Talk

Advanced search

Not a single family member has sent my DD a birthday card

(32 Posts)
NAB3 Thu 02-Aug-07 10:26:11

She is 4 today.
Admittedly I don't know if the post is just late but they are so rubbish at sending my kids cards and we send to everyone.

LIZS Thu 02-Aug-07 10:27:10

Isn't there a delivery strike today ?

NAB3 Thu 02-Aug-07 10:27:59

You are joking????

dal21 Thu 02-Aug-07 10:28:50

everything going awol in the post recently. we havent had any for days!

flowerybeanbag Thu 02-Aug-07 10:29:14

they probably have NAB, there is a post strike, I haven't had any post in days.

bozza Thu 02-Aug-07 10:29:41

Yes unfortunately I think there is a 2 day strike.

LIZS Thu 02-Aug-07 10:29:44

Limited deliveries today , sorry

Oblomov Thu 02-Aug-07 10:30:01

The strike is today. We have had no post at work today. Surely your relatives could have accounted for this.

GreebosWhiskers Thu 02-Aug-07 10:30:59

Don't know where you live NAB23 but I vaguely remember hearing on the radio yesterday that us Scots were advised not to post anything for 24 hours as there was an impromptu strike announced for Glasgow & Edinburgh sorting offices - maybe the strike has snowballed?

Your poor DD - tell her happy birthday from the GW household.

oliveoil Thu 02-Aug-07 10:32:20

we had a strike yesterday, back to normal today

my sister had a birthday last week, my card turned up 2 days late, my mums has been lost

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

WendyWeber Thu 02-Aug-07 10:32:25

Surely you can tell from the OP that everyone isn't on top of the news all the time, Oblomov

I didn't know either

NAB3 Thu 02-Aug-07 10:32:56

No links are working for me today. We live in Kent.

MhamaiJane Thu 02-Aug-07 10:32:57

I live in Ireland NAB3 so don't know re postal strike but happy birthday to your dd. I told my ds 6 and he said "poor girl" and wants to wish her a happy birthday too, oh and can he come to her party?

NAB3 Thu 02-Aug-07 10:33:44

No party but thank you all for the lovely wishes!!

WendyWeber Thu 02-Aug-07 10:34:30

From Liz's link, NAB:

<<Industrial Action Update

Despite our best efforts and those of ACAS, to resolve the current industrial dispute, the strike action continues. The current round of strikes are not on a national basis but affect different parts of Royal Mail’s business on different days. These are set to continue until 12 noon on Wednesday 8th August.

What this means for you

The situation is complex, but our assessment of the strike for the remainder of this week is:

We regret that there will be limited delivery services on Thursday 2nd August
Collections on Thursday 2nd August will be limited to a single collection from post boxes outside of Post Offices. These collections may be earlier than the normal advertised times
We will do all we can to delivery Special Delivery items, but Special Delivery guarantees, for both the 9am service and the Next Day service, will be suspended for items due to be delivered on Thursday 2nd August
Parcelforce Worldwide’s guaranteed services will remain unaffected
Royal Mail’s Branch Direct, Sameday and Door to Door services remain unaffected
All other mail services will be subject to delay>>

so they probably have sent stuff

Hope your DD enjoys her birthday anyway!

NAB3 Thu 02-Aug-07 10:35:21

Thanks for that. I wouldn't mind but my kids get such few family cards anyway.........

RGPargy Thu 02-Aug-07 10:36:21

Nab3 - I live in Kent too and our post is very sporadic. Haven't had anything for about 3 days now and we normally get something every day!

Hope your lovely DD had a great birthday!

NAB3 Fri 03-Aug-07 13:59:42

Well, we have had post today and no one in my husbands family has sent a card. Her grand parents and great grandma brought one to the party.

WendyWeber Fri 03-Aug-07 14:05:43

Don't give up hope yet, NAB - the post is very unreliable at the moment, and stuff is going missing too (twinset started a thread about it a few days ago, I'll link to it in a minute).

In fact given that, why not ring and ask? Say you're worried that something they sent may have gone astray with the disruption.

WendyWeber Fri 03-Aug-07 14:07:43

here

lemonaid Fri 03-Aug-07 14:14:35

Mine all arrived about three days late in the middle of last month -- and I know they were posted in plenty of time, and we had had some post on the intervening days. I think the strikes in various areas have just messed things up.

NAB3 Fri 03-Aug-07 14:16:36

I would ask my MIL but I doubt she would know if anyone has sent a card. Plus I complained that hardly any family sent my son a card which caused her to cry. And she's not talking to me. Wish I'd known. Would have bought her loads of cards myself.

Katy44 Fri 03-Aug-07 14:17:30

We seem to get nothing for days and loads at once. And it was extremely late today - it's normally late morning but this was 2pm!!

motherinferior Fri 03-Aug-07 14:31:36

Mr Inferior - who is 42 today - has received precisely one card, a week ago, from his Organised Aunty Yvonne. Admittedly I have no idea if his brothers have sent him cards, but the box of handmade chocolates from the Inferiorettes - which left its makers on Wednesday - hasn't arrived.

WendyWeber Fri 03-Aug-07 16:55:27

Oh, god bless organised aunties - I used to have one of those

One year her postman nicked all her birthday cards ; she had no hesitation in asking us if we'd sent her something, and then beetled off to the PO to make a complaint about him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now