Talk

Advanced search

Suspicious man picked up on camera

(68 Posts)
mrsdaz Wed 17-Jul-19 23:04:39

We were out this evening for my sons birthday. Whilst out we had a motion detector sensor notification on our camera doorbell. There’s a man lingering around our drive, he doesn’t knock but comes close enough to notice the camera - then backs away and kicks a stone on the drive in either frustration or worry about what to do.

On zooming in he has what looks like a bar or hammer in the back of his jeans. He’s holding a piece of paper and something else in his other hand that looks like a screwdriver or a vaping device.

My hubby thinks we should ignore it but I want to post it onto Facebook local page to see if anyone knows this person and whether he has a reputation.

I basically want to know if he intended to burgle us and to be reassured that the camera had good effect i suppose?

We don’t know him as have quite a clear facial picture.

Jamiefraserskilt Wed 17-Jul-19 23:08:25

I hope you spoke through the doorbell and asked what he wanted? If not then he is acting suspiciously as he didn't ring, post away!

Giraffey1 Wed 17-Jul-19 23:09:27

Why not compromise. Post on your local FB page and say you’ve seen someone hanging around and to be extra vigilant just in case. If it’s innocent then no harm done. If he is dodgy then everyone is forewarned.

sheshootssheimplores Wed 17-Jul-19 23:11:59

I love those doorbells with the camera.

GoodBoyGhost Wed 17-Jul-19 23:17:23

Surely you'd report this to the police?

RubbingHimSourly Wed 17-Jul-19 23:17:50

Ring 101 and log it. Police may recognise him if he has a history.

IncandescentShadow Wed 17-Jul-19 23:17:59

That's very suspicious. I'd email it to the police to see if they have any matching descriptions of similarly behaving individuals.

LoafofSellotape Wed 17-Jul-19 23:20:36

Yes ,FB and Mumsnet is the first place I'd post if a bloke with a hammer was on my drive. I definitely wouldn't ring the police.

Redwinestillfine Wed 17-Jul-19 23:23:14

Show police. He may be on their radar.

AquaPris Wed 17-Jul-19 23:40:33

I would call the police, he's obviously wanting to rob your house

HennyPennyHorror Wed 17-Jul-19 23:42:31

Jamie why would she speak through the door when she was out when the man was there?

OP just report to the police.

MissEliza Wed 17-Jul-19 23:45:18

Definitely report to police and share online.

MrsTerryPratchett Wed 17-Jul-19 23:45:39

Yes ,FB and Mumsnet is the first place I'd post if a bloke with a hammer was on my drive. I definitely wouldn't ring the police.

Excellent sarcasm, well placed. FB FFS. Really?

chzarind Wed 17-Jul-19 23:47:19

Bloody hell don't post it on Facebook.

If you have concerns contact the police.

twattymctwatterson Wed 17-Jul-19 23:47:19

Why would reporting to the police not be your first choice? The guy could have been a tradesman who wasn't 100% on what house he was heading to and realised he had the wrong one.

Don't accuse someone publicly of something- especially as the only benefit it'll actually bring you is likes and shares.

Runkle Wed 17-Jul-19 23:50:58

Just ring 101. Don't go down the social media route..unless you want endless notifications of people saying 'shared in xx hun'

McShakey Thu 18-Jul-19 00:16:47

Ring 101, they can give you real advice

TwistyTop Thu 18-Jul-19 00:21:43

Definitely contact the police

mrsdaz Thu 18-Jul-19 00:30:43

Hubby thinks it’s silly to ring police as they have more important things to be doing and he didn’t actually do anything other than scope out the house it seems.

I have been wondering though whether he proceeded further into the estate and has attempted someone else’s house - hence why i thought to post on the local social media groups.

Thanks for all the replies - I think I’ll ring 111 tomorrow and tell them about it - that way if something has happened then can choose whether to view the Cctv or not.

We were out at my sons bday meal so by the time we responded to the notification it was long enough for him to be out of range to hear us talking through the intercom for those who asked.

AcrossthePond55 Thu 18-Jul-19 00:30:45

Contact the police, tell them what you saw on your camera and let them know that if there has been any trouble in the neighbourhood that you may have the culprit on video.

We have a Ring doorbell and that's what our local sheriff's office has asked Ring owners to do. Our Sheriff's Dept actually posts on the Ring 'neighbours' board with BOLOs or requests for video from certain areas at certain times.

ContactLight Thu 18-Jul-19 00:32:09

Either he's a tradesman at the wrong address (as a pp suggests above) or he's up to no good.

This is a job for the police. They may be extremely interested, especially if other houses in nearby street have already been burgled.

missbattenburg Thu 18-Jul-19 00:34:36

why would she speak through the door when she was out when the man was there?

Because it sounds like the OP has a Ring doorbell, or similar. This is what they do. - allow you to talk to the person at the door even when you are out.

wheresmymojo Thu 18-Jul-19 00:51:25

We've had a spate of similar incidents in our local area.

Our local police liaison officer has asked for all such incidents to be logged with 101 (there is also an online option to do this now) as it helps to identify patterns and also to consider the best use of their resources (for example if an area starts to be targeted).

Everyone also posts on the local FB group to show the short film from their doorbells/CCTV. Not accusing anyone per se but under a post saying 'Had a strange occurrence on our driveway while out overnight, posting just in case anyone else has had similar".

For all you/DH knows someone up the road could have been burgled and your footage could help the case.

DontCallMeShitley Thu 18-Jul-19 01:07:17

There are often such posts and videos on our local FB groups, and the other neighbourhood groups.

One man posted a video of someone looking at his Ring doorbell. He returned later and burgled the house.

People are able to keep an eye out for suspicious activity when others post the information, also see if you have a local Police FB page, often called 'Inside whatever the place is' where you can post or send a message.

notangelinajolie Thu 18-Jul-19 01:30:10

FB seriously? Call the police.

Monty27 Thu 18-Jul-19 01:34:54

And you didn't even go home? Nor call the police? shock confused

LilQueenie Thu 18-Jul-19 01:43:07

he didn’t actually do anything other than scope out the house it seems.

Thats' what they do before breaking in now they will probably target someone else possibly someone more vulnerable. hmm

call the police and let them know.

TypingoftheDead Thu 18-Jul-19 01:44:25

I'd definitely contact the police and show them the footage - it doesn't sound like he was a tradesman, if he didn't even ring the doorbell to see if anyone was in.
I can't believe your husband is saying to just ignore it!

FairyDust92 Thu 18-Jul-19 01:46:18

😦 that sounds scary! Agree with PP's defo contact the police ASAP!

FrogOfFrogHall Thu 18-Jul-19 03:36:30

As others have said I'd email it in to the police, including the date and time it occurred. It's not a waste of their time, if it's not helpful they can just file and ignore. If he's a prolific burglar there's a good chance they will recognise him and the image/video you've got can help inform the intelligence picture or even an evidential case if he is already a suspect for a nearby burglary.

zippey Thu 18-Jul-19 04:42:34

Facebook is great for asking and warning others. Do it!

The police won’t be able to do much as no crime was committed, but no harm informing them.

Zeusthemoose Thu 18-Jul-19 04:58:34

Definitely a tradesman.
Every tradesman I've ever met walks round with a hammer in their back pocket....hmm

Fridaycantsleepdoh1 Thu 18-Jul-19 05:40:17

Deffo report it to police as potentially if any of your neighbours have been burgled last night you’ve got a picture of someone whose done it!

MotherTime3 Thu 18-Jul-19 05:43:27

I’d try the police personally. Don’t ring 111 unless it hurts.

c75kp0r Thu 18-Jul-19 06:08:47

GDPR?

caughtinanet Thu 18-Jul-19 06:22:55

Why are people so incredulous about posting the video on Facebook?

My local page has videos like that pretty much every day and they go down well, people are always either glad about the heads up or sometimes can provide an innocent explanation.

I've even seen a couple of times that the person in the video has posted to say what they were doing.

Nothing wrong with warning people.

How is GDPR relevant?

Greyhound22 Thu 18-Jul-19 06:23:24

You need to contact the police.

The only FB I would use is the village page to say 'man seen acting suspiciously in so-and-so road please remain vigilant'

Our village page won't post unless the police have been contacted.

Please don't post 'anyone seen this joker' and start all of the comments about what they'll do if they'll catch him. Does my head in.

Mummabear12345567889 Thu 18-Jul-19 06:54:02

Ring 101 and report. Recently we've had some odd activity where men have been seen on cctv casing properties.

Thanks for all the replies - I think I’ll ring 111 tomorrow and tell them about it - that way if something has happened then can choose whether to view the Cctv or not.

And ring 101 not 111 OP! You need police advice not health advice! grin

VivienneHolt Thu 18-Jul-19 06:59:26

Don’t plaster it all over Facebook - what if there’s an innocent explanation and you’re ruining someone’s life?!

Report this to the police (not as an emergency). Choosing to use Facebook instead of the proper authorities suggests that your concern for your safety is less of a priority than garnering attention on social media

VivienneHolt Thu 18-Jul-19 07:01:52

I've even seen a couple of times that the person in the video has posted to say what they were doing

Do you honestly not have any creeping sense of dystopian dread about the fact that innocent people are having to defend themselves against a Facebook mob because somebody is posting surveillance pictures of them online...?

c75kp0r Thu 18-Jul-19 07:15:55

My idea that GDPR would apply here is based on two facts and could be completely wrong as I am not an expert despite GDPR having sucked the life out of my body for weeks on end last year:

GDPR applies to individuals not just to organisations
video and CCTV footage of people qualifies as personal data under GDPR
so
I put those two facts together to think that GDPR would apply when you take someone's image and post it on facebook without their knowledge or consent. Unless you have a sign outside your house telling people you are recording them and could publish their picture.

lljkk Thu 18-Jul-19 07:19:51

If you do contact police, Let us know what police say or do.

caughtinanet Thu 18-Jul-19 07:29:30

How would someone's live be ruined Vivienneholt?

I've seen things like someone looking for a lost dog, trying to find a particular house where the numbering isn't clear etc

Obviously if someone owned up to scoping out for a later robbery they might make their own life difficult but I can't see how anyone going about their normal day could have their life ruined.

My local police page also has private cctv footage on all the time asking for the public to identify people, I'm pretty sure there are no GDPR issues

Alarmclockstop Thu 18-Jul-19 07:29:48

It's not under GDPR you are allowed to take pictures of strangers and post them on the internet.

The police don't come if you have a burglary in process so they won't be reviewing your footage. Put it on the local fb community page

newmomof1 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:37:34

Don’t plaster it all over Facebook - what if there’s an innocent explanation and you’re ruining someone’s life?!

Report this to the police (not as an emergency).

So putting someone's picture on SM will ruin their life but a police investigation won't?

I think you've got yourself a bit muddled up there @VivienneHolt...

newmomof1 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:37:58

^bold fail

ZillaPilla Thu 18-Jul-19 07:39:20

People in our village post suspicious looking activity on the local FB page, just to alert people, or see if anyone else has had the same, or so that people can check on the vulnerable.

Seems quite a logical thing to do to me.

Although maybe someone with a hammer skulking around warrants higher level intervention!

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:42:03

So you're husband want you to ignore the man who could have potentially harmed your family?

Have you had a recent altercation with your husband? Sounds like hes trying to throw you off a scent.

Report to the police.

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Thu 18-Jul-19 07:47:02

I can relate to above poster regarding GDPR.
My dad woke up to find someone had snapped a key off in his motorbike and the lock was on, someone had tried to steal it.

Dad installed a camera on his house, very high quality with motion detection and night vision. He caught people, maybe same people will never know, trying to steal it again. The police point blank refused to view his CCTV as we aa much as we can record the public, it cannot be used against anyone.

IveNotSlept Thu 18-Jul-19 07:49:10

We have a local fb group where people share pictures of people such as this lurking, it's great and I think helps as a deterrent. It also gives people a heads up to remember to lock doors etc.

We had a big problem with travellers quite recently and they were literally walking onto property and looking through windows etc. Crime rocketed. It's encouraged us to up security, so yes post away and warn your local community.

gingersausage Thu 18-Jul-19 08:01:21

I can just imagine our local police if I rang them to report a person near my front door. After they had stopped laughing, they would probably charge me with wasting police time.

Considering they won’t come out if you get your car stolen out of your drive, your livestock stolen out of your field, or your tools stolen out of your van, someone standing near a doorstep would be less than zero priority.

I would truly love to live where some people on here do (and that’s not sarcasm) where stuff is actually important to the police. In rural areas, they literally don’t give a shit about anything. Community Facebook groups are the only way to deal with stuff like this.

caughtinanet Thu 18-Jul-19 08:05:08

Poppingoneout - I don't think that's right about using cctv in court, I think there are circumstances when it can be used, maybe they didn't apply in your case but I'm pretty sure that's not a blanket rule.

Pigflewpast Thu 18-Jul-19 08:11:00

Of course cctv can be used in Court, it’s how a lot of burglars are convicted. We were told to get cctv by police and our cctv has been used to convict a neighbour of harassment many times. ( the fact they’re still here to carry on is another thread)

PoppingOneOutIn2020 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:20:13

@caughtinanet it might be just our local police policy? Should have some clear rules on it though as it seems a lot of people arent sure if it can be used or not.

To be fair I never understood why or how they could say they couldn't use CCTV from someones house to investigate a crime. Just seems absolutely bonkers.

NicciLovesSundays Thu 18-Jul-19 08:22:52

Report it to the police. Do not post the images to facebook.

Sandybval Thu 18-Jul-19 08:25:48

I'd email them to the police, or PM them on Facebook (most not have social media pages). It's not an emergency, but it could help them with other enquiries, and in honesty even with a camera it's not certain he won't come back to your house. Those channels will be monitored as and when so won't be diverting police time away from emergencies; and if they aren't interested (which they likely will be) then no harm done. I wouldn't post on social media, if they see it and know where you live which they do they might think screw it may as well do something now. Don't put yourself in any danger.

LuckyLou7 Thu 18-Jul-19 08:25:59

111 is for health advice OP, please don't phone them. I would report to local police, there may have been a spate of burglaries recently and this man could be responsible. it doesn't sound like he was innocently loitering on your drive from what you've described. I wouldn't go down the social media route.

Likethebattle Thu 18-Jul-19 10:17:00

This happens on our village Facebook and then the hysteria starts. ‘I just saw a random van anyone know who it is?’ ‘There are two guys parked up in a car, i’m just gonna run down and have a ‘chat’, see what they are up to!’

Someone even posted about a suspicious van at night which was the milkman ffs!

RosaWaiting Thu 18-Jul-19 10:17:52

caughtinanet "people are always either glad about the heads up or sometimes can provide an innocent explanation."

I'd agree people are glad for a heads up but I'm curious to know what explanations have been offered?

RosaWaiting Thu 18-Jul-19 10:18:50

I came off the local WhatsApp for mum's area because they were sending constant messages of "ooh, does anyone recognise this car". But I do think what OP saw is worth contacting 101 for.

BluebellsAndRoses Thu 18-Jul-19 10:20:37

Of course you should report it to the police!
It's their JOB to stop criminals - burglars included!

FrogOfFrogHall Thu 18-Jul-19 10:21:17

By the way police would never charge you with wasting police time for honestly sharing information with them with good intentions. Even if the information isn't useful to them. Wasting police time is more for when people have been dishonest and made false reports (that can be proven to be false) or repeated nuisance calls to the emergency number etc.

Cheeserton Thu 18-Jul-19 10:26:27

Someone apparently equipped to break in loitering near your door? Yes, Police!

'Better things to do' or 'they won't be interested' is tripe. You have a photo, he may be known or they could link him to actual offences. Report it (non-emergency line, obvs).

shirlm Thu 18-Jul-19 10:49:00

Yes ring 101, log with police. He may have gone elsewhere afterwards so this may be really helpful evidence..

browzingss Thu 18-Jul-19 11:00:29

You can call 101 or the police force’s online web chat to report this, they’ll let you know know if an officer would like to see the footage or not.

Ticklemeelmo Thu 18-Jul-19 11:32:54

Report it to the police and let them know you have clear cctv footage.

Years ago I had a guy walk up off the street and look right into my living room window, when I rang 101 they said I should have called 999 instead- so they should definitely take yours seriously.

mussolini9 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:12:53

If it’s innocent then no harm done.

Yup, 'cos posting vids of innocent people on social media & accusing them of criminal activity isn't over the top at all.
How would YOU feel if it happened to you & you were plastered all over your local FB page for locals to gossip & speculate about?

OP - if you are convinced this man was definitely planning nefarious activity FFS dial 111 & send them a clip of the video. Posting about it on MN isn't going to help you.

mussolini9 Thu 18-Jul-19 17:13:46

apologies, dial 101 of course!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »