Talk

Advanced search

To think that owning a second home to use as a holiday home is extremely selfish?

(841 Posts)
benadrylcucumberpatch Wed 17-Jul-19 13:26:30

It would be a different story if there was a surplus of vacant properties . As it stands holiday home owners turn communities into ghost towns, inflate prices in desirable areas (many of which are rural with low wages) and displace people who would live in the property full time.

Aibu to think this is selfish and reprehensible? Why are such people not villified for taking more than they need in such an extreme way?

IsobelRae23 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:29:50

You’ll have loads of people disagreeing with you, however I do agree with you.

SummerSeasoning Wed 17-Jul-19 13:33:44

I agree.

Annabk Wed 17-Jul-19 13:33:58

My aunt has a holiday home.
She also has no children so has never taken up a space on a maternity ward or any spaces at local schools. My other aunt has 7 children.
Which is more selfish and taking up more resources? It’s all relative.

mrsnair Wed 17-Jul-19 13:33:56

Totally agree. Not identical to your OP but similar, I live in a "luxury modern" apartment block in central London and it's deserted with most properties owned by overseas investors and keep the properties empty. Infuriates me.

MyOpinionIsValid Wed 17-Jul-19 13:35:26

There are thousands of vacant properties. Whether they are where people want to live is another matter. I see swathes of empty houses in the North East. Our LA relocates people to Manchester, where there are apparently lots of empy properties.

So YABU - there is plenty of housing.

www.rics.org/uk/news-insight/future-of-surveying/sustainable-building/empty-homes-the-true-picture/

Birmingham: 4,280
Bradford: 3,931
Liverpool: 3,889
Leeds: 2,709
Sheffield: 2,204
Sefton: 1,856
Sunderland: 1,779
Doncaster: 1,628
Newcastle upon Tyne: 1,595
Wakefield: 1,526

37 out of 53 areas with high levels of vacant property are in the North East.

What you really mean OP is why wont anyone invest in these areas and regenerate them?

NotSuchASmugMarriedNow1 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:37:02

There is no reason why the people selling those houses can't sell them to a local family instead of second home owners

CitadelsofScience Wed 17-Jul-19 13:37:08

Totally agree, it shouldn't be allowed.

Our area is extremely highly priced and a very popular place for the country set. They buy holiday homes here yet our young can't get on the housing ladder and local towns and cities have so many homeless on the streets it makes you want to weep.

I actually know a family with a second home near me. I no longer talk to them very much anymore.

Teddybear45 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:37:12

Why should people be vilified for doing something legal?

verticality Wed 17-Jul-19 13:38:35

I do take your point, but I'm not sure it's any worse morally than being a landlord or employing people and not paying them the full value of their labour (i.e. running a private company). Aren't all three the same?

Seren10 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:38:55

@mrsnair I don't mean this is a snappy/snarky tone at all but why does that bother you? less neighbours, less noise?

NiceLegsShameAboutTheFace Wed 17-Jul-19 13:39:40

Why are such people not villified for taking more than they need in such an extreme way?

Wow. A tad extreme, wouldn't you say? Do you take absolutely nothing that you don't need?

benadrylcucumberpatch Wed 17-Jul-19 13:39:53

So vacant properties in the north east means people from the south west for example should uproot and move away from their family friends and communities..... So that rich second home owners can have holiday homes in the 'prettiest' areas?

5foot5 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:40:30

I don't own a second home and don't really want to. However, I benefit from the fact that some people do because when we go on holiday we usually rent a cottage - either abroad or in this country.

Therefore if no holiday homes existed lots of people would not be able to have the sort of holiday they choose.

Mac47 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:40:32

I'm from an area where this happens. It has destroyed the community and young people have to move away as they can't afford to stay local. London or other big cities, one expects to move away, not small rural areas. Second homes have taken the soul out of the area.

benadrylcucumberpatch Wed 17-Jul-19 13:43:41

NiceLegsShameAboutTheFace of course I use resources I don't need, as does everyone on this country but this thread is specifically about housing (see title)

Graymare Wed 17-Jul-19 13:43:59

Totally agree OP. It is very sad that in some parts of the country local families are unable to remain in the area their family has lived in, sometimes for generations.

mummymeister Wed 17-Jul-19 13:44:05

If you a second home and you decide to make it into a holiday let then providing you meet all the advertising and letting criteria (which arent very onerous and would be doable by everyone) then you are exempted from council tax because the home is classed as a business and business rates apply. But, and this is the big BUT, if you are under a certain business rate value which the vast majority of single holiday lets are, then you exempted from business rates as well. so, you own a lovely 3 bedroom cottage in a seaside town in cornwall you keep to the letting rules and pay no council tax and no business rates. thats what gets to me. the inequality of people who can afford to buy a second home being subsidised by locals who live in theirs.

Looneytune253 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:46:19

Wow: So that rich second home owners can have holiday homes in the 'prettiest' areas?

I live in the north east and it's waaaaaaaay prettier than the south!! In fact I can't think of anywhere prettier!!

Teddybear45 Wed 17-Jul-19 13:47:41

@Looneytune253 - Agreed.

Ginnymweasley Wed 17-Jul-19 13:48:23

I agree. There are quite a few holiday homes near me and they are empty for most of the year. It pushes housing prices up and is pricing out many of the local people which is a huge shame.

Herocomplex Wed 17-Jul-19 13:49:02

Unoccupied flats and houses owned by overseas residents should be taxed at 100% of the property value and the revenue used for housing. Lots of countries have legislation that prevents overseas investors owning property and not living in it/renting it out.
This is going to get a lot worse as the free market politicians get more of a grip, investment regulation will be eroded.

BloomsButtons Wed 17-Jul-19 13:50:17

@Looneytune253 the North East is stunning!

ItsBloodyFreezingg Wed 17-Jul-19 13:50:28

I'm torn on this because I do absolutely see your point and I actually agree in principal.

But then one of my family members owns a house abroad that we use for holidays and I love it so I feel like a huge hypocrite!

PositiveVibez Wed 17-Jul-19 13:52:49

This is an issue on the Isle of Man apparently.

Many people have to move to the mainland for work and housing as they cannot afford the trumped up prices due to people having holiday homes on the island.

It doesn't seem fair. I agree with you OP.

*My aunt has a holiday home.
She also has no children so has never taken up a space on a maternity ward or any spaces at local schools*

Nothing to do with the price of fish I'm afraid.

If she has a holiday home that nobody lives in for most of the year, or regents it out at a profit to holiday renters, the increased value of that house makes it nigh on impossible for 'natives' to purchase property there. Upshot being they have to move out of their communities to accommodate holiday makers.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »