Talk

Advanced search

UK lost measles free status

(895 Posts)
Stressedout10 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:26:10

So due to all the anti Vaxers the WHO have stripped us of our measles free status.
What next ?

Herocomplex Mon 19-Aug-19 08:26:59

I’m so furious and disappointed. It’s ridiculous.

WhenYouCantRunYouCrawl Mon 19-Aug-19 08:27:09

Anti vaxxers are a plague on society.

WhereTheFuckIsMyFuckingCoat Mon 19-Aug-19 08:28:28

Gah! angry Don't they realise the damage they're doing??

Stressedout10 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:31:26

The government is starting a new campaign to increase uptake, when they should just make it mandatory for entrance to school/nursery

TheTrollFairy Mon 19-Aug-19 08:33:03

It’s ok, Boris our trustworthy PM is on the case 🙄

NailsNeedDoing Mon 19-Aug-19 08:35:17

I haven't heard about this, but I'd be interested to know if the WHO made that decision because too many people have had measles, or if too many people are unvaccinated.

I only ask that because my dc are recorded by the NHS as unvaccinated because they received single vaccines, and the NHS point blank refuses to change that despite me giving them proof that they are both vaccinated and immune (they had the blood test). It has always irritated me that they contribute to the statistics of unimmunised children, despite being fully immunised.

Stressedout10 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:35:52

@TheTrollFairy
🤣

Peregrina Mon 19-Aug-19 08:37:31

The government is starting a new campaign to increase uptake, when they should just make it mandatory for entrance to school/nursery.

This is not an entirely sound policy because the real anti-vaxers, would just switch to home schooling.

Stressedout10 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:37:54

@NailsNeedDoing
According to the BBC it's due to the number and size of outbreaks here this year

suckerforbrowneyes Mon 19-Aug-19 08:41:22

Makes me so angry.

A preventable illness and these crack pots would rather see their children catch it.

Fuck wits.

OtraCosaMariposa Mon 19-Aug-19 08:41:35

Don't they realise the damage they're doing??

They would argue that we're all sheeple who are blindly following the government and "big pharma" and ding untold damage to our children by injecting them with poison.

There's no arguing with crazy.

NailsNeedDoing Mon 19-Aug-19 08:43:39

Thank you for answering that.

I totally understand the anger directed at anti vaxxers, but I do wonder if this could have been avoided if the government hadn't made it so difficult and expensive to have single vaccines back when parents still had valid reason to be concerned about the MMR.

OpenYourEyes Mon 19-Aug-19 08:44:02

It's so frustrating. I know a women who didn't vaccinate due to the (disproved) Autism risk. Her child has Autism anyway but she still hasn't vaccinate the second child.

Nonnymum Mon 19-Aug-19 08:46:07

People who refuse to vaccinate their children are so selfish. They put at risk tiny babies, who are too young to be vaccinated, and those who can't be vaccinated for genuine medical reasons

Fucket Mon 19-Aug-19 08:48:24

Antivaxxers May switch to homeschooling but at least they won’t be mixing with kids who can’t be vaccinated and rely on herd immunity. Also I think it’s fair to say if you want to benefit from a free education for your children paid for by taxpayers that you enter into a contract with the state. Vaccinate yiur children and receive childcare and a free education.

Of course this does not apply to those who are unable to be vaccinated, these measures would be to protect them.

Thesearmsofmine Mon 19-Aug-19 08:52:04

I know several anti vaxxers and all home educate anyway. I also home ed but my dc are vaccinated.

Lucyccfc68 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:53:03

Nailsneedoing - my DS had the single jabs and I just took a letter from the clinic to my Doctors. His records show he has been vaccinated.

herculepoirot2 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:55:01

I really don’t agree with the idea of making vaccinations compulsory. It’s awful and frustrating that some people believe that the vaccination is dangerous or ineffective (they seem to be quite stupid) but the principle of individual autonomy when it comes the healthcare decisions is a vital one.

OrchidInTheSun Mon 19-Aug-19 08:55:13

Your children must be quite old Nails because single mumps vaccines haven't been for over 10 years

oldbuthappygothgirl Mon 19-Aug-19 08:55:44

@NailsNeedDoing there wasn't a time when there was a valid reason to be concerned about the MMR. The supposed autism link was shown to be bullshit as soon as it came out.

Lookingsparkly Mon 19-Aug-19 08:58:04

Yes to vaccinations being needed for enrolment in state schools and access to nursery funding. That’s not making it compulsory. People aren’t having their children marched to the doctor’s surgery for vaccinations - but if parents want to benefit from our society then they need to play by the rules.

herculepoirot2 Mon 19-Aug-19 08:59:10

but if parents want to benefit from our society then they need to play by the rules.

Except that it really isn’t a rule. It’s a healthcare decision made for each individual.

Saucery Mon 19-Aug-19 09:02:22

I don’t believe in punishing children for the decisions made by their parents. Isolating unvaccinated children isn’t going to help encourage faith in the medical profession.

ineedaholidaynow Mon 19-Aug-19 09:02:53

Isn’t it compulsory in some other countries that children need to be vaccinated before they can go to school?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »