Talk

Advanced search

When did it become a thing

(143 Posts)
SilverySurfer Mon 19-Aug-19 16:02:25

That people started saying 'me/myself, DH and DCs'? The correct term is DH, DCs and I. As an example, me/myself, DH and DCs went to London. I went to London is correct, me/myself went to London is obviously wrong.

flouncyfanny Mon 19-Aug-19 16:03:38

Dunno when it began, but I really only see it here.

GeorgieTheGorgeousGoat Mon 19-Aug-19 16:04:34

Sometimes it’s me....

BobbinThreadbare123 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:04:48

It's everywhere, it's infuriating and it's done by people who think it makes them sound more intelligent.
Bloody reflexive pronoun abuse! I have ASD so I spend a significant amount of time wasting brain processing power 'undoing' this shit in my head. "myself went to the shops" arrrrrrgggghhhh!

S1naidSucks Mon 19-Aug-19 16:05:16

I agree OP and if I had of heard someone say that I would have irritated. 😉

Nanny0gg Mon 19-Aug-19 16:06:07

Dunno but it can end now!

Drives me insane!

bluegirlgreen Mon 19-Aug-19 16:06:30

Who gives a shit? Seriously! confused

You need to get out more! wink

GruciusMalfoy Mon 19-Aug-19 16:07:00

It's been a "thing" for ages. It grates a bit, but not much more than a lot of other mistakes I pick up on.

S1naidSucks Mon 19-Aug-19 16:08:20

Who gives a shit? Seriously! confused

You need to get out more! wink

Don’t you mean?

Yourself needs to get out more! 😁

SMaCM Mon 19-Aug-19 16:09:07

It's been a thing since I was a child. My father used to rage about it all the time.

Successionmoney Mon 19-Aug-19 16:09:20

It irritates me when people say, for example, 'are you coming shopping with Scott and I?'

It's 'are you coming shopping with Scott and me?'!

GruciusMalfoy Mon 19-Aug-19 16:11:30

Lynda Snell in The Archers recently made an "and I" error. I remember thinking she's the definition of an "and I-er".

familycourtq Mon 19-Aug-19 16:11:49

Who gives a shit? Seriously!
You need to get out more!
So expressing an opinion on this is consigned to that lamentable "get a life/get out more" bucket - and yet, apparently, commenting to this effect isn't?

I think it's @bluegirlgreen who actually needs to get out more.

iklboo Mon 19-Aug-19 16:13:23

* The correct term is DH, DCs and I.*

Not always. If you're asked 'who is coming to the party' you'd say 'me, DH & DS'.

Myself / yourself can go and bugger itself though grin

TheBouquets Mon 19-Aug-19 16:13:27

I noticed that people will now say "phone myself" instead of saying e.g. "phone me if you need further information". It is very poor grammar.

There is a problem with of and have. I should of gone to the shops earlier. People on MN seem to have the most problem with this. I have a system that will check these things. I imagine plenty MNers are far better than me on computer literacy so that might be an idea for all.

It must be confusing for foreign visitors

AllieDidNotDeserveBea Mon 19-Aug-19 16:13:56

I know the correct way but it's more natural for me to use "me" - "Me and DP are going to the cinema" etc.

AllieDidNotDeserveBea Mon 19-Aug-19 16:16:35

Not always. If you're asked 'who is coming to the party' you'd say 'me, DH & DS'.

True, but then it doesn't make sense really does it? DH is coming to the party, DS is coming to the party, and me is coming to the party.
Even though I don't use it 'DH, DS, and I' makes sense because it means DH is coming, DS is coming, and I am coming.

ishouldbedoingsomework Mon 19-Aug-19 16:17:04

Grucius grin
I think of Boycie from Only Fools and Horses.
'Myself and Marlene...'
Not sure if he ever did say it, just seems to suit the character.

PuffHuffle5 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:17:31

That people started saying 'me/myself, DH and DCs'? The correct term is DH, DCs and I.

I used think ‘and I’ was always correct but I think sometimes, for some grammatical reasons it is ‘me and...’ or ‘and me...’? I have no idea what the rules are. If I’m talking out loud, in casual situations I would say ‘me and...’ if I was writing some kind of formal email I would say ‘and I’.

Passthecherrycoke Mon 19-Aug-19 16:17:39

Me and DH is fine

BrigitsBigKnickers Mon 19-Aug-19 16:19:03

Actually it annoys me more when people insist it's "I" when it should actually be "me."

"Sarah and I went to the shops" is right.
"The teacher asked Sarah and I to tidy up" is wrong.

Take out the other person- if it makes sense then it is correct.

If you and the other person are the object of the sentence then it is "I."
If you and the other person are the object in the sentence then it is "me."

"I went to the shops." Yup

"The teacher asked I to tidy up." Nope

We had a grammar workshop on an inset day once and even the person leading the training got this one wrong. 🙄

iklboo Mon 19-Aug-19 16:20:37

But you wouldn't split the sentence up into singular person responses normally. It's vernacular rather than incorrect use.

Who is going on holiday? Me, John and Sarah'. You would never say 'I am, Sarah is and John is'. It's too clunky.

ishouldbedoingsomework Mon 19-Aug-19 16:20:59

Puff
Take out the 'and whoever'
If you just use I or me, then it makes it easy.
So 'I am going to the shop'- or 'DH and I are going to the shop'
'He gave me a cake' or 'He gave me and DH a cake'

ishouldbedoingsomework Mon 19-Aug-19 16:22:09

Brigits- Yes!

Needanewname2 Mon 19-Aug-19 16:22:55

I am regularly guilty of reflexive pronoun abuse. I have no idea why, I suspect that it’s because I hear and read it so often that it has stopped looking wrong.

I also have a suspicion that in another 100 years using “myself” as the subject only of a verb instead of I will be relatively well accepted, in the same way that using you instead of thou and thee is today.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »