Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask who is the worst performer/group you've seen live?

(842 Posts)
Weston14 Mon 12-Aug-19 01:17:16

Following on from a (very late-to-the-party) discussion about this year's Glasto with some friends over dinner tonight, where we all decided Lauryn Hill was an absolute let down, who is the worst performer or group you've ever seen live? Especially thinking of people you really liked who let you down here, not just "was dragged to see Take That with DSis and they were shite" grin

If you're not much of a music fan I suppose this stretches to comedians, actors, poets...anyone who gets up on stage and does a turn.

managedmis Mon 12-Aug-19 01:19:08

Michel Flatley

Absolutely awful

y0rkier0se Mon 12-Aug-19 01:20:13

Saw Blondie at V Fest about 6 years ago and it was a really unpleasant experience. Now I only hear her voice as it was then, not how she used to sound.

Weston14 Mon 12-Aug-19 01:23:31

@y0rkier0se I can vouch for that too, such a shame (though it hasn't quite taken the lustre off the old records for me, they are still fab)

Pieceofpurplesky Mon 12-Aug-19 01:38:40

An ex took me to see Rush. They were worse than shit.

NomDeQwerty Mon 12-Aug-19 01:42:22

Tie between Ross Noble and Stephen Merchant. We left in the interval for RN and would have done the same for SM but he didn't have an interval (short set - and it was dire)

Sashkin Mon 12-Aug-19 01:51:28

Lauryn Hill is often shit live, unfortunately. I’ve seen her twice and she was shambolic with a voice like sandpaper both times. Crack addiction will do that to you.

La Tiga at Sonar were horrendous - came on almost an hour late, stropped about how unprofessional the sound crew were (like we care, and it hadn’t affected anyone else so seemed like a crappy excuse to us), played two songs and left. There was nearly a riot.

James Murphy from LCD Soundsystem doing a DJ set, I think also at Sonar but might have been a different festival - came on off his face, rambled on incomprehensibly for a bit, fell over, carried off, end of set.

NoShitHemlock Mon 12-Aug-19 01:55:18

Madonna in Paris about a million years ago - she was woeful.

21 Pilots this year (or as I like to call them "74 Aviators"). Perhaps its just an age thing (took DD13) but ye gods every single song sounded exactly the same.

On the other hand Rick Astley last year was amazing. Yup - definitely showing my age blush

R2G Mon 12-Aug-19 02:02:28

Oasis

gwenneh Mon 12-Aug-19 02:03:28

Rob Zombie. There’s a sound that only lives in the studio.

RubbingHimSourly Mon 12-Aug-19 02:06:34

First time I saw Metallica at Glasgow was absolute shite. A huge let down from start to finish, the venue and atmosphere were all wrong........saw them again this year in Manchester and was blown away. A completely different experience.

darkcloudsandsunnyskies Mon 12-Aug-19 02:07:41

It is better to remember the best group or performance.

Everyone has an off day.

Why are you so negative and spreading it around.

avamiah Mon 12-Aug-19 02:13:45

I took my daughter (9) to see Britney at the O2 London a couple of years ago as she was a big fan.
Paid over the odds for tickets and had a good seat , however nobody sits down but it was reasonably close to stage ( ground level ) .
Anyway she doesn’t sing live at all , it’s all dancing and costume changes but the show is amazing as in stage show but it’s sad how she didn’t sing one song live and she only spoke a few words.
Unbelievable how much promotion and music videos made her .

ILoveCrunchyAutumnLeaves Mon 12-Aug-19 02:25:45

Emma Bunton saw her live twice & it was truly awful, but love her spirit, personality & song choices.

ILoveCrunchyAutumnLeaves Mon 12-Aug-19 02:26:46

As a DJ (apologies on night shift).

ReanimatedSGB Mon 12-Aug-19 02:34:47

Ooh, I've seen loads of shit bands - usually small scale bands at small scale gigs and they mean well but they're just crap. But when it comes to better known bands having an off day... the Black Crowes at the Phoenix festival - hours of stoned jamming to the point that pretty much the whole crowd was going, just play Hard to Handle and fuck off. Marilyn Manson at Milton Keynes; probably sulking because Placebo had just been on and owned the , so he played for about 10 minutes, smacked his drummer and run off crying.

JohnMayersGuitar Mon 12-Aug-19 02:34:52

Most disappointing for me was Oasis in Spain around 2009 - they were on the verge of splitting & clearly hated each other! They managed about three songs and then Liam stormed off - I was so upset as I loved them but clearly they had major issues - just wish I'd seen them earlier .. oh and OP - Take That ALWAYS put on an amazing show grin

StitchingMoss Mon 12-Aug-19 02:38:33

Ardal O’Hanlon was dreadful in stand up. Such a disappointment sad

Owlpoorlypaw Mon 12-Aug-19 02:44:15

Oasis for me too, definitely. Much more fun watching the audience who were well oiled! About 2006 I think JohnMayersGuitar so you didn’t miss too much!

avamiah Mon 12-Aug-19 02:46:21

StitchingMoss,
Oh that’s so disappointing to hear as I’ve always wanted to see him live .

Greyeye Mon 12-Aug-19 02:59:26

Deacon Blue. God, they were horrific. Dreadful vocals.

Time40 Mon 12-Aug-19 03:02:09

Pink Floyd (years ago, in the 90s) were very disappointing. They had no energy at all, and didn't bother to try to connect with audience. It was like watching a bunch of old men reading The Times - and they weren't that old, then.

David Sylvian was so awful that I walked out - really strange choice of songs; I think he was playing new stuff that no one knew, and it wasn't good new stuff.

Foslady Mon 12-Aug-19 03:18:34

Surprised that a PP said Ross Nobel - dd and I went to see him last year and we thought he was fantastic

TooManyPups Mon 12-Aug-19 03:20:39

Went to a festival in Belgium mainlylooking forward to seeing nine inch nails... Terrible stage presence and was totally disappointed... Skunk anansie and prodigy more than made up for it though for me.

cantfindname Mon 12-Aug-19 03:48:38

Very surprisingly, Hugh Fearnly-Whitingstall. We wet to a country fair because Hugh F-W was something of a hero of mine and he was giving a talk. Went to get a drink with friend and her small daughter Small child was stung by a wasp as we queued, and crying loudly, when HF-W blundered out of the beer tent, definitely the worse for wear; he walked straight into friend (who was crouching down) and her daughter then tutted loudly and carried on! No apology, not asking if they were ok, zero empathy or toleration at all.

We decided he isn't actually the nice man we thought him to be.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »