Talk

Advanced search

to be really shaken up by this

(78 Posts)
isitwhatitis Thu 18-Jul-19 14:12:15

I have bad anxiety. I know this phone call was complete bollocks but it's really got to me
My phone just rang from an 0300 number. I answered and had a man's voice telling me that the call is from HMRC and there is a tax fraud case against me and I don't press 1 now then I will be arrested shortly.
I'm going out to collect my DCs from school soon and I can't stop shaking. I'll be OK in a moment but I'm disgusted that people can do this.

Sexnotgender Thu 18-Jul-19 14:13:25

It’s a well known scam. Please try and relax, absolutely nothing is going to happen to you.

Drivemecrazy1974 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:13:31

It's a complete scam - this one has been doing the rounds for ages. Ignore it. Do not respond. Do not talk to them and definitely do NOT press number 1......

Thurmanmurman Thu 18-Jul-19 14:16:43

I had this too, ignore it it’s a scam. No way that HMRC would contact you in that manner.

Aquamarine1029 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:17:54

Just laugh it off. It's total bollocks.

GreenFingersWouldBeHandy Thu 18-Jul-19 14:19:25

It's a scam. I hope you didn't press #1...

cushioncovers Thu 18-Jul-19 14:19:30

It's a scam they've probably phoned thousands of people this week already. Try to forget about it

Basecamp65 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:21:51

Do not worry about this - you have not been targeted in any way - these work by auto dialling millions of random numbers and hoping someone somewhere picks up - the press 1 is what connects you to the people or more likely an automated system asking you for your bank details - it is only at that point that they would even know which number has been answered and therefore real......

thisnamechanger Thu 18-Jul-19 14:22:01

I used to get this a few times a week. I called the guy a few times just to chat and he got really mad with me for some reason. Used language not fitting to a member of her majs revenue and customs.

isitwhatitis Thu 18-Jul-19 14:28:02

no I didn't press 1 as i knew it was a scam but it still really shook me up
i've reported it via reporting.actionfraud.police.uk

Hidingtonothing Thu 18-Jul-19 14:28:34

Totally understand OP, you know it's a scam but it still shakes you up, it's just so intrusive for one thing. Try and have a cuppa and a calm down before you have to go for DC flowers

IceQueenCometh Thu 18-Jul-19 14:50:15

Total scam. Ignore.

MissB83 Thu 18-Jul-19 14:52:42

It's a scam. HMRC don't usually ring you to tell you when they are planning to come and arrest you!

DontFundHate Thu 18-Jul-19 14:54:19

Sorry you're upset. Take the kids to the park? Get some fresh air, takeaway, try to relax. I totally know how you feel, look after yourself

Jebuschristchocolatebar Thu 18-Jul-19 14:56:12

My dad has whistle and he give its shrill blow down the phone. For some reason it really annoys crank callers

LakieLady Thu 18-Jul-19 14:57:50

Entirely reasonable OP, but except for smuggling, HMRC don't use their powers of arrest very often, and when they do, it's most commonly for VAT fraud.

A friend who is someone senior in HMRC once told me that they have greater powers than the police, which quite surprised me.

isitwhatitis Thu 18-Jul-19 14:58:36

Jesus, you couldn't make this up. I thought I'd get my favourite iced frappe from the local petrol station. That's the one that the police use to get their coffees when out in the unmarked cars. In I go and there are two uniformed officers waiting by the counter. One of them said you don't look pleased to see us, what's up and we had a laugh about it.

dottiedodah Thu 18-Jul-19 15:03:44

Telephone scams are really annoying .There is one we have had several times .Faux American womans voice"Press 9 or your BT Broadband connection will be disconnected tonight!".Yes love ,but DH works for BT and gets it free!

namechanged2000 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:05:16

They phoned me several times the other day. I blocked the number.

I did want to press one to see if someone answered the phone...

lesleyw1953 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:13:51

Please tell me what happens if you press 1! The curiosity is killing me ...

LoveGrowsWhere Thu 18-Jul-19 15:15:14

If you have a mobile why not get rid of your landline? We did a year ago and don't miss it at all.

PuzzledObserver Thu 18-Jul-19 15:16:33

I get where you’re coming from. I also suffer from anxiety and at one point it was triggered by a combination of cold marketing and scam calls (virtually daily) and one particular person ringing me a lot needing support. I got so that I started hyperventilating every time the phone rang. I had to install a call blocker to at least block out the scam calls.

Try to chill - do you use any relaxation techniques to help with your anxiety?

exWifebeginsat40 Thu 18-Jul-19 15:23:32

i had someone suspended from ebay this week - they started with an accusation that my item wasn’t as described - it is. he then went on to tell me that i was breaking the law, i replied that i wasn’t and then it all got very weird.

he started quoting the Fraud Act at me; saying he and other ‘experts’ were watching me and that the Police were cracking down on ‘this sort of thing’.

luckily, he did all of this over ebay messaging, and by the time i reported him, they’d already taken action.

it has really shaken me. rationally, i know he was was a nutter and probably messaged thirty people that day. but, it still frightened me.

OP, block the number and go about your business.

Crochetymum Thu 18-Jul-19 15:25:46

I had it yesterday, and my heart did start racing, but if HMRC want you they'll send a letter, that's all I thought.

isitwhatitis Thu 18-Jul-19 15:34:33

If you have a mobile why not get rid of your landline? We did a year ago and don't miss it at all.

The call was on my mobile! My mobile that's registered with the TPS.
I had an automated email back from the action fraud department saying they would log the details but that it wasn't a criminal offence to phone people like that.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »