Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is DP about school bags?

(465 Posts)
expatinspain Mon 05-Aug-19 20:52:41

DP doesn't think we should buy DD a new school bag just because it's a new school year, he thinks it's a waste of money as the old one isn't broken. I disagree. Her old bag isn't broken as such, zip still works etc, but it's definitely a bit shabby. It's a black emoji rucksack and the colour looks faded and she's not the tidiest of kids, so the inside is far from new. I think unless the bag is still in really good condition, a new school year should mean a new bag. My family were pretty poor and we didn't really have school bags, but i always got a new lunchbox and a new pencil case every school year. I used to look forward to it as a kid! AIBU or is he?

MiniCooperLover Mon 05-Aug-19 20:53:58

What does the child them self think? I'm inclined to say fling it in the washing machine.

steff13 Mon 05-Aug-19 20:54:39

If you have the money, I'd get her a new bag.

YippeeKayakOtherBuckets Mon 05-Aug-19 20:55:46

You are. It’s utterly wasteful. Just give it a clean fgs.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Mon 05-Aug-19 20:56:43

Washing machine. It’s not justifiable to landfill a bag because it’s a bit scruffy.

EmrysAtticus Mon 05-Aug-19 20:57:08

Very wasteful to automatically buy new. Bung in washing machine and it will look much better. Once it is actually broken then buy a new one.

Ohyesiam Mon 05-Aug-19 20:57:25

I try to balance the desire for new with not wasting resources. It sounds like it functions, so maybe let it carry on into the next school year.

SleepingStandingUp Mon 05-Aug-19 20:57:52

Well I'd wash it in the washing machine and see how it goes. Does she want a new bag? How much would you normally spend on a new bag? Does she get pocket money to save up for her own?

TinchyP Mon 05-Aug-19 20:58:05

Where will the old one go? In landfill presumably.

electricmoogaloo Mon 05-Aug-19 20:58:21

Washing machine and buy a new one when it breaks. I really don’t understand the current throwaway society.

icelollycraving Mon 05-Aug-19 20:58:40

Always a new bag for a new school year. Ds has the emoji backpack. It has had it.

adaline Mon 05-Aug-19 20:59:01

Just wash it, surely?

YABU. Wasteful to get a new one unless it's necessary.

Gardai Mon 05-Aug-19 20:59:06

It depends if she cares, ask her ! She’s the one who has to wear it - if you have the money for a new one of course.

Blue7 Mon 05-Aug-19 20:59:33

If you can afford it I would get her a new one and give the old one to charity.

Sirzy Mon 05-Aug-19 20:59:43

Ds got a school bag at the start of year 3. He is going into year 5 and it’s perfectly fine it’s been through the washing machine a good few times but to replace it just because would be wasteful.

ZenNudist Mon 05-Aug-19 21:00:06

Nope new year old bag unless its broken or they're on their fifth year of peppa pig and do actually deserve an upgrade.

cottonwoolsnowmen Mon 05-Aug-19 21:01:20

A new pencil case each year is not equivalent to a new rucksack every year.

Tweetingmagpie Mon 05-Aug-19 21:02:22

Mine get everything new at the beginning of every school year, so did I as a child, I thought it was the norm! And I have 5 at school!

dementedpixie Mon 05-Aug-19 21:02:35

Both mine are reusing school bags and pencil cases this year (their choice). Dd has had hers the last 3 years I think

edwinbear Mon 05-Aug-19 21:04:48

YABVU. What an absolute waste if it’s still useable.

CostaIce Mon 05-Aug-19 21:05:54

I buy new here every year too.

And sometimes one halfway through the year if they see one they like or if I think it’s looking to scruffy I just bin it and get new.

WhatHaveIFound Mon 05-Aug-19 21:05:57

DS is going into his fourth year of senior school with the same bag he started with. I can't understand why you'd throw away something which is still usable. JUst give it a clean.

What does your DD think? Has she asked for a new one?

adaline Mon 05-Aug-19 21:06:36

Mine get everything new at the beginning of every school year

What an utter waste of money! Why on earth would you get rid of perfectly good things just because it's now September?

Sceptre86 Mon 05-Aug-19 21:06:51

I would buy new but use the old one for her P.E kit or as an overnight bag for sleepovers.

Sirzy Mon 05-Aug-19 21:07:17

Some of the views here do show what a throw away culture we have in this country. No wonder we have so much waste!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »