Talk

Advanced search

The Speakmans- AIBU to think they’re charlatans?

(71 Posts)
Gobsmacking Wed 14-Aug-19 11:08:29

Just seen the Speakman’s on ITV and I am really surprised that they are considered therapist’s. They don’t seem to really listen to the person, they tell them what’s wrong with them ( generally something obvious imparted as though they are providing some profound insight) and then make person confront fear ( which I know is not recommended) whilst egging the poor person on in a two against one tag team fashion.
Person then does whatever Speakman’s cajole them to do and then the Speakman’s declare said person cured. And we see no follow ups to see if this is indeed the case and said person goes on to frolic with snakes/ get on a plane etc.
AIBU to say they are a pair of charlatans who probably shouldn’t mess about with people’s mental health?

WalkofShame Wed 14-Aug-19 11:11:18

Just had to google them and saw this in Wikipedia
The Speakmans have diplomas in an unspecified subject from Newcastle University,[4] but are not accredited psychotherapists.

I think that tells you all you need to know

Gobsmacking Wed 14-Aug-19 11:13:43

Why the flip would ITV give these jokers any air time then? They must have some dirt on someone high up there, I can’t think why else.

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:17:04

Unfortunately ‘therapist’ isn’t a protected title so anyone can call her / himself a therapist. The speakmans are not qualified and accredited psychotherapists.

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:17:42

They are very odd

LoseLooseLucy Wed 14-Aug-19 11:19:59

They're weird alright.

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:22:05

Are they a couple? They look like siblings

SexFarmWoman Wed 14-Aug-19 11:22:46

I find them strange and a bit ‘dark’ for some reason, but the ITV massive seem to rave about them.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Wed 14-Aug-19 11:23:23

I do find it odd that they get so much air time too

OneHanded Wed 14-Aug-19 11:26:34

They’re odd for sure but there was a lady who came into the studio live after the vt and had a fire engine come in which was her phobia

IamtheDevilsAvocado Wed 14-Aug-19 11:28:13

If anyone can find any university they've attended /degrees earnt/registration with a proper (not made up by them 😁) registration ie BABCP/UKCP/HCPC... I'd be amazed...

There's been much disquiet about them in professional circles... Little can be done as the counselling /therapist title isn't protected in law... ie ANYONE can call themselves a counsellor /therapist...

Apart from lack of recognised qualification several things are alarming... ;

1. You never 'see' what they do (apart from bullying people)...

2. They don't use ANY recognised therapeutic intervention... Like CBT /CFT... The actual treatment recommended by NICE.

3. They claim to 'cure' people of OCD/PTSD in a couple of hours.... Of this was possible the NHS... You know actual psychologists /therapists would be doing this...

4. It is obviously 'for the camera'... We never see follow up sessions... A week/month/3 month /a year later?

5. It is doubtful any results are real consistent 'cure'... Also when I've watched some of these it's clear the person doesn't have the alleged mental distress they're being 'treated' for...

A group of psychologists /psychiatrists (actual qualified people wrote to ITV this morning with their concerns.) ... Unqualified therapists leading to completely wrong impression to public over mental health problems and treatmebt... Don't think anything happened...

Gobsmacking Wed 14-Aug-19 11:35:49

Yes that’s it @Iamthe Devil- they just seem to bully the people who want help. Doesn’t seem very therapeutic.

longwayoff Wed 14-Aug-19 11:37:19

You have to ask?grin

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:38:09

Outrageous isn’t it

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:38:24

The speakmans I mean

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:38:58

It’s not therapy, it’s performance, it is bollocks

Gobsmacking Wed 14-Aug-19 11:41:34

Well that’s the thing @OneHanded. I’m pretty sure I would have done the same if I’d been pushed into it on live tv. Question is is that lady over her fear now?
@Greenglassteacup it is outrageous.

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:44:18

No 6 month review to see if their miracle ‘treatment’ was effective

fantasmasgoria1 Wed 14-Aug-19 11:47:31

There is definitely something off about them. I wouldn't allow them to help me!

Unpoquitititoloco Wed 14-Aug-19 11:48:42

Just leaving that here

SingingLily Wed 14-Aug-19 11:49:49

YADNBU. I've always thought they came across as peculiar and could never understand why they got the airtime. The info re their mystifying qualifications really doesn't surprise me at all but I really wonder why the programme is facilitating this other than for novelty value. The potential for entrenching damage must be huge.

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:51:56

Holy Shit ( that photo), terrifying

Gobsmacking Wed 14-Aug-19 11:51:57

I don’t know how these people get on tv. I never trust any of these tv psychologists/ therapists etc. It always turns out that they have no qualifications or not the right ones to make the claims they do. Really just armchair psychologists...

Greenglassteacup Wed 14-Aug-19 11:52:57

It’s cabaret, it’s like a royal variety performance

Gobsmacking Wed 14-Aug-19 11:53:13

Fucking hell @Unpoquitititoloco!!!! 😱😱😱
That’s terrifying!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »