Talk

Advanced search

To think that no one is taking me seriously?

(156 Posts)
HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Tue 23-Jul-19 23:38:58

I'm 30. I'm a bit of a medical wonder - according to my GP - one of those people where anything is possible medically speaking lol. Over the last few months I seem to have developed intolerances/allergies to something/s. After eating some foods I experience gastro problems/random hives and throat spasms.

It is happening more and more often. My DP got a bit pissed with me earlier when I said it was happening and said "You can't be allergic to everything" hmm. I said to him "Well no but it's possible I'm allergic to one thing that I keep exposing myself to".

My parents are also taking the whole "It's anxiety" route. DP also said to me this evening "When you had a panic attack earlier" I was like angry WTH? I had actual, real, physical hives come up!

Bambamber Tue 23-Jul-19 23:41:35

Have you tried a food diary? If it seems random have you heard of mast cell disease?

Aquamarine1029 Tue 23-Jul-19 23:47:45

Gastro issues, hives and throat tightening/spasms ARE symptoms of anxiety, op. I think you need to keep an open mind and start documenting everything you eat and how you are feeling throughout the day. Anxiety can come out of nowhere for no particular reason. It is simply a rush of hormones. How old are you?

Highandlow Tue 23-Jul-19 23:57:19

Anxiety can cause this, I should know I am a hypochondriac myself (much better now actually ). I would get a blood test. I had a private one was great. Am allergic to cats and grass, which is what I thought.

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:08:45

@Highandlow I am allergic to grass too. A respiratory Dr did a random blood test a few years back. Where did you get your test?

@Aquamarine1029 I am 30. I take beta blockers for tachycardia so technically don't experience anxiety/panic attacks. Some foods I can eat fine - bread and pastry type things and my throat is spasming and I get like a nauseated feeling a bit like gagging.

@Bambamber I have heard of that yeah. I have been keeping a diary - bread and pastry seem to be two of the triggers

Lolwhat Wed 24-Jul-19 00:15:11

Research mast cell disease

merlotqueen Wed 24-Jul-19 00:15:19

Do you enjoy being a medical wonder with the 'lol', as that is a medical condition in itself?

HeadintheiClouds Wed 24-Jul-19 00:17:19

What is “one of those people where anything is possible medically speaking (lol)”?
Have you been diagnosed with anything?

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:23:43

@HeadintheiClouds I have quite a few rare congenital abnormalities. It'd be too obvious who I was to say as they are really quite rare!

@merlotqueen I definitely don't enjoy it as every time I see a Dr I hear "You're complicated aren't you" confused. I always end up having to fight for help.

HeadintheiClouds Wed 24-Jul-19 00:27:00

Stop eating the food that causes the symptoms.

itscallednickingbentcoppers Wed 24-Jul-19 00:29:35

It is a bit boring when people go on and on about their medical problems. DH has health anxiety and it's hard to muster up the sympathy he requires for minor problems, say, a cold, when all my medical problems aren't acknowledged (because his are so serious eg said cold even if I have the same coldconfused)

Anyway maybe just see a doctor and ask for testing and keep a food diary rather than getting annoyed with your family for not giving you sympathy.

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:30:08

@HeadintheiClouds It was an éclair that I reacted to this evening so it had - milk, eggs, wheat etc - wouldn't it be best to know if it was one of these things? Most of the things in there are quite hard to avoid.

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:32:02

@itscallednickingbentcoppers I don't want sympathy just not to be made to feel like I'm nuts because I'm struggling with some foods.

HeadintheiClouds Wed 24-Jul-19 00:32:46

Why would you suddenly react to things you’ve eaten before. Stop eating eclairs, they’re not essential to health.
Did you really go to a doctor with a possible eclair allergy?!

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:34:45

@HeadintheiClouds You hear of people having sudden reactions to things all of the time. No I didn't go to the Dr's because I think I'm allergic to éclairs.

HeadintheiClouds Wed 24-Jul-19 00:35:53

Maybe they need to out you on an exclusion diet.

Aquamarine1029 Wed 24-Jul-19 00:36:33

bread and pastry type things and my throat is spasming and I get like a nauseated feeling a bit like gagging.

Then WHY are you still eating them? confused

Wakeupalready Wed 24-Jul-19 00:38:14

Have you had the full allergy tests done recently? Would be worthwhile.
There may well be something else that has developed over time. As others have said, keep a food diary and note when you react, I 'd also include some of the more common cleaning and washing products in the diary too, there could be a connection there.
And as the possessor of a rare genetic disease myself that requires a lengthy explanation, I personally keep most of my random weird symptoms to myself unless someone specifically asks, or I can't actually move on a particular day. I keep my commentary and the what the hell is this for my doctors, otherwise my family would probably go insane.

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:43:30

@Wakeupalready I will bear that in mind! I don't go on about any of my health problems. I'd only mentioned it to DP this evening because I'd come out in hives and I'm not a hivey person usually. I haven't been allergy tested for a while.

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:44:48

@Aquamarine1029 because I thought "You can't suddenly become allergic" but apparently from what I've heard, you can.

HeadintheiClouds Wed 24-Jul-19 00:45:13

The hives will be the heat?

HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy Wed 24-Jul-19 00:49:41

@HeadintheiClouds it's a possibility although our house has been fairly cool today

Wakeupalready Wed 24-Jul-19 00:49:44

@HelpMeHelpMeINeedARemedy
Definitely get tested then.
There are a few elimination style diets about, I think the Gap is one. I have a close friend who was having all sorts of new problems on top of her autoimmune diseases, and cutting out everything and gradually reintroducing various foods was very effective in targeting things that were causing her to react. Hives were included in her list of problems.

In the meantime - drop all wheat products. Wheat wrecks me but I'm not a celiac - it just doesn't treat my system well. I feel much better without it, though you'd be amazed at how many things contain wheat.

FloofenHoofen Wed 24-Jul-19 00:50:14

Yeah to be fair I've had heat rash that came on quite suddenly due to the heat. It was really itchy and hive like so not just some random spots.
I think you'd be better doing elimination and seeing what helps/doesn't help.

Tigger365 Wed 24-Jul-19 00:52:24

If it helps OP, I’m another that has developed a whole host of new allergies recently.
Someone mentioned that women have a shift every 8 years or so, and new medical problems, allergies, likes, dislikes etc develop. Don’t know how true it is.

However, someone a bit smarter suggested an immunologist. That might be better.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »