Talk

Advanced search

To be really really annoyed at River Island's treatment of my daughter at interview

(331 Posts)
BadHairDyeDay Sun 18-Aug-19 07:43:21

DD17 applied for a job with RI - 8 hour contract evenings and Saturdays and would fit around school no problem. On Thursday she an email asking her to attend a "recruitment event" yesterday morning at 9.30 and to bring "proof of eligibility to work in the UK". Excellent so far.
So yesterday morning DD gets her National insurance number letter and I drop her off for the interview. As I'm walking back to the car I get a phone call from DD to say she needs either her birth certificate or her passport. I ask her what for. She says she was supposed to bring either one. I said no it was proof of eligibility to work in the UK, I.e. National insurance number. Birth certificate = proof of identity. Passport = eligibility to travel outside your own country. That was problem no 1 . Anyway RI had said she could come back at 10.30 with said documents and have interview then. So I made the half hour round trip home to fetch BC.
All fine then. But no. Problem no.2. At the end of the interview DD is asked when she can work (which she had set out in detail in her application form and was the same as the advertised position). So she tells them again and they say "Oh so you can't work XX?". DD says no. They say not at all? DD says sorry no it was in my application form and I didn't think I had to! End of interview!

So AIBU to be raging that they didn't ask for the documents they actually wanted at interview and also that we completely wasted a whole morning due to the fact that they didn't read my DD's application form properly and changed the criteria at the last minute anyway!!!!!
I have a good mind to complain to head office because that's is just plain incompetence - and in their eyes my DD looks like she is in the wrong!!!

P.S Sorry this is so long!!!

adaline Sun 18-Aug-19 07:46:58

I think you're overreacting a bit!

Proof of right to work has always been more than a national insurance number - I've always been asked to bring proof of address as well.

If she can't do the hours then she can't do the hours - yes they should have read her application before she was interviewed but it's not the end of the world.

Just chalk it up to experience and in the future she'll know what to bring with her to interview.

birdseyebirdsnose Sun 18-Aug-19 07:47:41

NI number can't be used as identification and it could be anybody's. Every time I've been asked for proof of eligibility to work in UK it's been passport or birth certificate + photo id.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 18-Aug-19 07:48:40

I think you’re over reacting.

Put it down as interview experience and move on.

imip Sun 18-Aug-19 07:49:10

Birth certificate or passport is my experience also.

Craftycorvid Sun 18-Aug-19 07:51:23

It’s poor practice on their part by the sounds of it, and a frustrating waste of time for your DD. It’s interview experience at least. You could offer some feedback to whoever does their HR (and the might outsource it).

AmIThough Sun 18-Aug-19 07:51:42

YABVU.
Of course she would need to take proof of identity, and of course she needs to be flexible when working in retail.

She wasted their time, not the other way round.

TSSDNCOP Sun 18-Aug-19 07:52:45

I work in HR. We always ask for passport/birth certificate for PORTRW. As they did.

All retailers will ask if an employee is Fully Flexible. That means whether the can work outside the advertised hours. They may not need her to, they will prefer it if she can.

Pleas do write to the HO. It’d be great to hear what they reply.

lovelyupnorth Sun 18-Aug-19 07:54:07

It’s a legal requirement for proof of Id before employing someone. And yabu

Oblomov19 Sun 18-Aug-19 07:54:16

I disagree. Chalk it down to experience? No. You emotionally prepare a lot for an interview and put a lot of effort it.
To find it's been pointless is really irritating.

Bluntness100 Sun 18-Aug-19 07:54:24

I think maybe in this one you misunderstood what is proof of being able to work in the uk. Most people would have brought passport or birth certificate or both. I'm assuming they weren't all sent home, so that indicate to you the issue.

On the availability to work, what was the time they asked for that she said no to?

Mouikey Sun 18-Aug-19 07:55:22

You’re daughter clearly had a lucky escape! Remember interviews are a two way thing, many employers are complacent that people are so desperate to work they can behave in any manner because they are ‘entitled to’. When I interview I appreciate that the interviewee is also seeing if we are suitable for them.

Whilst I think you are overreacting to the NI issue, irrespective of your daughters job application, RI advertised a job with specific hours, clearly they wanted something else.

She will get knockbacks and this job clearly wasn’t right for her. Onwards and upwards!

CleanHonestGoals Sun 18-Aug-19 07:56:18

I'm guessing she couldn't work a Sunday?
I work for a different retailer but our 8 hour contracts have to have full availability over a weekend and most retail places are similar.
She would of needed a passport too at ours.

Sparklingbrook Sun 18-Aug-19 07:57:09

I also think a passport is the norm when going for an interview.

If anyone complains to HO it should be your DD though.

AshamedandEmbarrassed2019 Sun 18-Aug-19 07:58:00

Every job I've had I always had to provide birth certificate or passport with NI number. I'm surprised you don't already know that.

Retail is a funny one, they say the hours contracted/needed but they always want you to be available for overtime. Just the way it is.

Plexie Sun 18-Aug-19 07:59:19

Passport seems to be a normal requirement nowadays, even bringing it to the interview rather than confirming the identity of just the successful candidate. They should have provided information of what documents are acceptable - was that not in the email or a link to a webpage?

As for the second problem, yes that was incompetent but who would you complain to? Presumably this was a single shop so head office won't care. I suppose you could send a constructive complaint to the shop manager.

I would chalk it down to an early introduction to ineptitude in the workplace.

BingPot99 Sun 18-Aug-19 07:59:54

NI number letters are not proof of right to work, and it would have been easy for you /DD to Google a list of suitable documents before the interview

Did they actually say no at the end of the interview? If they did, was it definitely because she couldn't do the other hours or because she was unprepared/ didn't answer the questions well? What was her attitude in saying she couldn't do those hours-"I already told you what I can do" end of conversation or "No, but I can be flexible by doing xyz"

Attitude and flexibility are key in retail

Elliebellbell Sun 18-Aug-19 08:00:36

Have neither of you ever applied for a job before? They always need passport, bc and a letter dated within the last 3 months from a bank or utility company as proof of address. Stop being so furious and actually consider the criteria required when you apply for a job, it'll make it much easier for your dd to get one.

Tonnerre Sun 18-Aug-19 08:00:56

of course she needs to be flexible when working in retail

Nonsense. She applied for an evening and weekend job, as plenty of students do. Shops advertise these jobs knowing that those are the sort of people who will apply. They know they can't be flexible.

missmouse101 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:02:08

I agree it must have been very annoying but I do not think you should rant to HQ on behalf of your daughter! She was applying for the job, not you and there is every chance they may come back to her if their first choice refuses/doesn't work out. You never know. It has happened to me, and if Mummy stirs the pot at the first hurdle, that would certainly not happen. Leave well alone!

BigFatLiar Sun 18-Aug-19 08:05:42

I think the passport is now a requirement to stop employing illegal immigrants. Even after we were TUPE'd to a new company the new company asked to see our passports/birth certs.

HangryPants Sun 18-Aug-19 08:05:43

Well, it's a pretty useful experience for her along the lines of "Welcome to the World of Work". I think she's lucky to have a mum willing to do all of that driving around for her.

Bluetrews25 Sun 18-Aug-19 08:05:44

Mummy getting involved will make your DD look like she's not responsible enough to go out on her own. Is that how you want to make her look?
I appreciate you are cheesed off on her behalf, but she will know better what to expect next time.

Witchinaditch Sun 18-Aug-19 08:06:27

One of those parents who complain on their children’s behalf’s in the work place. How cringe. Just put it down to experience.

chocolatemademefat Sun 18-Aug-19 08:07:16

Anyone taking a part time job - young people more so - for only eight hours a week have to be flexible. It’s very unlikely employers will have the specific hours your DD is willing to work so if she wants a job she’ll have to fit in with their requirements. As for River Island not working this out from her application they don’t have time to hand pick hours for a teenager - they would’ve been seeing other people who were perhaps able to work when they were actually needed most.

It can be difficult for young people to gain some work experience but they’re the ones who have to be flexible or as your daughter has found out she won’t get the job.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »