Talk

Advanced search

to be fuming that my toddler's antibiotics are luminous yellow, for no good reason

(24 Posts)
wulfricsmummy Mon 30-Jul-07 12:30:16

Message withdrawn

HuwEdwards Mon 30-Jul-07 12:32:21

If you're fuming, email the company and ask them why - there may be a good reason for it.

IntergalacticWalrus Mon 30-Jul-07 12:34:37

I think it's to make it more "appealing" to children.

It's not ideal, but he's not going to be taking it over a long period so any risk from additives etc is less tham minimal, I'd say.

I see where you are coming from though

Brangelina Mon 30-Jul-07 12:36:27

You can actually get a non branded version which is pretty much colourless (pale pink IIRC). Can you not ask the chemist if this is the only brand they have available or if there are any others?

2shoes Mon 30-Jul-07 17:33:36

have to say the yellow one was the only one ds would take. he had LOTS of ear infections and in the end I asked for that one as I didn't have to sit on him to make him take it, surely most children don't have to take inti biotics that often for the additives to matter.

FluffyMummy123 Mon 30-Jul-07 17:34:28

Message withdrawn

ProjectSeverus Mon 30-Jul-07 17:35:29

that one sent my dd1 mental.

5 months old and wouldn't sleep. at all. for days. it has e104 in it iirc.

mummymagic Mon 30-Jul-07 17:38:22

Totally agree. I think its absolutely ridiculous. Colourings, flavourings, sweeteners in medicine are my bugbears. Even Calpol is pink and sweet and tastes of fake strawberries! There are none that have no colourings AND flavourings AND sweeteners (although you can get paracetamol without colours). Its medicine, they're not supposed to like it.

weirdbird Mon 30-Jul-07 19:16:01

Have never forgotten my DD1 after having antibiotics (the yellow one) suddenly she started running around the room in circles, like a dog chasing its own tail and didnt stop for over an hour. This was when I realised she had a serious intolerance to colouring.

SO yes it is a HUGE pain and a bugbear.

Though would be sad to see calpol change, I LOVED Calpol as a kid

SueW Mon 30-Jul-07 19:40:20

No need for colours. Piriton is colourless. Kids still take it without too much hassle.

MerlinsBeard Mon 30-Jul-07 19:42:08

you can ask for additive free meds as well as sugar free you know

allgonebellyup Mon 30-Jul-07 19:43:39

Calpol is YUM

i could drink it all day (and sometimes do, though rather an expensive tipple i must say)

idle Mon 30-Jul-07 19:43:47

You can ask for them.

But they don't have them.

(DS1, currently on his second lot of vile fluorescent orange antibiotics as the first lot didn't work (and this lot not working either ). This lot orange and pineapple, I'm assured, although the closest this medicine's ever been to a pineapple is in my kitchen, I think)

hunkermunker Mon 30-Jul-07 19:44:07

Whoops - sorry - seems to keep me logged in as vvv

Kewcumber Mon 30-Jul-07 19:44:30

I agree - never see the point of adding colouring except where perhaps the original is an unappetising sludgy green maybe.

TiredFedUpNanny Mon 30-Jul-07 19:45:46

Same as when I was a kid and it was always either yellow or pink. My mum reckons there's no harm colourings can do that antibiotics won't do worse!

TiredFedUpNanny Mon 30-Jul-07 19:47:30

Having been in a life threatening position where I needed antibiotics - red, green or rainbow - I think so long as they do their job, it's fine. I don't see why they need to make medicine appealing to kids though. As far as I can remember, those pink and yellow ones tasted nice, because of the sugars probably, but even so, medicine isn't meant to taste nice, and we don't want kids getting addicted to it. I was once addicted to linctus!!

SydneyB Mon 30-Jul-07 19:50:15

Think the yellow is somehow related to fake banana flavour. Whole house seems to be dyed yellow now. Didn't realise you could ask for flavour/colour free. That banana smell took me right back to my own childhood refusing medicines.

christywhisty Mon 30-Jul-07 20:34:16

but you don't want the medicine to taste so horrible that the child won't take it.

DS had to have fluxocillen when he was a toddler and it is the most disgusting tasting medicine you can have.
I tried to hide it in his dinner, his milk, drinks everything, he would not touch anything with it in.

It was only when tasted it that I found it out how foul it was.
Then DD needed a skin graft and they said they were going to give her fluxocillin, I paniced thinking I would never get it down her, but thankfully they gave it intraveniously during the operation.

Must admit the rare times mine have shown hyperactivity was when they had been on antibiotics.

2shoes Mon 30-Jul-07 21:24:34

ds had to take loads when he was small. he liked the yellow one and it made life easier and things better for him. really can't see the harm in it.

MadEyeMisdee Mon 30-Jul-07 21:28:25

arent each diffgerent type coloured a different colour?

2shoes Mon 30-Jul-07 21:33:08

i hate the ones that have to be taken an hour before food. have to tell gp to not to prescribe them to dd(sn) as there is never an hour before food

wulfricsmummy Tue 31-Jul-07 12:02:22

Message withdrawn

hannahsaunt Tue 31-Jul-07 12:06:42

I agree that there may be an issue with what they use to actually make the colour but drugs do all need to be differentiated for ease of patient use - may not be an issue for you because he's only on one medication at the moment but for others it is necessary and colour is one way to do this. It needs to be consistent and you wouldn't imagine the number of people who would only be able to describe to a nurse or a doctor the range of medicine they or their child are taking just by size, shape, colour etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now