Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that Sainsbury's will no longer sell plastic applicator tampons?

(500 Posts)
caddywally Sat 17-Aug-19 21:29:55

It's not a massive issue at the moment because I can buy them elsewhere, but if other shops follow suit I'm going to be condemned to a life of using pads because I don't get on with non-applicator or cardboard applicator tampons. I can't use menstrual cups, either.

I understand the problem with plastic but don't see why women who rely on plastic applicator tampons should suffer when there is excess plastic everywhere. I already live a fairly eco-friendly life - no car, 1 holiday in the past 10 years, rarely eat meat, most of the stuff I own is second hand (mainly for financial reasons than anything else, admittedly) - and I don't see why I should have miserable periods when there are people whose lifestyles are much worse for the environment than mine. I also don't flush sanitary products down the toilet, which I assumed was common sense. I probably am being unreasonable and should just suck it up for the sake of environment!

Crybabyghoul Sat 17-Aug-19 21:34:22

I don't think you're unreasonable, of course the plastic is an issue but when you find a product you're comfortable using it's always a worry when you can't get it anymore.

froufroufoxes Sat 17-Aug-19 21:35:33

You can buy reusable applicators.
I think it's fantastic that they're going to stop selling them. I hope tampax stop manufacturing the plastic ones. Sorry.

Notquitemyselfanymore Sat 17-Aug-19 21:36:44

wearedame.co/products/d-the-reusable-tampon-applicator

If you do some research there are alternatives which should hopefully meet your needs without polluting the environment.

froufroufoxes Sat 17-Aug-19 21:36:47

https://wearedame.co/products/d-the-reusable-tampon-applicator

These look great.

mum2jakie Sat 17-Aug-19 21:36:52

Typical that they target products that are only important for women first! They haven't started with disposable razors have they! I like Tampax Pearl and won't be impressed if they stop producing them. There are lots of other forms of single use plastic that could be targeted!

Stripes100 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:37:36

You can buy reusable plastic tampon applicators.

www.boots.com/dame-reusable-tampon-applicator-set-10267256?cm_mmc=bmm-buk-google-ppc-_-PLAs-_-(GB:Whoop!)+Dame-_-(GB:Whoop!)+Boots+Shopping+-+All+Other+Products+-+Mobile&gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsorw2-CK5AIVC_lRCh3m9QNZEAQYASABEgJVu_D_BwE

Coffeeandchocolate9 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:37:40

I think yabu. The are plenty of choices when it comes to sanpro, and we need ALL manufacturers, including those of sanpro, to drastically reduce the use of single use plastic.

caddywally Sat 17-Aug-19 21:38:12

froufroufoxes Interesting - hadn't heard of reusable applicators before. That's something to look into.

Nextphonewontbesamsung Sat 17-Aug-19 21:40:31

Yabu. Plastic applicator tampons and all single use plastics need to go. You'll have to find a way - just like every woman before about 1990 did.

caddywally Sat 17-Aug-19 21:41:36

mum2jakie That's how I feel, too. It's such an easy target to make it look as though something's been done, though there are so many other things they could look at getting rid of.

Thanks to all who suggested reusuable applicators - the Dame one looks pretty similar to a disposable plastic applicator so hopefully won't bite my vagina in the same way cardboard applicators do.

BarbariansMum Sat 17-Aug-19 21:42:06

Yes YABU. You can learn to insert them using another method, or use something else. Everybody wants to save the planet- as long as it doesn't actually affect them in any way whatsoever. Unfortunately that's not going to work.

Teachermaths Sat 17-Aug-19 21:43:46

How do cardboard ones bite? They are exactly the same!

Buy a reusable applicator.

PuzzledObserver Sat 17-Aug-19 21:46:06

I could never get on with plastic applicators - much preferred cardboard ones. All history now, though - yay menopause!!

jennymanara Sat 17-Aug-19 21:46:09

Plastic applicator tampons have not been around for long. Everyone managed beforehand.

caddywally Sat 17-Aug-19 21:46:33

Teachermaths I'm not sure, but I've tried time and time again and they just don't glide in smoothly without a pinching feeling - for some reason only the plastic ones go in without doing that. Weird because, as you say, they're much the same (except the size, for some reason).

PuzzledObserver Sat 17-Aug-19 21:47:18

there are so many other things they could look at getting rid of

such as...... disposable nappies? (retires into corner to watch the fireworks)

Crybabyghoul Sat 17-Aug-19 21:47:37

@Coffeeandchocolate9 there are, but a lot of them just don't work for me personally sad

I currently can only use tampax Pearl, having endometriosis I've found that these are the only ones that don't hurt.

I've tried all different types of cups but none of them will ever open no matter what I do.

I have those absorbent pants but the biggest size I found is still a bit tight on me, but I'm trying to lose weight. blush

Someone has posted above a link to a reusable applicator, that would definitely be worth a go! I really would love to be more Eco friendly when it comes to sanitary products.

bouncingraindrops Sat 17-Aug-19 21:47:59

Typical that they target products that are only important for women first!

They haven't really though. Plastic straws?

Everything isn't a feminist issue.

I think it's great. We don't need plastic applicators.

Thesunrising Sat 17-Aug-19 21:50:04

YABU. Yes it’s irritating, but single use plastics are an environmental menace and we all have to start sacrificing convenience we have become accustomed to which is at the expense of our planet. There are alternatives already mentioned by PPs - I’ve just started trying out period pants - good for about 90% of the time I’m on my period - sanitary towel still required for heaviest days - but a step in the right direction!

Twillow Sat 17-Aug-19 21:50:25

YABVU, I was shocked when they introduced plastic applicators - what was wrong with the cardboard ones for heaven's sake? Anyway, having looked at the link to the reusable plastic applicator - genius! But why is it £25?????

Alb1 Sat 17-Aug-19 21:51:48

It’s commendable that they are trying to reduce their single use plastic items, good on them. Although there’s far far more that needs to be done. Hopefully now you’ve seen the reusable applicators maybe those will work better for you, it’d be absolutely rubbish for this to be an issue for you forever, but anything that can be done to reduce plastic waste is a good thing in my opinion.

caddywally Sat 17-Aug-19 21:52:56

PuzzledObserver

I don't have kids so I don't feel any strong pull towards disposable nappies - no fireworks from me!

caddywally Sat 17-Aug-19 21:55:12

Twillow

I'm not sure - maybe there's not much competition? £25 seems like a fair price if it lasts a while, though, and if non-applicator tampons are cheaper than applicator tampons then it won't be too many periods before it pays for itself. I'm tempted to buy one but think I'll be looking at some reviews first.

whereisthebloodypostman Sat 17-Aug-19 21:56:42

I tried those TOTM organic cotton tampons with the cardboard applicator recently. The applicator is an absolute bugger, I had to push the tampon halfway up before inserting as it just wouldn't come out otherwise. However, they were really comfortable, I forgot I was even wearing a tampon which is nice as Tampax leave me quite sore.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »