Advanced search

Can't get a passport or driving licence

(177 Posts)
NoPoshMates Mon 22-Jul-19 22:29:51

NC for obvious reasons.

I'm getting really worried about my driving licence. It's still the old paper sort, but I've moved house and married since it was issued. I can now afford to send off for the photocard version, but since the new type came in, I haven't known anyone who's qualified to countersign it. I was born in England, as were my parents, but I can't get a passport for the same reason.

Two years ago I only knew 2 friends who were not relations and they are not 'posh enough' for the DVLA or Passport Office - a barmaid and the unemployed wife of a train driver. Literally just those two people, no acquaintances or anything.

I am a shy person and up to last year I rarely went out (for about 20 years) because we had no money. Although I have some more friends now, I only met them when we moved here a year ago and I don't know them well enough to expect them to lie for me, and I wouldn't want to do something like that anyway.

I'm worried sick that my driving licence isn't legal, and I want to put it right, but what can I do? I can't stop driving because my DH is disabled.

I managed to get married without needing a passport or driving licence. And I honestly don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to drive or leave the country, just because I don't have any friends who are librarians or magistrates.

What can I do?

UrsulaPandress Mon 22-Jul-19 22:31:41

Can you ask your doctor? Or dentist?

Mustbetimeforachange Mon 22-Jul-19 22:31:52

Do you have children? Head teachers sometimes can sign. Or your GP or dentist?
Manager at work?

PerfectlyNormalThankYou Mon 22-Jul-19 22:32:05

Ask your doctor? Or if you have kids, one of their teachers? Or ask a health professional that is involved in any care for your DH?

Vibiano Mon 22-Jul-19 22:32:27

They don't have to be your friends, they just have to have known you for 2 years

NetballHoop Mon 22-Jul-19 22:35:09

Your GP can authenticate your photo for a passport. They may make a charge but it shouldn't be too much.

You do need to update your driving licence. It isn't hard and they will fine you if you don't. Please do it as soon as you can.

Orangesox Mon 22-Jul-19 22:37:06

Doctors have specifically been removed from the list for passports now unless they are a personal friend.

If your DH is disabled, am I correct in assuming he has involvement with health professionals other than Doctors? If so, and they’ve met you over longer than the last two years, then most will happily oblige.

I’m a Occupational Health Nurse, and I’ll happily sign for our employees (who are essentially my patients)

TheInvestigator Mon 22-Jul-19 22:37:25

A doctor is not allowed to sign it, unless they actually know you well and would be able to look at a photo and say "oh, that's noposhmates". If your doctor can't pick you out of a line up or recognise you walking down the street, then they can't sign it.

TheInvestigator Mon 22-Jul-19 22:39:12

If you have apaper licencethat was issued pre-1998, these generally don'texpireuntil you're 70, so you don't need todoanything until then unless your address or personal details change. Alllicencesmust be in the photocard format by 2033.

You say you've moved address, so you really do need to get it done.

CrazyCatLady159 Mon 22-Jul-19 22:39:13

I'm a nursery nurse and I've signed loads of driving licences / passports since I qualified 12 years ago ..... do you have any children that go to school?

TroysMammy Mon 22-Jul-19 22:41:07

GP's are not on the Passport Office approved list of occupations.

lljkk Mon 22-Jul-19 22:41:50

This being Mumsnet... do you have children? Teachers can sign. A nursery business owner could probalby sign.

I wonder if a Notory Public could do it. £50 charge, possibly (phone around for cheapest). Total pain. Sympathy!

Do you know anyone who owns their own business, b/c company directors can sign. That might extend to people like an electrician or your plumber, depending what their business structure is.

Andonandonan Mon 22-Jul-19 22:41:57

As a teacher I often sign for the children in my class, their parents etc. Is that an option?

NoPoshMates Mon 22-Jul-19 22:43:18

My previous GP wouldn't know me from a hole in the ground, as I was almost never ill, and I've never met my current GP. And I think they don't allow doctors anyway now unless they are your friend who just happens to be a doctor. The dentist wouldn't know me. My kids are adults and I don't know any teachers from more than a year ago. I have been self-employed for 10 years, so no manager either.

SuzieSunshine Mon 22-Jul-19 22:44:55

I've just reapplied to renew my DL as I had to change my surname, address and add an up to date picture. DL has been out of date for about 10yrs+. I didn't have to get anyone to sign my new photo - get the forms from your Post Office and have a read. I don't think you will have a problem.

whyevencare Mon 22-Jul-19 22:45:43

I was in the same position as i never got round to getting the new photo licence after passing my test confused I did not need to get it countersigned , just get the D1 form from post office or apply online for photocard licence. You can also advise change of address on this form too - I had also moved house.

dementedpixie Mon 22-Jul-19 22:48:13

Have you ever had a passport? You dont need a passport to update your driving licence

juls1888 Mon 22-Jul-19 22:48:16

If you are self employed do you have an accountant or lawyer? Or could you ask one of your suppliers to verify for you?

CoolLikeOvie Mon 22-Jul-19 22:48:31

I passed my test last year, but have had my provisional for the past 9 years, and never needed a counter signature.

themouldneverbotheredmeanyway Mon 22-Jul-19 22:48:46

If you can't think of anyone to sign, then contact the passport office and ask their advice. You won't be the first person in this position.

don't see why I shouldn't be allowed to drive or leave the country, just because I don't have any friends who are librarians or magistrates

That's clearly not the reason. Someone needs to certify your identity, and they deem someone with a profession, company director etc to be trustworthy and have something to lose from lying about your identity. It also doesn't need to be a friend.

But if you literally know nobody suitable - not the publican where your barmaid friend works? - contact the relevant office and ask what you can do.

Likethebattle Mon 22-Jul-19 22:48:53

Your friends husband the train driver can do it. My friend is a carer and able to sign, the list they give is just indicative. It doesn’t need to be a ‘posh’ profession and a train driver would actually qualify. Mine was signed by my dad’s friend and he was an engineer.

SuzieSunshine Mon 22-Jul-19 22:49:18

Sorry meant to add that I also downloaded an up to date photo for my passport renewal and that didn't have to be signed either.
Best of Luck!!

dementedpixie Mon 22-Jul-19 22:50:13

You need the form, photo, proof of name change. No countersignature need for diving licence

TheInvestigator Mon 22-Jul-19 22:50:15

You didn't need it signed because you already have a photocards license. As long as you are recognisable in the old photo compared to the new, then you don't need it signed. They can see that it is still you. The OP has never had a photocards license. They have no idea what she looks like. She could send in a picture of anyone she wanted too and have it put on her license if no signature was required.
They need it signed because it is her first one.

TheInvestigator Mon 22-Jul-19 22:51:47

Same goes for passport. Yours was a renewal. Not a first passport. They can compare your old and new photo. They can't do that for the OP. For the first one, they need proof.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »