Talk

Advanced search

To go to the doctor's because I've eaten too much salt and I think I'm dying

(331 Posts)
poopcollector101 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:28:23

I feel awful.

I've been doing the keto diet for 2 weeks. Part of this is that you replace your electrolytes by drinking salt water, 1tsp dissolved in water. I've done this past 2 days then yesterday for lunch I had a whole packet of pork crackling that was incredibly salty (actually made me feel a bit sick) and then ham hock salad, which was a bit salty, then I had some edamame beans with soy sauce (also salty) I didn't consider this at the time.
When I got home I had sprouts and bacon - more salt.

Then developed the worst headache I've ever experienced at about 8pm, literally feels like my brain was throbbing. Dry mouth and thirsty so I drank a ton of water.

I woke up at 5am with my head throbbing and I could barely move, husband have me a co codamol, barely touched the headache. I still feel wobbly now, my head feels so heavy and throbbing, it's like no headache I've ever had.

Should I go to the doctor this morning?

TheDarkPassenger Wed 14-Aug-19 09:29:56

You sound dehydrated! I’m not sure about GP but I would say it’s better to be safe than sorry

VivaLeBeaver Wed 14-Aug-19 09:31:00

I think you should drink a load more water. You could be very dehydrated. Ring 111 for advice.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 14-Aug-19 09:31:25

111 will tell you if you need a gp or not.

Haggisfish Wed 14-Aug-19 09:31:25

I would definitely go and drink water today, no more than one pint per hour.

madeyemoodysmum Wed 14-Aug-19 09:32:33

Ring for advice. This doesn’t sound like a safe diet.

poopcollector101 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:33:31

I'm trying to but it's making me feel very nauseous, like I might actually puke.

inboxmayhem Wed 14-Aug-19 09:34:01

I've never heard of drinking salt water on Keto!!! That sounds dangerous

WalkofShame Wed 14-Aug-19 09:34:29

This is an actual diet? I presume you will stop this now?

JuneSpoon Wed 14-Aug-19 09:34:48

If you feel sick, call the doctor.

Titsywoo Wed 14-Aug-19 09:35:01

Yeah I'd go to the gp

SuchAToDo Wed 14-Aug-19 09:35:04

www.google.com/amp/s/www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/what-to-do-after-eating-too-much-salt-sodium%3famp=true

This might help op

sheshootssheimplores Wed 14-Aug-19 09:35:37

Keto made me feel the same. Sack it off. I think some people just can’t cope with it.

Deemail Wed 14-Aug-19 09:36:12

Is the headache from carb flu rather than salt?

Iamnotacerealkiller Wed 14-Aug-19 09:36:17

I have done keto. never heard of having to drink salt water though, just adding it to food as you would normally.

I assume if you are 2 weeks in that you have been through keto flu already? if not it could be that on top of lots of salt dehydrating you.

I ate too much salt once. my symptoms were nausea and extreme thirst, literally could not drink enough. Seriously you don't need to add even more salt to your diet with salt water. just have it with your food as normal.

whothedaddy Wed 14-Aug-19 09:37:10

That 'diet' sounds absolutely batshit. No wonder you feel sick.

You need to drink some water and eat some veg. Call 111 if worried

sheshootssheimplores Wed 14-Aug-19 09:38:12

I do intermittent fasting and lots of people do keto. I am equally as successful allowing myself some carbs and fruit and veg.

Rhinosaurus Wed 14-Aug-19 09:38:27

Look up hypernatremia, you have too high a concentration of sodium content in your blood.

Pork scratchings on a diet?

HeadintheiClouds Wed 14-Aug-19 09:40:08

I’m really surprised all that salt water didn’t act as an emetic hmm

imnewherethisisme Wed 14-Aug-19 09:41:14

I've been doing keto & not had to drink salt water, I just add a little more salt than I normally would to my food. You only have to add the salt (to food) if you're drinking lots of water which prevents you going into ketosis because lots of plain water is going to dilute electrolytes etc.
If you're worried phone your GP surgery for a phone appointment.

Rivkka Wed 14-Aug-19 09:41:26

If it's your first day of keto you might feel like shit from no carbs.

Stop drinking salt water though, that isn't necessary and it's not recommended.

Jessbow Wed 14-Aug-19 09:41:45

Maximum daily intake of salt is 7g

You have clearly taken on much more than that.

I cannot imagine what a Dr can do or say other than ''Flush it out of your system''

FiveFarthings Wed 14-Aug-19 09:43:28

Where have you got this diet plan from? I’ve heard of keto and know someone who does it and he doesn’t drink salt water. This really doesn’t sound safe. Also there is more to electrolytes than just drinking a teaspoon of table salt in water, I’m no expert but that doesn’t sound right. Maybe call 111 and see what they say.

Kam610 Wed 14-Aug-19 09:45:17

High sodium levels in your blood can be quite dangerous. I would call for some advice.

MargoLovebutter Wed 14-Aug-19 09:45:44

You can get electrolyte deficiencies when you first start keto, but it isn't just sodium, it is also magnesium, potassium and calcium too. Are you taking a proper supplement?

You don't have to eat weird salty shit on keto, you are just looking to cut carbs right back. How about trying to incorporate a lot more salad and vegetables and less of the highly concentrated salty foods?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »