't respond. You'll either start that process faster or force her into responding.

OoohOnly90CaloriesIllhave10 Tue 20-Aug-19 13:30:16

Ok, I'm trying to call the agency again now but they aren't picking up.
Will keep trying.

DogWorried Tue 20-Aug-19 13:30:56

If she hasn't protected your deposit in a scheme or given you appropriate details of which scheme within 30 days of protecting the deposit, then you can sue for up to 3x deposit amount in compension.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »