Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed by WhatsApp group chats

(35 Posts)
Allthebiscuits Wed 17-Jul-19 23:41:33

My phone was pinging away from 9pm. I stopped the work I was doing to see what exciting messages from a dear friend might be awaiting, only to discover I'd been added to a work WhatsApp group?! Too thrilling were the exchanges that I won't bore you with the details, but there was nothing that couldn't have been conveyed in an email. But of course I now have to either put up with the tedious banter or do the very public 'screw you' and exit the group. The difficulty I have is the lack of consent, any moron can add you to their 'group'. Then there's the ones apparently just created for one off events (hen parties) but they always linger on too uncomfortably long after the event as 'Sue' (the one you don't really know how she knows the bride) updates you over the following two weeks about her recovery from the hangover and how much she misses all the girls....FFS. I'm tempted to just send endless photos of my toddlers in this work WhatsApp, claiming I got confused as it was out of work hours on a SOCIAL media platform. The youngest is potty training, so plenty to update the gang about. Has anyone successfully left a work WhatsApp group without flushing their career down the toilet?

Riverviews Wed 17-Jul-19 23:43:26

Put it on mute?

AppleKatie Wed 17-Jul-19 23:44:09

I hear there are various ones at my work. Mainly for the self important.

Fortunately I’ve never been added grin

Just mute notifications for it. Check it once a day in work time for anything actually relevant.

NCforthis2019 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:44:10

What? You’re an adult - just leave the group. If you really hate it but for some reason are afraid to leave - mute it.

Riverviews Wed 17-Jul-19 23:44:09

But yes. I've left multiple groups without any issues

FourEyesGood Wed 17-Jul-19 23:44:32

As Riverviews said, just mute the conversation.

TheFirstOHN Wed 17-Jul-19 23:44:44

Just mute it. If you want to be polite, check in once a week and make a vaguely supportive comment.

TheFirstOHN Wed 17-Jul-19 23:45:15

Cross posted with so many.

Thattwatoverthere Wed 17-Jul-19 23:45:17

Mute for 8 hours/week/year and check every now and again if there are any updates. Easy.

Allthebiscuits Wed 17-Jul-19 23:49:04

Aha! Thank you MN folk, muted. Is there anyway of automatically deleting the photos they send?

AppleKatie Wed 17-Jul-19 23:51:06

Change your settings so that photos aren’t automatically saved to your camera roll.

Dawnofskeggy1 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:52:21

Yes just mute and change settings. I have done that with a few wink

Poppins2016 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:52:40

You can change your settings to not automatically download photos from Whatsapp. smile

Allthebiscuits Wed 17-Jul-19 23:52:48

Thank you AppleKatie. I feel a lot calmer already.

lastqueenofscotland Thu 18-Jul-19 00:01:26

I’ve got one for a running club I coach at and I mute it I cba with 70 odd people’s tattle.

BackforGood Thu 18-Jul-19 00:06:20

Either just remove yourself from the group, or put in a comment

"Don't really want to be disturbed by work things when I'm at home in the evening - e-mail me if there is something you want to ask and i'll pick it up during my workhours" Then remove self from group.

Plump82 Thu 18-Jul-19 00:10:48

I'm part of a group that's made up of friends. It works well when trying to organise a get together but i hate how some of them use it to send messages to one particular person that doesn't involve any of the rest of us. I dont understand why they can't message them privately.

Shouldbeworkingnotreadingtalk Thu 18-Jul-19 00:31:21

Go to list of chats - swipe left on the one you don't like ... then press mute. They won't know you've muted it. Perfect solution.

Monty27 Thu 18-Jul-19 00:33:56

I'd exit the group tbh. Who wants to do that? confused

memaymamo Thu 18-Jul-19 00:40:27

Just say, "Thanks for this information, but I actually don't use whatsapp for work messaging, sorry. Hope we can discuss XYZ over email or in person tomorrow." [Allthebiscuits has exited the group]

chipsandgin Thu 18-Jul-19 00:52:19

I have a work one - useful on occasion although a lot of blah on there. Just muted & not saving photos so no issue really. Same for the big group of DH’s friends who blather on about nothing the whole time. Once you’ve done that you barely notice them, yet haven’t flounced & occasionally they’re handy to have so you don’t miss plans etc!

MoominKitty Thu 18-Jul-19 00:56:39

I told my work mates the messenger and whatsapp groups are muted and I only check them once a week, so if it's anything important tell me at work or private chat. Hasn't caused issues I know or care of.

Crazy8 Thu 18-Jul-19 01:16:01

I’m on a school with 90 odd mums. I muted mine for a year after endless messages about lost kit/uniform/letters. It’s always the same mums who are constantly on there. Don’t even get me started on the stupid memes and “jokes” that aren’t funny.

Ladiva1971 Thu 18-Jul-19 01:44:28

I was added to a Wassap group for work but soon left it, I was told off for doing so I told them as that as my phone is not a company phone but a personal phone I am under no obligation to use it for work, if work want to pay for my phone I will rejoin the group.

VenusTiger Thu 18-Jul-19 02:10:58

Now that you’ve muted, I’d make a point of only checking them whilst at work and responding during working hours 😏

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »