Talk

Advanced search

to think someone should know doggy dog makes no sense?

(411 Posts)
Juells Wed 14-Aug-19 12:08:20

Heard someone (on TV) using this yesterday. "It's a doggy dog world". Why do people think this means anything?

Later (think it was on Antiques Road Trip) someone said they were thinking of changing tact.

PookieDo Wed 14-Aug-19 12:09:18

Do you mean dog eat dog world? That would make more sense

MoggyP Wed 14-Aug-19 12:10:06

"tact"

grin

CaptainMyCaptain Wed 14-Aug-19 12:11:09

Dave Gorman made a whole programme about this type of thing - like a bowl in a China shop, from the gecko (get go) etc.

Soubriquet Wed 14-Aug-19 12:11:41

I think it’s dog eat dog not soggy dog grin

CrispbuttyNo1 Wed 14-Aug-19 12:11:55

They said dog eat dog. And I would know what someone means if they say they are changing tact too.

OohthatlovelyNigelfromBabyClub Wed 14-Aug-19 12:12:26

Were they selling a "chester draws"?

ZacharyQuack Wed 14-Aug-19 12:13:31

It's a quote from Gloria on Modern Family. "It's a doggy dog world, Jay"

bigsnugglebunny Wed 14-Aug-19 12:15:02

Maybe it's a reference to Snoop Doggy Dog? grin he is a bit of an antique isn't he?

MerryBerryCheesecake Wed 14-Aug-19 12:19:23

I think I saw something like this on Reddit or on a YouTube video.

Think it's referred to as a Bone Apple Tea at the moment
(as in mispronounced Bon Appétit).

Some of them are quite funny.

DappledThings Wed 14-Aug-19 12:20:52

Do you mean dog eat dog world? That would make more sense

I think OP knows that. She's pointing out that doggy dog world, as a corruption of the correct phrase, makes no sense.

OtraCosaMariposa Wed 14-Aug-19 12:22:23

A lot of people are basically pretty thick though.

Juells Wed 14-Aug-19 12:25:39

They said dog eat dog. And I would know what someone means if they say they are changing tact too.

I know they meant dog eat dog. They were being serious, not channeling Gloria.

I knew that she meant changing tack when she said 'changing tact', that isn't the point.

BarkandCheese Wed 14-Aug-19 12:25:51

It's like saying "damp squid". Although because of Friends I tend to say "moo point" rather than "moot point", which unless you know the reference makes me sound thick as mince.

Juells Wed 14-Aug-19 12:27:40

Although because of Friends I tend to say "moo point" rather than "moot point"

I've seen it written as 'mute point' grin

CitadelsofScience Wed 14-Aug-19 12:32:59

As a nation we do seem to be losing our ability to use language correctly.

Ameanstreakamilewide Wed 14-Aug-19 12:33:28

I recently read the words 'bollonaise sauce'.

I understand that sometimes people only ever hear certain words/phrases being said and not written down; and vice versa...

But come on!

Vasya Wed 14-Aug-19 12:34:29

What was that thread on here recently where an OP wanted to prove to her husband that he had a particular phrase wrong? She was right, but it was amazing how many posters vehemently defended the incorrect one. It's driving me mad that I can't recall what the phrase was!

AuntieStella Wed 14-Aug-19 12:36:09

"As a nation we do seem to be losing our ability to use language correctly"

It's not been lost, it's been stolen by predictive keyboards

Untrained Wed 14-Aug-19 12:38:47

I saw one recently, it might even have been on MN.. some issue that needed to be "nipped in the butt"!

BertrandRussell Wed 14-Aug-19 12:39:59

“It’s a doggy dog world” is from an American sitcom- my mind has gone blank about the name of it. A character called Gloria who’s not a native speaker, thinks that’s what the saying is and what a lovely world a doggy dog world would be. It’s one of our family “things”.

DappledThings Wed 14-Aug-19 12:40:01

What was that thread on here recently where an OP wanted to prove to her husband that he had a particular phrase wrong

Was it another think coming incorrectly changed to another thing coming? That comes up a lot.

Youwanapizzame Wed 14-Aug-19 12:40:34

I've seen a couple of threads discussing "you have another thing comimg" VS " you have another think coming "

Youwanapizzame Wed 14-Aug-19 12:41:20

Ooooh snap

TerrifiedandWorried Wed 14-Aug-19 12:41:41

Was it "you've got another think/thing coming" Vasya?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »