Talk

Advanced search

Hamleys demo lady left dd 6 in tears.

(618 Posts)
Bornfreebutinbiscuits Sun 11-Aug-19 10:16:55

Summer hols day out, theatre and hamleys.

Having fun trying all the toys on display and v small budget to buy a toy.

Older dd goes to lady for hand tattoo. I asked younger if she wanted one she was shy and said no. However once older has one she wants one. So she gets in position and very curtly lady says 'no. Its not a freebie for all children it's a demo. I can't do another child' no smiles, no kindness and she looked as hard as nails as dd face crumpled and starts to cry.

Not a big cry! In the past they have always dine both dc, in hamleys and harrods.
And we have actually brought the set into the past but it's the fun and part of the toy shop experience to have something done there!

Not the experience I expected from hamleys of all places. Or was she right!

MorganKitten Tue 20-Aug-19 01:36:21

Also that pp don't agree that the demos and freebies are all part and parcel of the general experience. Interesting!

It’s not, the demos yes, freebies no. Worked there as a teen and freebies are never seen as a given or must do by management.

whogoncheckmeBoo Mon 19-Aug-19 23:03:30

Well that got interesting shock

FelicisNox Mon 19-Aug-19 22:39:20

YABVU and you're teaching your children poor habits with your attitude.

Buck up.

origamiunicorn Wed 14-Aug-19 19:14:00

To be honest even if it wasn't OP (I think it was) her attitude to retail staff just shows what type of person she is.

Aridane Wed 14-Aug-19 19:10:52

I am 6 year old DD. Mummy made me cry in Hamleys because she shouted and said bad words to the nice tattoo lady

origamiunicorn Wed 14-Aug-19 19:09:39

I'm Spartacus!

leghairdontcare Wed 14-Aug-19 19:02:40

Omg I was there too! And so was my wife!

CarolDanvers Wed 14-Aug-19 18:58:13

Not horrified enough to step in and protect that poor young girl who was brought to tears by the vicious drubbing though.

Sure hmm

WomblingBy Wed 14-Aug-19 18:05:35

@rohilda

Please could you tell us a bit more about the lady you saw? What was she saying that was so rude to the demo girl during the 1st tattoo and how the demo girl refuse the 2nd one?

Aridane Wed 14-Aug-19 18:03:56

Whenever I read a poor customer service story on Mumsnet I always wonder what the other side of the story is!

Indeed!

rohilda Wed 14-Aug-19 17:58:35

@Bornfreebutinbiscuits
I really hope it wasn’t you because although I didn’t say anything on the day, I’m horrified to think that someone who tore that demo girl to pieces can come on here to play the victim.

HeadintheiClouds Wed 14-Aug-19 17:08:11

Seriously? The op responding that if such a dramatic, vicious response did happen it only goes to show you how awful the Hamleys customer service is doesn’t tell you anything?!
😂😂😂

AdelaideK Wed 14-Aug-19 16:59:32

Its not confirmation bias as it wasn't rohildas post that made me believe this frankly bizarre tale. It was the ops response to rohilda.

Moomin8 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:57:24

Rohilda doesn't have any previous posting history and sounds way too up-in-arms to be real.

WomblingBy Wed 14-Aug-19 16:35:54

@rohilda

Pleeeease come back and tell us more! 🙏🏼

CarolDanvers Wed 14-Aug-19 16:32:08

Interesting how OP was pulled to pieces and her account scorned but then Rohilda swoops and is believed instantly.

Confirmation bias anyone?

Moomin8 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:30:56

I'm not sure about the whole thread now tbh.

Bluntness100 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:29:15

😂

Moomin8 Wed 14-Aug-19 16:21:12

Hang on, how can anyone know by her response that the op was abusive?

Bluntness100 Wed 14-Aug-19 15:38:38

The ops quote on how a vicious response shows how bad hamleys is is simply her way of justifying why she was verbally abusive in a toy store in front of small kids.

It's never ok to start shouting and swearing at people in this context, particularly not in a toy shop in front of young kids.

WeirdAndPissedOff Wed 14-Aug-19 15:03:33

Well, Rohilda has definitely over-egged her responses! But this

However, if someone did have such a dramatic, vicious response to a demo person in hamleys, I think it shows just how awful the customer service has become and perhaps we were even lucky with our incident.

is also off the mark.
I'll often listen in if a nearby customer is complaining. If they're calm and sensible I'll often wonder if their comments are worth taking on board (particularly if I'm about to purchase an item or order food), but as soon as they start shouting, swearing, being nasty or dramatic etc their point is utterly lost. Usually the various staff and customers are exchanging looks of sympathy or that say "one of those", and it puts the complainer immediately in the wrong.

PriestessModwena Wed 14-Aug-19 14:58:20

Final point, you already had the kit, so that demo person wasn't going to make anything from you, were they? Did it not cross your mind to say we already have this, so I'll do you a super one when we get home.

OK with C/S the idea is bright / bubbly / lovely. How do you know that she wasn't feeling absolutely rotten, but knew if she didn't turn up, she wouldn't have a job the next day. Or she had some other worries, in the 10 minutes painting DD2 she could miss actual sales, as parents can't wait / children get bored waiting.

It's a strange hypothesis I know, people having rough days.

Fair enough be a bit miffed if you want, knock yourself out! What did you expect you would be told by other MN posters? I'm wondering what you're MO is, as in what you want to achieve. If you feel that strongly email Hamleys. I'm sure they'll tell you that such persons are independent. Do you really want someone potentially losing their job though?

Just think about all the variables.

PriestessModwena Wed 14-Aug-19 14:46:57

gringringrin

I was tempted to say please get in touch with a newspaper, so you & DD can pull your best traumatised faces, plus you looking angry whilst consoling DD, with her looking upset. Thus Hamleys crazily conceding and giving you a voucher so you can afford their prices. (Thinking What has the world come to!)

PriestessModwena Wed 14-Aug-19 14:41:32

I'm really not understanding the premise, maybe years ago when toys were a new thing, demonstrations were rife.

We discovered by ourselves that taking DC food shopping would involve them seeing the toy aisle, so the compromise was, if you're good whilst shopping you get something.

We wouldn't think, we're in London, with amazing free museums, that will have free educational activities. Not to mention other activities being put on over the summer. I wonder what we could get for free in Harrods or Hamleys.

At one location we went to, we were offered something to try, the man said the sample is for both of you.

It seems really entitled to expect freebies, when realistically tattoo lady isn't wanting to show off her skills, she wants you to buy the product. By trying a product DC doesn't become a walking advertisement. She has received a kind gift from a woman who is likely panicking how her bills will be met.

I recognise the tattoo lady has a job, the more she sells, the more likely she can pay bills / rent / food. If I know we won't be buying then there's not much point in wasting the persons time, a child's expectations and our sanity having a sulking / crying child.

DC were taught as soon as they could comprehend, you earn treats, you don't get what you want because you want it. Sometimes Mum & Dad can't afford it, so even if we wanted to we can't. Strangely they've always comprehended this, never really asked for anything, unless we said here's £5 to get something with.

I knew a grown adult that I expect your children to grow up like. If there was anything free, anywhere, they would go mental and try and get as much as humanly possible, much to our horror. Even in Harrods at the fancy fruit & nut section, the sales person offered one sample, they pretty much sampled everything before walking off. Mortified doesn't cover how embarrassing it was. It was almost like they had a beacon for free stuff, in certain stores, the person watching over samples has the expectation adults have the common decency not to go oh God that's nice, I'm starving, picking up several more samples before walking off. Yuk!

WomblingBy Wed 14-Aug-19 14:28:45

@rohilda

In what way was the OP rude during the first demo? Also, how did the demonstrator refuse the 2nd tattoo? How did the supervisor deal with the situation?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »