Talk

Advanced search

Not to want the summer holidays to end?

(100 Posts)
Holibobz Tue 13-Aug-19 22:22:48

There are 3 weeks left until my two go back to school. I’d just rather they didn’t. I hate the crazy routine of term times, rushing on the school run, constant pressure to get to after school activities, plus homework to complete. Even having to see all the other parents again makes me feel grumpy. My dc love school and are doing well, I just enjoy the relaxed holiday times.

Mother87 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:27:14

Those days are long gone for me tbh... but yes I always felt really sad when they went back every September - all the freedom over the summer/no rushing/wearing whatever they felt like (especially after hols and were still finding sand in their shoesgrin)... and then suddenly the uniform would rear its ugly head/hair would have to be tidied etc etc and another summer was gone & life was racing on...

Holibobz Tue 13-Aug-19 22:38:06

Oh god the uniforms, so much name labelling to do! That’s another reason to want the hols to continue.

Wakemeuuuup Tue 13-Aug-19 22:42:06

I agree. Can't stand the idea of the routine starting again

formerbabe Tue 13-Aug-19 22:44:22

Your DC must be well behaved op...mine are driving me nuts!

sheshootssheimplores Tue 13-Aug-19 22:45:09

God I can’t wait! 😬

Vibiano Tue 13-Aug-19 22:45:59

YANBU

Doje Tue 13-Aug-19 22:47:07

Me too OP! DC1 has just finished reception and I've really enjoyed having him around again and not just because he entertains DC2. I'm also enjoying the break in routine and being able to stay a little longer in PJs in the morning!

Yesitsdyed Tue 13-Aug-19 22:47:13

I don’t want the hols to end 😩. I’m seriously thinking about homeschooling 😬.

flowerstar19 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:47:24

My eldest starts school in September and I am dreading it! For all the reasons you mention, plus worrying about how he will get on and the fact that I am really going to miss him!

PumpkinP Tue 13-Aug-19 22:47:58

I can’t wait! but then I’m on my own with 4 children and I don’t get one break at all in the 6 weeks, I want them back at school now 😩

Mychitchatdays Tue 13-Aug-19 22:50:07

Kids go back on Thursday. It's been a long summer. So excited to get a minute to breath.

Sunbeam18 Tue 13-Aug-19 22:50:47

Finding all the extra childcare is a nightmare! I love the holidays when I'm off too but sadly can't take 6 weeks off work!

formerbabe Tue 13-Aug-19 22:51:51

I can’t wait! but then I’m on my own with 4 children and I don’t get one break at all in the 6 weeks

I can't wait either...and I only have two!

I really need an hour or so peace and quiet.

My ds especially buzzes round me constantly...it's exhausting

Holibobz Tue 13-Aug-19 22:57:03

I’m lucky both dc are fairy well behaved and can entertain themselves and each other if needed, plus I’m not working so no childcare to juggle. I will enjoy having a bit of time to myself back but the exhausting routine is just not much fun.

Josephinebettany Tue 13-Aug-19 22:57:47

I feel exactly the same op. The thoughts of back to school makes me so sad. I love our lazy relaxing mornings. I love them playing out the back with no shoes. I love planning our days out and our next adventure. I love having them around all the time. I hate the crazy morning rush and making school lunch. Count down to next summer confused

DCIRozHuntley Tue 13-Aug-19 23:00:31

I love the school holidays too.

However there is a freshness and excitement to September - new shoes, neat and tidy uniforms, the promise of new experiences...

I'm really upset mine will only get 5 weeks next year. In term time it can be so hard as school really get the best of them. They're all still young so are too tired after school to do much. Saturday and Sunday together isn't enough imo.

Enjoy the 3 weeks left- I think I have nearly 4 as we broke up really late this year.

GeraldTippett Tue 13-Aug-19 23:04:00

School holidays just make my life harder. I work full time, so holiday clubs which have shorter hours than normal school times with wraparound care, just means I'm rushing all the time, constantly late and apologetic to everyone - not just work and colleagues but my kids as well.

My two boys play together nicely. Until they don't. Then it's horrible, they're shouty, I'm stressed and don't have the money to throw at lots of lovely activities to entertain them with. All they want to do anyway is play on screens and limiting that but trying to come up with alternatives that they'll engage with and enjoy is a real struggle.

I hate not loving the holidays, but the sad fact is, life is just easier for us all during term time.

Knitwit99 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:06:21

Mine go back tomorrow. (Scotland)
I am counting the minutes. I have not enjoyed this holiday at all.

theministryhasfallen Tue 13-Aug-19 23:06:24

If you all as a family thrive without the school run, you could look into home education?

ZenNudist Tue 13-Aug-19 23:08:57

Yeah its great if you are a SAHM. Its been OK this year as ive got the holidays sorted now but its not particularly relaxed and the kids could do with some routine rather than being spoilt by GPs, days out with me and exhausting and expensive holiday clubs.

Kids done 2 weeks of forest school and everything covered in mud! Am washing round the clock.

Am fed up of being asked for TV. Have finally decided against dc3 because aaaargh, 2 is enough. I haven't had my usually non work day with dc at school to swim and get a massage. I know, Im spoilt but, hard as the treadmill of extra curricular activities is, holidays are fine but its good they end!

formerbabe Tue 13-Aug-19 23:11:17

Yeah its great if you are a SAHM

Sahm here..I can assure you it's not great! It's really intense, relentless and exhausting

Holibobz Tue 13-Aug-19 23:11:48

Love the idea of home ed, and kind of wish I’d been more clued up before they started school, think I could have managed to yr 3. But not sure I could keep up now, my 90’s education left a lot to be desired. They both love school. Just me that doesn’t.

TeamUnicorn Tue 13-Aug-19 23:12:30

We need the routine in our house, so no sadness here when the holidays end.

BellyButton85 Tue 13-Aug-19 23:17:21

Oh I cant wait for the school summer holidays to end! My children are under school age and we can go back to peace at the park/soft play etc. My lack of being around school aged children for years makes me very irritable around them. The shreaking and the roughness causes me meltdowns nevermind my toddlers

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »