Talk

Advanced search

AIBU regarding neighbours

(43 Posts)
HC4U Sat 17-Aug-19 23:32:20

Currently abroad for a number of months with my family and one of our neighbours has a key of our home. We gave it to them years ago when we moved to the area. We are friends but not in and out of each others house etc. I got locked out of the house week 1 with a tiny baby and this neighbour broke window for me and with one thing and another I gave him a spare key.

Anyway fast forward to the past few weeks where I have gotton a text noting
1.They used our lawnmower and found it better than their own, so have been using it while we are gone. No asking do we mind?
2. Sports on TV watched in our living room by the man and his sons on numerous occasions as they don't have the channels. Plus teenage son has gone down a few times to watch movies.
3. They had a party yesterday in their own home and they took some of my plates and large dishes for the event.
4. Took some baking ingredients out of my pantry as "I knew you wouldn't be using them for a while".

Now honestly please don't get me wrong, I would give access to my home if I was there and give them anything they wanted or needed. But I just find it this time a little too much.

We mentioned we were going away but did not give them responsibility for looking after the house as our immediate neighbour does that as we do them when they go away. But I would never take or borrow anything from someone without asking them first.

If this neighbour gave me their key which they haven't I would never take stuff without asking them first.

Its just the lack of manners that gets me. I think its time to take back the key!!!

akmum18 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:35:33

I’d be taking the key back ASAP or sending someone to change the locks, that’s not acceptable at all they’re being cheeky and I wouldn’t be happy either

Aquamarine1029 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:41:25

I would be telling them off and demanding the key back. Actually, I might be inclined to change the locks in case they made a copy. These people cannot be trusted, and I would be absolutely livid if I were you. God know what they've been rummaging through in your home.

NewNewNewNew Sat 17-Aug-19 23:46:06

You've learnt your lesson at least.
Should've taken your key back sooner.
Make sure you check your personal documents haven't been tampered with.
Be prepared for identity theft.

Drum2018 Sat 17-Aug-19 23:50:20

Do you have a trusted friend or family member near your house? If so ask them if they would collect the key, say they have to get something for you, and then not return the key. I would be livid to discover someone had used my home and contents without my permission.

PancakeAndKeith Sat 17-Aug-19 23:55:12

Watch out. It’s a fine line between this and your holiday home in Mexico.

In all seriousness I would take your key back. They have miss understood the relationship.

I had a similar situation, kind of, with my downstairs neighbour in a house of flats. We had keys to each other’s flat and would let ourselves in to borrow stuff, we were both single, and it was a nice relationship. Also he had Sky and I didn’t so I’d let myself in to watch X Files, it was a long time ago.
Anyway, one day I get back after I’d been away for the weekend to find a note saying that he’d borrowed a duvet set as he had rather over exuberant sex with a new boyfriend and needed clean sheets.

Pancakeflipper Sat 17-Aug-19 23:55:37

Ooh there's a CF.

We have a neighbour like this. They have a key for a vulnerable neighbour. If the vulnerable neighbour goes to stay with family for a few days they go and use the cooker to roast the chicken, make fruitcake, chutneys... Anything that takes ages to cook. Also thought to have a bath but no proof to verify that...
But the family of the vulnerable neighbour thinks the neighbour is wonderful and would never do this....

Elieza Sat 17-Aug-19 23:57:12

Unbelievable. Cheeky swines. Get key back and tell them your mother needs it whether or not she does. Or change locks if you think they have made a duplicate. The utter cheek....unbelievable. Grrr

Sparklesocks Sat 17-Aug-19 23:58:33

I would make it clear that you do not want them in your home in case there’s an emergency, and things like borrowing stuff or watching movies do not constitute an emergency

Tonnerre Sun 18-Aug-19 00:15:20

Write to them and ask them to give their keys to the neighbour who is looking after your house immediately. If you need an excuse, tell them it's an insurance issue.

MardyMavis Sun 18-Aug-19 00:17:42

Strange that they've told you....brazen as fuck! I bet they've done a lot more and are telling you these things so it looks like they are honest when they are cf's of the highest form, tell them to go and give the key to your other neighbour NOW!

Cherrysoup Sun 18-Aug-19 00:31:00

Holy fuck, that is proper mad! Presumably, you didn't say 'Hey, help yourself to my house/services/belongings?' This is mad! Get the key back off them and ban them from your house! I'd also get the lock/barrel changed, I bet they've made copies for every member of the bloody family.

CallMeRachel Sun 18-Aug-19 00:35:43

Yikes they've become far too comfortable and are treating your home like an extension of their own!!

I'd either ask the other neighbour to go round and ask for the key or ask them to assist in arranging to get the locks changed.

HiJenny35 Sun 18-Aug-19 01:04:24

Obviously you send one of your family round and say that you have asked for the key back as you don't feel comfortable with people being in and out while you are away. Do it now obviously. Your home insurance would also be invalidated in these circumstances as you have a non family member using the house, could cause a fire, leave house unsecured anything. Don't give them warning as they may get second set of keys cut.

Winterlife Sun 18-Aug-19 01:44:00

Call a locksmith and have the locks changed. If a family member can't be there, ask the locksmith to give all keys to the nice neighbour. You can have a key couriered to you, if you're abroad for a while.

ScaryBunnyPainting Sun 18-Aug-19 01:52:08

Cheeky bastards.
I wouldn’t put it past them to have made copies of your keys. Change the locks.

TidyDancer Sun 18-Aug-19 01:58:35

Oh definitely take back the key. You're one step removed from the Mexican house thief story.

SweetMarmalade Sun 18-Aug-19 02:05:21

Pity you didn’t get one of those security cameras linked to your phone installed. You could ring them while they were watching tv in your house! Tell them to ‘get outta my ass yer CFers’!

SweetMarmalade Sun 18-Aug-19 02:06:33

But yes, as PP have suggested, get your locks changed.

RedHatsDoNotSuitMe Sun 18-Aug-19 02:27:44

OMG... You've got yourself your own CF! You should probably win a MN award.

In response to all the things you list:

1.They used our lawnmower and found it better than their own, so have been using it while we are gone. No asking do we mind?
not really a big deal. A BIT might make you suck your cheeks in, but not especially cheeky
2. Sports on TV watched in our living room by the man and his sons on numerous occasions as they don't have the channels. Plus teenage son has gone down a few times to watch movies.
OUTRAGEOUS!!!!!
3. They had a party yesterday in their own home and they took some of my plates and large dishes for the event.
Quite cheeky, but ok if they wash and return each and every one to the same place they got it from
4. Took some baking ingredients out of my pantry as "I knew you wouldn't be using them for a while".
Less cheeky if those things had a 'use-by' date coming up, more cheeky if not

Generally, behaviour is off-the-scale outrageousl

YY to changing the locks.

Mothership4two Sun 18-Aug-19 02:31:51

Yes get your keys back asap - cheeky monkeys.

A teenager and an empty house - not a great combination!

Candymay Sun 18-Aug-19 02:38:00

This cannot be true. Surely not. And they are telling you all of this? Anyway, I would have someone there changing the locks- tonight. At any cost.

Jux Sun 18-Aug-19 03:22:47

Get the locks changed, have the locksmith give all keys to your nice neighbour. Contact CF neighbour saying that everything must be returned to nice neighbour by Saturday (or when it's convenient for nice neighbour to see to it).

Remoteisland Sun 18-Aug-19 03:35:11

What’s the Mexican story???

HouseworkAvoider10 Sun 18-Aug-19 03:41:42

Next they'll be rooting in your knicker drawer.

Don't even bother asking for the keys back.
Just change all the locks.

That is super CFery. shock

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »