Talk

Advanced search

8.5 stone and I still don’t feel thin?

(161 Posts)
Mymygivemeafry Sat 17-Aug-19 11:20:07

Been eating more healthily and walking a lot and now weigh 8 1/2 stone (I am also quite short) but still don’t feel thin- still have wobbly and blobby patches.

Is anyone else the same? What did you do?

Crunchymum Sat 17-Aug-19 11:20:54

How short is short?

How much did you weigh before?

31RueCambon Sat 17-Aug-19 11:22:29

I felt like this, I"d love to be that weight now. 9 and a half now at 5'1''

You are SLIM, you just mightn't have that straight up straight down figure that you connect with 'thin'.

Fraggling Sat 17-Aug-19 11:22:29

When I did weights at home and sit ups I looked pretty good, looking at photos from last year

Of course I stopped and difference is obvious!

Friend has been doing gym a lot. Yoga spin etc is toned looks fab

Boots20 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:25:09

How short are you? What do people around you say do they comment on your weight at all? I'm 91/2 stone & 5ft4 & I would say I'm curvy/slightly chubby around bum/hips but when I used to weigh 8st9 I looks super super thin & lean.

BillieEilish Sat 17-Aug-19 11:25:45

Depends on how 'short' you are.

TwistedStrawberry Sat 17-Aug-19 11:26:34

I think this is the worst place to ask this question! The obsessiveness on MN with being thin is ridiculous.

Unless you are very very short then 8.5 stone is very light.

MereDintofPandiculation Sat 17-Aug-19 11:31:49

Keep up the exercise which will help firm up the flesh, strengthen your tummy muscles and get used to always holding your tummy in slightly if that's the problem.

I've got down to 8st, but still have a bit of a tummy. So I keep an eye on my weight and don't let it creep up, make good resolutions about exercise which I don't carry out, concentrate on how nice it is to now have a waist again, and smile when I look in the mirror because everyone looks better when they're smiling.

Fraggling Sat 17-Aug-19 11:33:06

I knew this would happen

I'm 5'3 and was 9st last year which I know was a bit over middle of range

Just checked nhs, normal range for me is 7st 6 to 10 St 1

5'3 is not terribly short by UK standards, like op a bit short might apply

So unless by a bit short op actually means fairly tall, her weight is fine

Youmadorwhat Sat 17-Aug-19 11:33:45

Yes OP I’m 5 3” and around the same and I feel horrible at the moment as it’s the most I have ever weighed, I just feel really un toned too!! It’s driving me crazy! I’m a size 8 but my jeans are getting snug which is making me uncomfortable. sad

picklemepopcorn Sat 17-Aug-19 11:39:32

What does feeling thin mean to you? Maybe you need to break it down a bit more and decide what needs addressing (if anything). If you are aiming for a thigh gap, or to have no soft areas on your body, that may be a bit unrealistic.

Redcrayons Sat 17-Aug-19 11:40:15

I lost a fair amount through diet and although I was slim I didn’t feel thin as I was still flabby and unfit.
I’m half a stone heavier now but run and do weights so I’m a lot more toned. I feel ‘thinner’ than when I was lighter.
I’m tall so 8 would put me in the underweight zone.

quietcontentment Sat 17-Aug-19 11:42:31

I'm 5ft3in and 7st 7, I am thin and feel thin.
I am however naturally very small in build.

I have been 8st5 before and whilst I didn't feel thin an felt a little uncomfortable I was probably more healthy than I am now.

Fine line Op, try different excercise types maybe,? If not just take easy to be honest at my size I have always got to be careful I don't end up really under weight or dare I say with an eating disorder.
Being at the thin end of the scale can be just as unhealthy as the other, I'm there and very aware of my weight to keep healthy.

Ginkypig Sat 17-Aug-19 11:47:27

It really does depend on height and other factors like age fitness etc.

I am tall and I would look ill at that weight but my sibling who is 7" shorter and a few years younger than me would look slim but not underweight.

NoBaggyPants Sat 17-Aug-19 11:48:31

It's perfectly normal to be a healthy weight and still have some wobbly bits. And to have a tummy and hips and a bum. We're supposed to carry some fat, it's not a bad thing at all.

Dylaninthemovies1 Sat 17-Aug-19 11:49:05

Hi, you are slim. But if you are still concerned then please go to the GP, I’m slightly worried you may be beginning the descent into an eating disorder

Nextphonewontbesamsung Sat 17-Aug-19 11:49:22

If you are female and not a natural ectomorph but want no visible body fat or "wobbly bits" whatsoever then you have to diet and work out obsessively. Not much fun, although some people seem to get off on it.

AlwaysOnAbloodyDiet Sat 17-Aug-19 11:53:19

I feel the same OP, although I'm around 9 stone. I know I'm slim but I have a flabby tummy and hips.

I think it would take specific workouts and 'clean' eating to get rid and get ripped which I'm not prepared to do 🍷🍕grin

SomeAfternoonDelight Sat 17-Aug-19 11:57:17

Right here with you OP. Knocked my cals to 1200 a day, 10k steps a day, gym four times a week and I’ve came down with a mega kidney infection so all I’m craving is crap. I’m going to start again next week. I creeped up to 8.7 and I honestly felt absolutely disgusting. I’m 5 2. Cellulite all over, all wobbly, easily grabbed. Awful awful awful. And I really don’t care what others say, it’s how I feel and it’s not bloody nice.

I’ve downloaded ‘my fitness pal’ and it’s really helped. I’m counting my steps too. I’ve lost 2 lbs and already feel better though still shit (feel god awful right now)

Appointment with a PT next week in hope to have him for one hour per week. I hate the gym, but it’s necessary. I spent £200 last night on new gym clothes and shoes so I actually feel nice going to the gym. But I think for me to have a kick up the bum it had to get to the point I wanted to have sex with the lights off 😫

JapaneseBirdPainting Sat 17-Aug-19 12:04:59

Op- not to derail but what do you eat? What is your exercise profile like?

I am 5. ft 4 and 12 stone. My dream is to be in the 10 stone range.

Thingsdogetbetter Sat 17-Aug-19 12:05:58

It looks like you are confusing thin and toned. Unless you are underweight or very toned then wobbly bits are normal. The only women I see in the gym without wobbly bits are seriously skinny teens and competitive weightlifters. They do hours of specific exercises a day, every day to get that toned. I'd rather accept a bit of wobble and enjoy my life!

I was 7 and a half stone at 5.2 in my thirties and still had wobbly belly and underarms. I'm now 9 and a half and more toned (not very, but really can't be arsed!) with slightly less wobbly bits although I'm 2 stone heavier.

Yoga and weights seemingly, rather than cardio, to tone up - at least I hope so, cos I bloody hate cardio! grin

MyDcAreMarvel Sat 17-Aug-19 12:07:37

How tall are you? 5.6 + ?

Fraggling Sat 17-Aug-19 12:11:50

Doing weights is something women are being encouraged to do more as we tend to stick to cardio but weights help prevent osteoporosis related to menopause.

Lifting free weights also is good I think as you have to balance etc so they work your core and other bits rather than just the area you're focusing on iyswim. I used to lift dh weights at home it makes you feel v strong as well somehow its a great feeling!

Lovemenorca Sat 17-Aug-19 12:16:15

@quietcontentment

Do you have an eating disorder to maintain that weight? When you mention health issues with underweight, are you suffering any?

Sorry to derail

TrashPanda Sat 17-Aug-19 12:16:41

I am smaller than you, 5ft2 and less than 7.5 stone but I still have wobbly and blobby bits from carrying 3 children and never doing anything remotely exercise related. You don't need to lose more weight as depending on what the wobbly bits are it may make them more obvious, mine are when I'm a lower weight. It's toning and fitness you need I would say.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »