Talk

Advanced search

How to get my OH to go to A&E?

(100 Posts)
Mummyto1little1 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:02:25

Posting for traffic sorry!

Earlier me and OH took LO out and somehow he managed to trip over and hit his hand. He didn't complain it hurts he was just laughing.

I touched the hand earlier not knowing it hurt and he told me to stop because it hurt.

He can bend his fingers but only slightly.

I've told him to go the A&E but he said no he will be fine and he doesn't want to waste there time.

Also he Hates hospitals anyway.

How do I get him to go?

TokyoSushi Tue 13-Aug-19 23:04:19

It's quite late to go now, I'd probably strap it up with a bandage and reassess in the morning.

Turniptracker Tue 13-Aug-19 23:05:15

It's probably bruised and tender. Not a&e worthy

Nicknacky Tue 13-Aug-19 23:08:10

He’s an adult. Leave him be and if he needs to go he will.

Hecateh Tue 13-Aug-19 23:10:27

He probably does need to get it seen by a doctor but I suspect (guess only) leaving it overnight will not make it worse and will mean he can be seen by someone qualified more quickly tomorrow morning. Also if it is causing pain and disrupting sleep, he is more likely to be amenable to an A&E visit in the morning.
Whilst this is only a guess, pushing now will likely make him more resistant, whilst accepting now will make it easier for him to accept A&E in the morning.
Good luck, either way,

HollaHolla Tue 13-Aug-19 23:10:43

I think this is more of a minor injuries thing. They can X-ray him there too. Maybe you can go together tomorrow, if he’s a bit fearful.

TriciaH87 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:13:40

I know someone who recently did similliar. They had broken some bones in their hand. It was in a splint for a while. If his still unable to move it ice it for now and try to bandage it to keep it still. Then tell him I n morning to get it looked at if it's still not any better.

dollydaydream114 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:17:20

He should get it looked at tomorrow if it's still bad, but a walk-in centre or minor injuries clinic should be the first port of call, not A&E.

Lwmommy Tue 13-Aug-19 23:29:46

Couple of years ago, I fell and basically punched the floor as I landed. Thought pain was normal nd it would sort itself out.

Several days later went to A&E and I'd broken the end off of my 5th metacarpal, needed a screw put in my hand, also had an avulsion fracture in my ring finger. Months of weekly physio and my finger still doesn't fully straighten.

I was told a good test for a break in the hand/wrist is to try to grip something like a handlebar, if you can't it's a strong sign of a break.

Mummyto1little1 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:30:49

I know he's an adult but I doubt he will go on his own especially as he said he will be fine

I put a bandage around it. And I told him he doesn't have to act tough and he doesn't have to hide it if he's in pain.

Minor injuries is over 10 miles away.

Balladenny Tue 13-Aug-19 23:32:16

Minor injuries in the morning. It doesn’t need A and E, and I’m sure getting a proper night’s sleep first won’t make any difference to the outcome.

MyOtherProfile Tue 13-Aug-19 23:32:38

Is it the hand or the fingers? Even if he broke his fingers they wouldn't do anything other than strap them together.

PurpleWithRed Tue 13-Aug-19 23:35:04

Drop it for a day or two, let him decide to go for himself. If it’s still painful and he cant move it properly in a couple of days wont he sneak off and get it looked at? from what I understand (Im not medical) a day or two wont make a huge difference. In the meantime some good old Rest Ice Comfysupport Elevation and ibuprofen will help.

Runkle Tue 13-Aug-19 23:35:12

10 miles? And? It's a better use of stretched NHS resources than A&E.

Karigan195 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:38:06

He doesn’t need a&e for that. Ice it then go to minors in the morning

Balladenny Tue 13-Aug-19 23:38:22

Minor injuries is over 10 miles away

You must live in a city to think 10 miles is far. It really isn’t.

A and E is for emergencies. A couple of broken fingers isn’t an emergency, and should be treated at either a Minor Injuries unit or an Urgent Care Centre, if you have one near you.

HollaHolla Tue 13-Aug-19 23:38:59

10 miles shouldn’t be an issue. Surely public transport goes nearby? We’re 17 miles from the nearest A&E - thanks Tories.
Minor injuries in the morning, I would reiterate.

MsJaneAusten Tue 13-Aug-19 23:42:57

Minor injuries is over 10 miles away
That’s really not far and can’t be part of your decision. If it’s an emergency (it’s not) go to A&E. If it’s not, go to Minor Injuries. He’ll be treated much more quickly and not be using an emergency service someone else might need more.

Fatted Tue 13-Aug-19 23:47:40

My nearest hospital is 10 miles away! Do you live over the road from the hospital or something?

Personally, I would only bother with A&E at this time of night if I thought I was going to die. He'll be in there all bloody night waiting to get seen. It can wait until the morning, he can get some sleep and ring the GP for advice or go to minors.

Speakercube Tue 13-Aug-19 23:48:24

When he's in pain/cant use it then he will go. Save your energy imo.

nutellalove Tue 13-Aug-19 23:52:36

Going against the grain. Broke a finger a few years ago. Was tempted to sleep on it and wait till morning as was unsure if it was broken but my housemate insisted we go to the minor injuries as i couldn't move it. It was 11pm- X-ray confirmed a break and the nurse said leaving it even a day or so without a splint can cause problems if it's displaced. Really depends how bad it is... if you think it could possibly be broken I would go tonight

MyOtherProfile Tue 13-Aug-19 23:54:21

But they don't need to go if they can do that at home. If they can strap it up, preferably to a strip of wood, they don't need a and e.

MoreFrog Tue 13-Aug-19 23:56:23

I wouldn't go to A&E with what you describe. As pps have suggested, get a night's sleep and go to minor injuries in the morning. Btw, my nearest minor injuries walk in is 17 miles away.

Mummyto1little1 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:59:17

It's 33miles from our house (just looked on maps) but it will probably be more as will have to drop son of with partners dad so I can take partner (he doesn't drive and probably couldn't anyway).

I'll ask him in the morning if he wants to go.

saraclara Tue 13-Aug-19 23:59:35

A&E at 11:30pm with that injury? No. really, no.

a) It will be hell, you'll be there forever, and even if it's broken they'll say come back in the morning for fracture clinic.

b) Do you know how rushed off their feet A&E staff are at 11:30pm? This sort of injury really isn't what they're there for.

Ice pack, and minor injuries in the morning.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »